Terminal Services

Guest davidjtaylor

Guest davidjtaylor

Please can anyone help me get terminalservices working on my o2 xda exec, an ideots guide if possible. i have a belkin wireless router which is TKIP password protected with my windows xp pc. also have norton internet security 2005 running on pc.

thanks in advance

dave

Guest Lordsmiff
Please can anyone help me get terminalservices working on my o2 xda exec, an ideots guide if possible. i have a belkin wireless router which is TKIP password protected with my windows xp pc. also have norton internet security 2005 running on pc.

thanks in advance

dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What version of Windows XP are you running? Only ask as the XP Home Edition does not allow remote desktop connections...

Guest davidjtaylor
What version of Windows XP are you running? Only ask as the XP Home Edition does not allow remote desktop connections...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i am runnung windoze xp home edition, so i guess thats that then?

thanks

dave

Guest Lordsmiff
I have tightvnc on my machines, which works well. I can't get terminal services on my m5000 to connect tho, any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry if this is a daft question but are you trying to use the Terminal Services client on the phone to connect to your machine? If so, it won't work and you'll need to get hold of a PPC version of VNC client.

• 1 month later...
Guest deadphill

Hi guys

I have been looking to try and set up my exec so I can connect to my pc. From what I have seen you can do it, as I read the review on coolsmartphone.com

pc_capture12.jpg

pc_capture13.jpg

From that it would appear it can be done. Now the next question is for someone like me that has never had any success with vpn, (not that ive tried that much either!) is how to set it up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Phill

If you want to connect to your desktop remotely via Terminal Services and are using XP you must have Professional edition, since as mentioned above Home edition does not have the functionality.

This is how to set it up on your XP Pro desktop:-

1. Go to Start Menu, right-click My Computer and select Properties, select the Remote tab, make sure the Remote DESKTOP check-box is ticked.

2. I believe any XP profiles with Admin rights will be able to be logged in remotely, SO LONG AS YOU HAVE ASSIGNED AN ACCOUNT PASSWORD!

3. Next you need to find your internet IP address. Go to www.whatismyip.com to find this easily. If you've got a dynamic (non-static) IP address you can use a service such as DynDNS to track it (www.dyndns.com) which is free.

4. One other thing you will need to do if you connect to the internet through a router is set the Terminal Services port (3389) to forward to your desktop's local IP address (eg. 192.168.0.x).

5. Now all you need to do is fire up the Terminal Services Client on your Universal and enter your internet IP address!

Note that if you want to try this out locally (say by connecting to your desktop from your Universal using your wireless network) you need to enter the desktop's local IP address, rather than the internet IP.

Enjoy! ;)

Edited by PhiL P

One other tip is that XP SP2 doesn't allow concurrent users to be actively logged in (so if your girlfriend/wife is using her login and you attempt to connect remotely it will boot her to the Welcome screen!), but you can solve this by following the instructions at:-

http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote...nts_per_page=50

Edited by PhiL P

Guest deadphill

Thank you so much for this. I think where I was going wrong was I didnt realise I had to forward a port. Now thats all done its been pretty easy.

Thanks for that!

Phill

Guest generationgav

I want to use terminal services internally (well within my network) via wifi but whenever I try to connect to my machine name (or internal IP) it just attempts to connect to 3G, how do I get around this?

I want to use terminal services internally (well within my network) via wifi but whenever I try to connect to my machine name (or internal IP) it just attempts to connect to 3G, how do I get around this?

You need to ensure wi-fi is both enabled on your Universal AND it has established a connection to your wireless network BEFORE attempting to connect to your desktop.

If this is already the case then apologies but I'm stumped too!

Guest generationgav
You need to ensure wi-fi is both enabled on your Universal AND it has established a connection to your wireless network BEFORE attempting to connect to your desktop.

If this is already the case then apologies but I'm stumped too!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, it is.

Using Resco I can browse my PC file shares and play files over the network, if I try to connect via the in-built file explorer then the device will attempt to connect via 3g.