Question: Tornado devices and miniSD compatibility

Guest jakobdam

Guest jakobdam

Ok - I know that SPV C500 (HTC Typhoon) and devices before that, have problems with Multi Level Cell (MLC) structures.

Only Single Level Cell (SLC) flash cards will work properly on my SPV C500; using MLC miniSD-cards (such as Kingston 512 MB miniSD) will cause unstability and problems writing big files.

Does anyone here know if the Tornado devices are suffering from the same problem with MLC miniSD-cards?

Known MLC miniSD card providers:

• Kingston

• Toshiba

• Transcend

So if you have a miniSD card from one of the above listed providers, please write here! :)

Edited by jakobdam

Guest shadamehr

Paul, as far as I know, the 1GB SanDisk card, and indeed most 1GB cards, are all SLC now.

So I am not sure if the OP is meaning BIG cards, or old cards.

As BIG cards tend to be SLC anyway.

(Though according to MobyMemory, not ALL are)

Just the majority of them.

Guest saintone1

I am currently using a 2GB mini SD card from TECIC that I bought in Taiwan. Cost me NT$5000 which is about US$150 / EUR130 / UK86

It works perfecting in my Dopod 577W (SP5).

more info about this card can be found here (site is in Chinese, sorry):

http://www.mml.com.tw/topicdetail.php?f=243&t=59595#376037

Note: The pictures below are not of my phone.

post-158999-1132282870_thumb.jpg

post-158999-1132282931_thumb.jpg

Edited by saintone1

Guest saintone1
2GB? I'm jealous now (although I do have a 4GB SD in my hx4700!)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The company who is selling them in Taiwan expects more to hit the market very soon. Basically, if a 4GB SD card is available, the 2GB mini-SD card is not far behind.

But it is sweet to have so much video and music space.

p.s. Thanks for all the tweaks..

Guest jakobdam

Thanks for the replies, although I haven't heard from anyone confirming or dismissing that Multi Level Cell miniSD-cards will or will not work on the Tornado generation. :)

Btw., 4 GB is absolutely maximum in theory - as Windows Mobile runs 32bit, a maximum of 4 GB of RAM can be allocated. BUT - I frankly don't know enough about the architecture in the HTC devices, so maybe if a seperate controller is taking care of the Flash RAM, bigger cards should be possible.

Guest HerpezP

Maybe if you list some of the known brands/sizes that uses MLC, people will easier verify or disprove this theory?

I'm still on my good old C500 with a 1 GB SLC miniSD, so I can't help you much here :)

And btw, AFAIK, the memory allocation in normal-size SD cards (which I assume is the same as in miniSD and probably also microSD cards) will only allow capacities up to 4 GB, although I'm pretty sure they're working on a work-around, if they haven't already found a way to cross that limit.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jakobdam

Sorrera >

Me too - mine is at 512 MB, and I have now changed back to my old SANDisk 256 MB. :)

Jamma14 >>

I use a 512mb kingston in my Hurricane, which is similar to the Tornado, and haven't ever had a problem, if that's any help.

That's definitely NOT any help :) - because now I'm all confused :D ;) :D

I was under the impression that Kingston only does MLC, but either - that means that the Tornado/Hurricane has no problems with MLC, or maybe you have a to me unheard of, type of Kingston miniSD?

I SURE hope that it's because Tornado/Hurricane has no problems with MLC! :)

Thanks for posting mate! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LarsDK

I just saw this thread... :-(

I have just this day recieved a kingston 512MB card that does not work at all, the phone cant even find it. Back to my 256 Sandisk, never had a problem at all...

Edited by LarsDK

Guest LarsDK

Just a minor update and a request.

The card now works in my 8310 after a small detour in my C500. However it is not able to move large files, I am having problems with a file at 75MB. All other files works fine in the 8310.

Regarding the request... When you guys write that it works, will you please test it with a large file before posting a thumbs up :??:

Edited by LarsDK

• 3 weeks later...

Just got Kingston 1GB. I was not able to copy 39MB file on my i-mate SP5. It failed on three attempts. I am going have to return it. :) I wish I have found this post earlier.

During researching Kingston’s website this is what I found:

“NAND Flash cells are rated for normal and heavy-duty use:

• Kingston's standard Flash products are rated at 10,000 write cycles with Multi-Level Cell (MLC) NAND chips

• Kingston's Elite Pro, Ultimate, and its DataTraveler and DataTraveler II Plus - Migo Edition, and DataTraveler Elite are rated at 100,000 write cycles with Single-Level Cell (SLC) NAND chips“

Card I got is standard one which apparently is MLC.

Paul, as far as I know, the 1GB SanDisk card, and indeed most 1GB cards, are all SLC now.

So I am not sure if the OP is meaning BIG cards, or old cards.

As BIG cards tend to be SLC anyway.

(Though according to MobyMemory, not ALL are)

Just the majority of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This may a bit off the sd subject, but it has a sd-card connection. I use the HTC-FARADY version of smartphone made for Cingular as the 2125. Similar to the TORNADO but with a 1900 ghz hump on top...lol. Does anyone know if I can use a mini-sd wifi card with this phone? Will it fit the mini-sd slot....?? any help is appreciated.!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...