Pondrew Reviews... the T-Mobile MDA Compact II

Guest Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

They'd better be! After all, these pics on the MDA Compact II are using 'just' a 1.3mega pixel camera where the HTC Prophet is packing a newer 2meg camera...

Can I add a few thoughts.

I had a Himalaya upgraded from 2003SE to WM5 (use TomTom etc) and noticed no speed difference - so I don't beleive wm5 is any slower per-se

The Playlists fuction seems v.poor in WMP 10 - no save, etc. But I have read this is common to all - not just this device.

Some sites state that the cradles for Jam / MDA Compact won't fit this - that is NOT the case - I got a v.nice audio cradle for the MDA Compact from mobile fun and it works very nicely - much more oem than the rubbish off ebay.

I personally have found mine a little flakey - but acceptably so - I do run A LOT of software - you notice the screen size more if you go back to a bigger screen - although it is difficult to use your thumb on this screen.

All in all I'm very happy (now I've removed skype --- see my 'not happy' post) because it does everything I expect from a Pocket PC In a pocketable form.. It is a shame it didn't get a 'proper' processor then I feel it would probably have been perfect

Again if it helps I have got the following to work (Puts my 'performance problems' into perspective :roll: ):

SOTI Pocket Controller

TCPMP

SGB Full Screen Keyboard

Merlin Tracert

Applian Quicklaunch (no widescreen support)

Applian Virtual Wallet (no widescreen support)

Marsware Weatherpanel

Transcreative Magic Button (--- very handy---)

[schwartz-interactive de]Shutdown

SPB GPRS Monitor

toe's WM2k5 ScreenRotate fix (to put an icon on today that rotates screen)

Zenduri PocketZenPhone

TomTom

RealnetworksRealone player

Sunnysoft Backup Manager

SPB Finance (syncing with Money on PC)

V-Mobile Software Network Browser (????)

Total Commander

Smartvideo (Loads and get sound put no pictures)

Misurdasoft playlisteditor (looking at to see if fixes wmp10 playslist but seems to corrupt playlists???)

PHN Pocet PC Power Toys (for < wm5 - but some of it works)

Edited by kaf

• 1 month later...

In response to the games request my favorite games fo Compact II are:

1.Tomb Raider (amazing..runs so well!)

2.Age of Empires gold (equally brilliant and identical to real game)

3.Quake (runs a little slowly)

Of course i purchased these games but an unscrupulous person might find them available through other means ahem.

There are freeware games about, in particular there is a Gameboy emulator called Pocket GB that is free/shareware (small 'unregistered' on game screen) This will run Game Boy, Game Boy colour and Gameboy Advance games wich gives you a huge range of cool games. (tony hawks is unplayably slow so GBA games might not work so well without Overclocking processor.

There a few ideas

fUNKUS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gekkon
The Compact II delivers what many Magician owners have most been craving, the latest version of the Windows Mobile operating system version 5.0. Added to which was an upgrade to Quad Band and the inclusion of EDGE. While the extra band can prove most useful to the modern world traveller, given the rollout of EDGE in the UK is far from certain the inclusion of this in the device could be seen as incidental.

I did some searches and it seems that HTC Chatmer lacks of EDGE support. At least no any mentions of EDGE support in Charmer were found on german T-mobile site. Is there any reliable way to determine whether EDGE supported?

Guest Pondrew

The HTC Charmer does supports EDGE, it's in the spec sheets, manual, processor spec, and is common to all HTC devices (Pocket PC Phones and Smartphones) that use the TI OMAP 850 Processor.

Guest gekkon

Dear Pondrew,

my cell operator stated that he support EDGE and it does not require to set on the device. Also he states that if option "CELL INFO" is activated - it should show message that GPRS/EDGE is available. After turning the device on I get two SMS: one with information of the district where I am currently and second one with "GPRS". But no any infor on EDGE. The abcense of any mentions on EDGE support on T-mobile site and GPRS only message made me to think that EDGE is not supported by Charmer.

,could you please give me a link for official spec sheets and is it possible to see that information on device itself?

Thanks in advance.

HTC Charmer HAS EDGE !!!

I use EDGE with my Charmer, in Slovakian Orange. I have E sign instead of G if there is a EDGE area in the network.

I easy changed registry:

Different GPRS/EDGE Icon?

HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL\

EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon from 0 to 1.

Just try... 8)

Guest Pondrew

Thanks Zoky. Given T-Mobile in the UK doesn't support EDGE I wasn't able to say I'd used it myself...

Not sure what more I can tell you Gekkon (did you try looking in your manual because it says it has EDGE in mine, clear as day!). To me it sounds like either your operator doesn't support EDGE at all, or that the particular area in which you're connecting hasn't been EDGE enabled (currently in the UK Orange have an EDGE network BUT that network is patchy with only certain areas actually having the coverage).

Guest gekkon
Thanks Zoky. Given T-Mobile in the UK doesn't support EDGE I wasn't able to say I'd used it myself...

Not sure what more I can tell you Gekkon (did you try looking in your manual because it says it has EDGE in mine, clear as day!). To me it sounds like either your operator doesn't support EDGE at all, or that the particular area in which you're connecting hasn't been EDGE enabled (currently in the UK Orange have an EDGE network BUT that network is patchy with only certain areas actually having the coverage).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you very much!

The point was that I had no manual with my Charmer. Now I have and I found that spec on EDGE.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guydjemal

Hi all,

I was wondering if the TMobile MDA Compact II comes with .Net Compact Framework v2.0 preinstalled. In fact it would be nice to know what TMobile has and has not included.

I'm rather interested in using SudoPocket 1.4 (available at below link) but it says I have wrong version of .NET installed when I try running it.

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=20781

Guy.

Guest Pondrew

Judging from your experience it doesn't. Still, it's readily obtainable and I don't specifically know if any WM5 devices come with .net compact framework 2.

Will do some research and let you know what I find out...

• 5 months later...

hehe. I know it's been several months since I said I would look into whether .net compact framework 2 is preinstalled but I only just now remembered to look!

It seems to be one of the touted improvements expected in AKU3 release of Windows Mobile 5 to have .net compact framework 2 included rather then having to be installed as an add-on. I'd assume from this that no pre-AKU3 WM5 Pocket PC Phone or Smartphone comes with it...

If anyone knows differently please do post.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.