Mio a701

Guest peterweg

Guest peterweg

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/30/mio_gps_a701/

Mio GPS smart phone to ship mid-December

By Tony Smith

Published Wednesday 30th November 2005 10:46 GMT

Mio has formally unveiled its Windows Mobile 5.0-based smart phone with integrated GPS, the A701.

The handset was exclusively revealed (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/25/mio_a701_exposed/) by The Register in August, and the company yesterday unwrapped the device in Beijing.

The A701 is a PDA-style phone sporting a 2.7in, 240 x 320, 272,000-colour display. There's a 1.3mp camera on the back and a 520MHz Intel PXA270 processor inside. The CPU is backed by 64MB of SDRAM and 128MB of ROM.

As a phone, the A701 is a tri-band GSM/GPRS device. It also offers Bluetooth 1.2 wireless connectivity. The integrated GPS receiver is powered by a SiRF Star III chip and centres on an antenna fitted into a bulge on the top-left of the device. Mio has bundled its own MioMap route-planning software, along with maps from Navteq.

Mio recently upgraded MioMap to version 2.0, and is offering the update, along with revised maps, free of charge to European Mio 268 Plus and Mio 269 Plus owners. The only cost to the user is the return of the original CDs to Mio and a shipping fee for the new disc.

The A701 is scheduled to ship mid-December. European pricing has yet to be detailed. ®

a701_2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Guest richardlai

I've heard that it should cost around GBP400, which is about US$688. Expect to see them in shops around mid-February.

Edited by richardlai

• 1 month later...
Guest Mamadou
I've heard that it should cost around GBP400, which is about US$688. Expect to see them in shops around mid-February.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any news on the release date of this device?

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mamadou
yup, mine is sat in a delivery depot 12 miles away !!!!

should have gone for Saturday delivery LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you please share your impressions,feelings and first uses once you get it please?

A mini-review would be great ;)

Cheers,

Guest ecotrojan

Hi, sorry for the wait, I really wanted to test this.

My A701 arrived last Monday. Ive had 5 days with it and here are some preliminary findings.

Its the same size as my iMate Jam which is great ( I thought it would be bigger)

The device takes ages and ages to boot up. +40 seconds using the old 1 elephant, 2 elephant, 45 elephants routine but dont let this put you off, its quick when booted fully. Im assuming its loading drivers etc for the gps ? who knows.

The screen is just like my Jam, i cant see any difference to be honest (although im not looking)

I havent got the Maps yet (i dont think anyone has as they arent released, mine are on back order although i pre-ordered.)

I have push/pull mail using 4smartphone.net with OWA etc. Works as it says on the tin.

Skype works using a wifi card.

I havent tried the GPS.

Until the Maps come I cant really claim that I have used the device to its fullest potential.

First impressions (passed the WoW factor) are its good, it would have been excellent if WiFi were built in.

When the maps have arrived and ive tested it further the i will provide a more fuller indepth review.

Any questions feel free.

Matt

Guest janstrijk

Ecotrojan,

What is your impression on the quality of the GSM/Telephone functionality? On Dutch web sites there are some complaints about low volume, high noise levels and poor reception.

John

Edited by janstrijk

Guest ecotrojan
Ecotrojan,

What is your impression on the quality of the GSM/Telephone functionality? On Dutch web sites there are some complaints about low volume, high noise levels and poor reception.

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi John,

No issues, crystal clear. I can change the volume of the speaker (not speakerphone) or I can change the ringtone volume. I have no issues what so ever.

thx

Matt

Guest Malkatraz

I got mine yesterday (was delivered on friday). I can confirm that it takes a long time to boot. It takes me 10 seconds for the screen to come on after holding down the call end button, then an extra 40 seconds to actually boot into windows. I'm not too concerned as I won't be turning it off too much. I don't have mapping software either. One question I really need answered is whether the A701 can take memory cards greater than 2GB. Do you have a 4GB SD card Matt?

Edited by Malkatraz

Guest Malkatraz
Ecotrojan,

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The phone reception isn't too bad. The volume for the phone is pretty good as well. The volume of the speaker (on the back of the phone) isn't that great though...

Guest bando

I can add that mine has great reception here in the States (California). Nice handset with a solid feel and not too big at all to hold up to your ear..!

Guest Malkatraz
I should have a unit v soon, and I will test my 4GB SD in it straight away ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be brilliant! I'm looking at purchasing a Transcend 4GB card BTW...