Active Sync over BlueSoleil Blutooth

Guest narxis

So I bought myself the wonderful new 02 XDA Mini S, and ok it a lil slow to react, but the WiFi works, and the keyboards great :) However I really need to be able to ActiveSync over Blutooth, allowing me to remotely control my PC including control Windows Media Player.

So I bought a cheap and cheeful USB 2 hub with built in Bluetooth, it seems really great except that the included Bluetooth Soleil software doesnt directly offer the ActiveSync profile, they claim it should work fine over a standard shared Port. So I set up Activesync to look at the SSP port. Now this is where I think my problem starts, I cannot get the XDA to bring up the serial conection. Activesync in 2005 is far to clever to let me tell it to open a specific COM Port, it wants to look for a Blutooth device with the Activesync profile, and without it, it wont play. If I raise the connection from the blue soleil software, activesync starts to connect on the PC, but after 20secs gives up and tells me that the Mobile device was not recognised.

I have read that activesync will only work if the device initiates the serial connection, can anyone confirm if this is true ? Has anyone managed to get activesync to work with the Blue Soleil softare ?

Cheers :D

• 4 weeks later...

Thanx to a Hazymat over on xda-dev I managed to get it all working, his guide, for anyone else finding this:-

1) On your computer, go into bluetooth settings. Check bluetooth is ON and set to discoverable. Add an incoming COM port, eg. COM5.

2) On ActiveSync on your computer, go into connection settings. Tick all the boxes. If the COM port is greyed out, untick it, close the settings box, go back in, now tick it and set the COM port to eg. COM5.

3) On the K Jam go into bluetooth settings, and remove the connection to your computer.

4) On your K Jam go into ActiveSync, click 'menu' > 'connect via bluetooth' then you should see a message saying 'cannot find an existing bluetooth partnership with a PC that supports ActiveSync. Would you like to set up a partnership now?'

5) Click YES - you are taken to the Bluetooth settings screen.

6) Now click 'new partnership. As soon as you do this, the K Jam will search, and as long as your computer has bluetooth discoverable turned on, your computer will eventually be displayed. Check the computer name showing on the K Jam is the same as the name you gave the bluetooth profile on your computer.

7) On K Jam, click your computer name then NEXT.

Now enter a passcode - any four digit number (remember it) then next

9) When you do this, your computer will pop up with a message saying "a bluetooth device is requesting authorisation". Open this message and type in the code that you gave the K Jam. The next screen on the computer will tell you that it was successful - click FINISH.

10) Back on the K Jam, the screen will now be showing the services available. AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOWED STEP 1 and 2, ActiveSync will be an option, and you need to tick this and press FINISH on the K Jam.

11) Close bluetooth settings, now in ActiveSync screen click MENU > Connect via bluetooth. Your ActiveSync program on the computer should eventually pop up and connect.

i also have bluesoliel bluetooth device. if i am thinking we have the same device, then bluesoliel SUCKS. it is the worst possible software and driver design I have ever seen!

its terrible, drivers are a pain to get installed most of the times, it makes its own mind up if it wishes to connect/disconnect your mobile device.....urgh

i also have bluesoliel bluetooth device. if i am thinking we have the same device, then bluesoliel SUCKS. it is the worst possible software and driver design I have ever seen!

its terrible, drivers are a pain to get installed most of the times, it makes its own mind up if it wishes to connect/disconnect your mobile device.....urgh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bought the MSI Starhub, because I needed a USB2 Hub, and bluetooth, and the reviews I read said the software was full-featured etc. It does seem to offer a lot of profiles etc, but I could only get the Wizard to recognise the SPP slave, up until I followed the instructions, now it just recognises Activesync ;)

Guest puckster
So I bought myself the wonderful new 02 XDA Mini S, and ok it a lil slow to react, but the WiFi works, and the keyboards great ;) However I really need to be able to ActiveSync over Blutooth, allowing me to remotely control my PC including control Windows Media Player.

So I bought a cheap and cheeful USB 2 hub with built in Bluetooth, it seems really great except that the included Bluetooth Soleil software doesnt directly offer the ActiveSync profile, they claim it should work fine over a standard shared Port. So I set up Activesync to look at the SSP port. Now this is where I think my problem starts, I cannot get the XDA to bring up the serial conection. Activesync in 2005 is far to clever to let me tell it to open a specific COM Port, it wants to look for a Blutooth device with the Activesync profile, and without it, it wont play. If I raise the connection from the blue soleil software, activesync starts to connect on the PC, but after 20secs gives up and tells me that the Mobile device was not recognised.

I have read that activesync will only work if the device initiates the serial connection, can anyone confirm if this is true ? Has anyone managed to get activesync to work with the Blue Soleil softare ?

Cheers :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, i have had ActiveSync working with Blue Soleil (BS) although i did a hard reset yesterday and havent reset it up so cant give you the exact config.

Basically, i needed to fiddle around with the COM port assignments in Windows device manager as when i created a new port in bluetooth config i couldnt get activesync to use that port as there was only 3 or so in the list.

When i reset it up later, i'll put together a quick step by step which i'm sure a few other users will find useful.

NOTE: I have successfully used a blue soleil device with the default Windows XP (SP2) drivers. It worked the same as with the BS software however it was a lot easier to setup.

Chris

Guest malc901
Thanx to a Hazymat over on xda-dev I managed to get it all working, his guide, for anyone else finding this:-

1) On your computer, go into bluetooth settings. Check bluetooth is ON and set to discoverable. Add an incoming COM port, eg. COM5.

2) On ActiveSync on your computer, go into connection settings. Tick all the boxes. If the COM port is greyed out, untick it, close the settings box, go back in, now tick it and set the COM port to eg. COM5.

3) On the K Jam go into bluetooth settings, and remove the connection to your computer.

4) On your K Jam go into ActiveSync, click 'menu' > 'connect via bluetooth' then you should see a message saying 'cannot find an existing bluetooth partnership with a PC that supports ActiveSync. Would you like to set up a partnership now?'

5) Click YES - you are taken to the Bluetooth settings screen.

6) Now click 'new partnership. As soon as you do this, the K Jam will search, and as long as your computer has bluetooth discoverable turned on, your computer will eventually be displayed. Check the computer name showing on the K Jam is the same as the name you gave the bluetooth profile on your computer.

7) On K Jam, click your computer name then NEXT.

Now enter a passcode - any four digit number (remember it) then next

9) When you do this, your computer will pop up with a message saying "a bluetooth device is requesting authorisation". Open this message and type in the code that you gave the K Jam. The next screen on the computer will tell you that it was successful - click FINISH.

10) Back on the K Jam, the screen will now be showing the services available. AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOWED STEP 1 and 2, ActiveSync will be an option, and you need to tick this and press FINISH on the K Jam.

11) Close bluetooth settings, now in ActiveSync screen click MENU > Connect via bluetooth. Your ActiveSync program on the computer should eventually pop up and connect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is mt first post on this board so appologies if I do something wrong. I got an MDA Vario just before Christmas, great PDA/phone, and a bluetooth USB dongle, but I cannot get activesync (4.1) to work over bluetooth. It works fine over the USB connection but not bluetooth. I followed Narxis's instructions and everything was fine until step 10 when the only service available is a serial port. I selected this but activesync does not recognise it. Any suggestions anyone.

Guest narxis

Do you get any indication that the MDA is connecting to the Blutooth Serial Port ? On mine when the phone searches for available services, it briefly connects to the serial port (I get a little notification from the systray telling me a remote device is connecting to serial port 7) and thats when Activesync gets triggered and the phone can then see activesync via the serial port

Guest malc901
Do you get any indication that the MDA is connecting to the Blutooth Serial Port ? On mine when the phone searches for available services, it briefly connects to the serial port (I get a little notification from the systray telling me a remote device is connecting to serial port 7) and thats when Activesync gets triggered and the phone can then see activesync via the serial port

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes the 2 devices recognise each other, I also get a notification that a remote device is connecting, but I do not see activesync as one of the services, only a serial port. Activesync works fine over the USB cable and my bluetooth car kit works fine with the MDA. I'm wondering if it's the bluetooth dongle that's not compatible. I bought it from mobymemory when I bought a 1Gb mini SD card for the MDA. It comes with WIDCOMM Drivers v4.700, which I have tried, but says that you do not need these with XP SP2. The devices installed by XP are a Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and a Blutonium BCM2035 Bluetooth 2.4GHz single chip transceiver. What bluetooth dongle are you using?

Guest narxis
Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes the 2 devices recognise each other, I also get a notification that a remote device is connecting, but I do not see activesync as one of the services, only a serial port. Activesync works fine over the USB cable and my bluetooth car kit works fine with the MDA. I'm wondering if it's the bluetooth dongle that's not compatible. I bought it from mobymemory when I bought a 1Gb mini SD card for the MDA. It comes with WIDCOMM Drivers v4.700, which I have tried, but says that you do not need these with XP SP2. The devices installed by XP are a Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and a Blutonium BCM2035 Bluetooth 2.4GHz single chip transceiver. What bluetooth dongle are you using?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im using an MSI Bluetooth dongle, which is running the Included BlueSoleil BT Stack, as unfortunately MS dosent recognise it. I had thought that Activesync with the MS Stack was supposed to be pretty straight-forward, are you deleting the partnership, and adding it via the dialog that comes up when you select 'Connect via Bluetooth..' in activesync on the Wizard ? On mine that was when It found the 'Active sync' service when previously it had only found serial port.

Also does activesync flick green when the Wizard is searching for services ?

Guest malc901
Im using an MSI Bluetooth dongle, which is running the Included BlueSoleil BT Stack, as unfortunately MS dosent recognise it. I had thought that Activesync with the MS Stack was supposed to be pretty straight-forward, are you deleting the partnership, and adding it via the dialog that comes up when you select 'Connect via Bluetooth..' in activesync on the Wizard ? On mine that was when It found the 'Active sync' service when previously it had only found serial port.

Also does activesync flick green when the Wizard is searching for services ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the information. I've just spent another 2 hours trying to get this to work. I went back to the widcomm drivers supplied with the device. I can transfer files between the 2 devices now over bluetooth, but still no activesync. I'm just about ready to give up and use the USB cable which works fine. I've found a 12 page pdf file on using activesync and bluetooth on another MoDaCo forum. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Guest patrickjamesg

Ahhhhh yessss! You are the mother f-ing man! This was bugging the crap out of me until 2 seconds ago when I followed your instructions. Good looking out, man. Thanks! =D>

Edited by patrickjamesg

Guest breezy69

I must be thick because I just cannot get this to work at all. I can pair the Wizard with the Bluesoleil software but thats about as far I as get. I cannot see activesync as a service and I'm sure its something to do with Com ports.

Please help me Its driving me nuts!!

Breezy

in activesync in the connection settings, make sure that the "allow connections to one of the following" is ticked and is set to "COM6" from the drop down box

Guest breezy69
in activesync in the connection settings, make sure that the "allow connections to one of the following" is ticked and is set to "COM6" from the drop down box

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only have Com 1 or 3 available.

Breezy

Only have Com 1 or 3 available.

Breezy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could be a problem with the way the BlueSoleil software is set up. Have you enabled the Serial Port sharing via bluetooth ? And checked which port BlueSoleil has assigned to incoming Serial Port Requests ? Im afraid im on my works machine at the mo, so cant talk you through which screens to check in BlueSoleil

Guest bluesxman
NOTE: I have successfully used a blue soleil device with the default Windows XP (SP2) drivers. It worked the same as with the BS software however it was a lot easier to setup.

Did you have to do anything fancy to get this to work? I could quite happily live without the bluesoleil software ;)

Guest malc901

I see someone else is having problems with this. I gave up on it a week ago and just use the USB, which works fine. I also got the Wizard (mines an MDA Vario) to talk to the PC via bluetooth, but never saw Activesync as a service. Good luck, hope you solve it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DrMancini
I see someone else is having problems with this. I gave up on it a week ago and just use the USB, which works fine. I also got the Wizard (mines an MDA Vario) to talk to the PC via bluetooth, but never saw Activesync as a service. Good luck, hope you solve it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had the same problem with my XDA Atom. It worked to me when I made the partnership between PDA and laptop from laptop instead of PDA. You have to continue running ActiveSync from PDA, but if the partnership is already made from laptop you will see ActiveSync service instead of serial port service.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest a_rouse
I had the same problem with my XDA Atom. It worked to me when I made the partnership between PDA and laptop from laptop instead of PDA. You have to continue running ActiveSync from PDA, but if the partnership is already made from laptop you will see ActiveSync service instead of serial port service.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok how about this then? I manage to set up the connection (or so it would seem) and I click on connect via Bluetooth, and the phone pops up a message: Conecting to host etc. and appears to be connected (I even get the little connection status on my desktop) however active sync on the PC shows that it is still trying to connect. It stays on this and doesn't seem to make any progress?

Oh and I'm also one of the unfortunate people that when I use activesync over the usb cable, it completely crashes my computer.

Arrrgh. The main reason why I got a new phone was to be able to sync over bluetooth in an attempt to try and organise myself.

Edited by a_rouse

• 1 month later...
Guest novakry

awesome guide narxis, i was having the same problem with only finding serial port instead of activesync, but as you said just match the ports up and presto!.

thanks again mate...

• 4 months later...
Guest aaron.brett

I think I have found the way to do this. (I have an XDA Mini S and BlueSoleil software). I followed the instructions on the previous post(s) and wasn't having any joy (only the serial port showing), however, when I clicked set up new connection I noticed that the serial port it was connected to was COM 7 on the message BueSoleil popped up (and not COM 6 which I told Activesync on the PC it would be)

I then started from the beginning again and put COM 7 into Activesync on the PC. When I connected again, Activesync was one of the options (not Serial Port).

So when you set up the connection, note the serial port number on the PC that the new connection has been given!

It's now so easy to activesync, just click activesync, menu then connect via bluetooth - works like a dream!!!

Hope it works for you, I know how frustrating it can become!

GOOD LUCK!!

Aaron

• 6 months later...
Guest DuncanS

I also had a nightmare trying to get this to work & eventually managed so thought I'd share it in case anyone else is having problems. The important thing is getting your ports matched up as aaron says. But I found the best way to find which port Bluesoleil uses for serial is to go to My Services>Properties then look at serial port A. On mine it was set to 18. Make sure 'Auto start this service' is ticked. Then open activesync on the pc and make sure you select the same port under 'connection settings' & 'allow connections to one of the following'.

You'll now need to go to activesync on the pda (in my case an MDA Vario) and select 'Connect via bluetooth'. When you now set up a new connection with the pc it should then give you the activesync option. You may then need to select the 'connect via bluetooth' again to start the sync...

Good luck

Duncan

p.s. click below to see my photography!

London photographer