i300 help

Guest jaggybunnet

Guest jaggybunnet

After the Windows Mobile splash screen i get an alert screen saying "Your phone is running low on free storage space. Delete old or unused items to create more space."

The left soft key says "unlock", it highlights but does nothing after pressing it. pressing # after unlock does nowt either. No other keys respond excpect the power one. Some others make the key tone noise.

Guest jaggybunnet

Eventually found out how to perform hard reset.

Turn off phone.

Hold Power button and 0 until password screen appears.

Type password (1234 in my case).

Screen said it was formatting phone, after about 5mins phone rebooted twice and is now working. Contents of HDD intact. Phone memory wiped...everything back to factory settings

Guest Pondrew

Hmm. So a hard reset restores Windows Mobile to out of the box setup (ie no programs installed) but with the program files left on the hard drive? Doesn't sound ideal to me...

Guest fluffcat1
Hmm. So a hard reset restores Windows Mobile to out of the box setup (ie no programs installed) but with the program files left on the hard drive? Doesn't sound ideal to me...

Possibly. Haven't tried installing apps to the HDD yet. But at least it will leave your mp3 collection intact on the unit. No drivers needed in phone HDD mode with XP, so it'll be a usefull device for 'borrowing' your friend's mp3 collection ;)

Richard

Guest Pondrew
After the Windows Mobile splash screen i get an alert screen saying "Your phone is running low on free storage space. Delete old or unused items to create more space."

The left soft key says "unlock", it highlights but does nothing after pressing it. pressing # after unlock does nowt either. No other keys respond excpect the power one. Some others make the key tone noise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woah! Just re-read your original post and it's EXACTLY a problem I used to get all the time on the Voq Professional Phone I had running WM2003SE. The only solution each time was a hard reset which given I had to keep reentering settings was infuriating! At the time thought it must be a Voq pecularity but now I wonder...

What software had you installed when the problem occured? Has it ever happened again?

Guest Potatohead
Woah! Just re-read your original post and it's EXACTLY a problem I used to get all the time on the Voq Professional Phone I had running WM2003SE. The only solution each time was a hard reset which given I had to keep reentering settings was infuriating! At the time thought it must be a Voq pecularity but now I wonder...

What software had you installed when the problem occured? Has it ever happened again?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi guys,

Thought i'd add my two penneth worth. Mine did exactly the same thing after i moved TomTom from HDD to Storage card. (use of bluetooth & HDD together eats battery fast!!)

It ran ok from 1st use via the primary *.exe file but confused itself a little when reallocating the shortcuts. Turned phone off when i reached location and when i turned on again had the same message with a locked up phone.

Maybe this has a bearing or maybe just coincidence waddaya think?

.....didnt know how to hard reset at the time.....had to find way home without TomTom or AtoZ.....was a long day..... :cry:

Guest Potatohead

Bit of a shame what with it being the first A2DP enabled Smartphone and all ;)

Indeed. You'd have thought that samsung would have focused a bit more effort on optimizing battery life based on their past history and the fact that the phones key selling points are HDD & A2DP, rather than just the quick fix of a big fat extended battery. Seems to be a familiar problem for samsung, right back to the A300 and its half day slim battery.

Makes you think if a few corners were cut with the i300, to win the race against nokia to be the first to bring HDD fones to the UK, and now they hope to try and fix this with quickly revised handsets. As far as the press goes Samsung can do no wrong so far??!! :?:

Will be writing to samsung based on the collective opinion on the sneaky i300x release to find out what their plans for upgrades are. Will post separately if i have any joy. - (not expecting any)

• 1 month later...
Guest smilboy

I also have had this exact same problem after changing to the long life battery last night. Luckily I read this thread and found how to reset the phone or else I would be in trouble without a phone / contacts etc!

I just worry now if the problem is going to re-occur, I've only had the phone for a few weeks and it's already happened :)

I phoned up O2 to let them know I have had a problem and if it keeps happening I will not be happy - I do wonder if they will actually take any note though!

Hopefully there will be some software updates for this phone as it really needs some tweaking by the looks of things. I do worry that we'll never see anything though!!!!

Anyhow, if anybody hears anything please let me know!

Guest The_Blue_Half

I had the same problem with my first handset. I admit I didnt fully read the manual on the cd, so rang Samsung for advice. They were clueless (the operator actually said at one point OK, IM GOING TO NEED YOU TO PRESS UNLOCK, THEN THE HASH KEY).

Eventually they said I had to take it to a Carphone Warehouse quite a way from were I live, as they were the local Samsung repair centre

I took it in the next day and was told bluntly they couldnt do anything with it and to return it to were I bought it.

I sent it back to mobileshop.com (Who I must add are fantastic) who sent a replacement handset the next day.

Once again I ripped and added about 55 cds to the handset which promptly did the exact same thing.

I finally discovered hard reset (which wiped every single one of my 100+ contacts) and once back running I deleted some albums from the HDD. It seems to be working ok so far since I lightened the load on it. I have had problems with speakerphone and playing sound files, but thats a different story..! I can only suggest not overburdening the HDD. I'm assuming this is the cause of everyone elses handset locking up?

Guest Pondrew

Well, the fault is identical to a fault experienced on the Voq Professional Phone (which also runs Windows Mobile 2003 SE) and that doesn't have a hard drive so I'd be inclined to think that while it could be related to the remaining space on the device that it isn't specifically a harddrive fault...

Guest The_Blue_Half
Well, the fault is identical to a fault experienced on the Voq Professional Phone (which also runs Windows Mobile 2003 SE) and that doesn't have a hard drive so I'd be inclined to think that while it could be related to the remaining space on the device that it isn't specifically a harddrive fault...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Forgive me for being a newbie to this! I've never dealt with Windows Mobile before, I've been Nokia all my life so cant really comment, all I know is that it has happened twice on two different handsets, and both times after totally filling the HDD.

Whilst this error was on screen it would also intermittently come up with an error saying sms space was full. I presume this was because it was attempting to receive a text. Also if I held down the voice command button I found it said RELEASING RESOURCES but then nothing else happened.

Guest ca1ade

I have had the exact same problems with the 'alert your phone is running low on free storage space. Delete old or unused items to create more space.' and 'INFO SMS storage is full'. I have had these errors on on three different i300's.

I have called Samsung and O2 and both have been useless, they don't even know about the problem. Or atleast that is what they are saying. In the end I sent it all back and have given up on this phone.

Samsung wanted me to send the phone back to them for repair but I didnt bother doing this. Call me cynical but all they would do is perform a hard reset and then say its working, send it back to me and then charge me for sending a device which is 'not faulty'. Well who knows maybe they would have done something but I aint sending my brand new phone for a repair!

So three Samsung I300's and same errors on all, how mint!

Shame really as I thought it was fantastic otherwise. It sounds like a OS problem to me, I cant see how filling the HD could cause this as I had 600Mb free everytime these errors came about. Even if it was the HD its stupid not being able to fill your 3GB HD with music. I also never installed any apps, so the only phone memory being used was for contacts, couple of sms, settings.

My advise to everyone is to steer clear of this phone unless Samsung release a fix. Unless you fancy leaving your phone switched on permanently, as the error only seems to appear intermittantly when you switch it off and then turn it back on again.

I mean imagine the thing crashing while your out and about to meet whoever and then you turn it back on, get the error, have to do a hard reset, and then you find out you have lost all your contacts.

I find it hard to believe that a company like Samsung could release something as major as this but not test it thoroughly enough to find this error. Or maybe they did and released it anyway so they could say they have the first HD smartphone on the market!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ZR4000

I have also had this error, it is a real pain having to personalise all your settings only to have it crash again.

Surely Samsung should release a fix for this?!? They can't just deny its existence, blaming it on a faulty handset.

Guest paulmezza

just like to say ive had my i300 for a month now and not had this problem once

ive got 2 gigs worth of mp3's and a nes emaultor with loads of roms

all run off hd

never have a problem yet

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Spike46

hi im new to this forum, anyway to the point. ive been looking everywhere on the net for help with my samsung i300 and found nothing so i was hoping that someone here could help me with a couple of things:

1. how do i get my internet to work on my phone? (im with o2)

2. when i connect the data cable to my phone and computer to send songs to my phone they go into

\HDD\My Items\My Sounds, when i click menu on a song and go to set as my ringtone, why can't i do it? and how can i make them my ringtone?

any help would me much appreciated ;)

Guest tedblight

2. when i connect the data cable to my phone and computer to send songs to my phone they go into

\HDD\My Items\My Sounds, when i click menu on a song and go to set as my ringtone, why can't i do it? and how can i make them my ringtone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

things:

Your phone should be 'pre-setup' for the internet, on o2, just go onto internet explorer on your phone and the GPRS should connect.

Put your ringtones/mp3 in to 'storage/applcations data/sounds'

• 3 weeks later...
hi im new to this forum, anyway to the point. ive been looking everywhere on the net for help with my samsung i300 and found nothing so i was hoping that someone here could help me with a couple of things:

any help would me much appreciated ;)

Hi there,

I had this problem before but a song wont go as a ring tone only if you put is under \Storage\My Document\ but agian you can't put all of the song just because it's to large of size to be in the phone memory.

I hope this help....

I have read all of the messages that have been put in this forum and i would like to share my problems with you, coz i have got big problems with my phone although nothing like yours although it's been wonderfull since christmase time up until now.

My problem is more than this wich is my HDD some times it apear others doesn't which i think is my HDD is gone crap(excuss my lungauge).

I have called samsung and asked if they have something like defragment or scandisk but they said that one their enginier will call me tomorrow so i am hopping to get something from them.

I have tried oneof the softs called Airscanner(Antivirus) but it stops right in the middle of it when it gets to the HDD.

I will post anything that i will get from samsung so every body will benefit from it.

cheers chaps, :P