Cingular 2125: Everything you need to know

Guest patrickjamesg

Guest patrickjamesg

Hey guys. I've had my Cingular 2125 for about 3 weeks now, and it took me a week of searching through this website to get all the info I needed. I figured I'd create this new thread with all the information I found packed into one complete page. Thanks to everyone on this site who posted all this info. Enjoy! ;)

First off, if you're a newbie like me, you'll need to know that the Cingular 2125 is also known as the Orange SPV C600, and they're both manufactured by HTC as the HTC Faraday. The HTC Tornado (iMate SP5) is a similar Windows Mobile 5.0 smartphone, and most of the tweaks/programs for it will work on the 2125 as well.

TIP: Key locking your phone :idea:

I'm sure you've had a hard time pressing the power button for the quick option to lock your keys. All you have to do is press and hold the End Call key "red phone button" and it'll lock the keys. Then just unlock like normal.

If you haven't bought a miniSD card, I suggest you do so. You can't install any games or applications on your phone because of space limitations, leave alone music and videos. I bought a Topram 1 Gig miniSD on eBay for $80. I'm sure most brands/sizes will work, but I know that Topram works and I haven't had any problems with it.

All programs listed are attached at the bottom of this post. When installing programs, I created a "Downloads" folder on my storage card to store the zip/CAB files. Use the "Explore" button on the Activesync window and double-click on the "My Windows Mobile-Based Device" icon. Then double-click on Storage Card, and the then right-click and create a new folder.

Also, when installing games and other programs from your pc (like TCPMP, ClearVue, etc), you'll be asked where to install the program. Scroll right on the box that says "Device" so that it says "\Storage Card".

OK, here we go:

1:Application unlocking your phone:

Your 2125 is application locked, meaning you can't install certain programs/games/tweaks. To unlock it, as well as for future tweaks, you'll need a Registry Editor to accomplish the task. Use Regedit STG (attached below) because it's the trusted version of regedit from HTC.

1. Using Activesync Explorer, copy Regedit STG.zip to Downloads (or the folder of your choice) on the storage card. Then, using File Mangaer on your phone, browse to that folder and Unpack/Extract the contents of Regedit STG.zip.

Create a new folder in the phone memory (not storage card) or just use "\My Documents" and move the Regedit.exe file to this folder. It does not seem to work when it's used straight from the miniSD card.

2. Start Regedit.exe and change the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies (then press "values")\ 00001001 = 2 -->Change the value data from 2 to 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001005 = 16 --> Change the value data from 16 to 40

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001017 = 128 --> Change the value data from 128 to 144

That's it! If you had problems installing games/programs/tweaks that required you to application unlock your phone, you should be good now.

2: Installing ClearVue on your memory card to save space:

This is a great office suite that comes on the 2125 CD for viewing PowerPoint presentations, Excel worksheets, Word documents, and PDF files. If you have the suite installed, uninstall it first. Reboot the phone and then reinstall it again, but choose to install it to the storage card.

After it's installed, use the file explorer in Activesync (on your pc) to browse to your storage card.

Step 1.

You will see a new /windows folder where ClearVue was installed.

Rename this folder to /ClearVue Suite (or whatever floats your boat for that matter).

If you haven't installed any other programs to your storage card then create the "program files" folder on your card first. Then MOVE this, the /ClearVue Suite folder into the /Program Files folder.

Step 2.

Next browse to /program files/ClearVue Suite (it's faster to do this with Activesync explorer on your pc)

Create shortcuts to the following files.

WTCVDocV.exe (doc viewer)

WTCVPDFV.exe (pdf viewer)

WTCVPresV.exe (ppt viewer)

WTCVWSV.exe (xls viewer)

Now copy or cut those shortcuts and put them in the following folder on the phone (not on the storage card)

/windows/Start Menu

(You can also create a folder in the start menu to hold all of these shortcuts if you like)

Step 3.

Now fire up Regedit.exe on your phone and go to the following key.

/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.pdf

Under "Value Data" change "docfile" to "pdffile"

Reboot the phone.

Step 4.

Copy a sample doc, xls, pdf, ppt to your phone.

Using the File Manager on the phone, browse to the location of your sample files.

Highlight one of the files, then press the Menu softkey.

Press File

Then Associate

Scroll down to the associated program (presentation viewer for powerpoint, worksheet viewer for excel, etc), highlight it, then press the Done softkey.

Repeat that for all of the file types, then you should be golden. If you don't see the ClearVue icons on these files afterwards, then reboot and you should be ok.

3. Internet Explorer Cache/Temporary files on the storage card:

You'll soon find that surfing the internet takes a lot of memory, so use Internet Explorer Card Cache to put Temporary Internet files on the memory card. Just copy the file to the storage card, and follow these steps:

- Run Pocket IE, and from the options menu, clear the Cache, History and Cookies.

- Use Task Manager to close down Pocket IE

- Open the Card Cache.CAB file to install it (specify to the storage card)

- Run Pocket IE

- All done, you should now have a Pocket IE directory on your storage card with 3 subdirectories.

4. Copying contacts from the sim card to the phone:

If all your contacts are on the sim card from your old phone, use M2 Sim Copy to copy all your contacts to your phone. Move the M2 Sim Copy.CAB file to the storage card and just open it to install it. The only problem is that you'll now have 2 copies of all contacts, but once you delete the extras you can add speed/voice dialing to your contacts. Also, when using the program it'll say "0 contacts copied" or something like that, but don't worry; it copied them anyway.

5. TCPMP Media Player (My favorite program) :cheesy:

If you're like me, you used Windows Media Player on your pc to sync your music videos to your phone but soon realized that you can't watch them in full screen and the image is small. This marvelous program (in conjunction with Pocket DivX Encoder) allows you to play your music videos and movies in full screen mode with great resolution. You can download Pocket DivX Encoder from http://divx.ppccool.com/

Install TCPMP on your phone and Pocket DivX on your PC. To install TCPMP, make sure your phone is connected to your pc and then double-click the installation file. Remember to switch the installation location from the Device to the Storage card when asked.

To transfer your music videos to your phone, encode them with Pocket DivX to shrink their size and then copy them to a folder on your Storage Card using ActiveSync Explorer (don't sync them with Windows Media Player).

When using Pocket DivX, use the Pocket PC setting rather than the smartphone setting because you'll get better resolution and the size will be about the same. Also, set the Video quality to the max (20) and Sound to the max (6) for the best videos. When using TCPMP you can view the videos in Full screen mode. It's amazing! I have 30 of the latest music videos and the ladies love my phone. Oh yeah! :D/

You can also encode your avi/mpg movies from your pc the same way (there's no size limit). I currently have The Transporter 2 on my phone and it's only 280MB (it was originally 700MB).

With TCPMP you can create playlists for your videos and songs, so I really don't even use Windows Media Player on my phone anymore. I just put everything on my storage card and I'm good to go with TCPMP.

6. Homescreen "Appointments" Tweak:

To change what's displayed as “No upcoming appointments” to something of your choice then use Regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, System, State, Appointments, HomeScreen and edit the ‘subject’ string. Change the value to whatever you want displayed (or leave it blank). The good thing about it is that as soon as an appointment is added or comes up then it returns to its default value to keep you informed.

7. Repeating Alarm:

The alarm is kinda lame on this phone because it doesn't repeat itself and just sounds/beeps once. You can either set the alarm to "increasing" under settings so that it sort of repeats (every 10 seconds or so), or install Repeating Alarm and it'll repeat every second until you turn it off.

8. ActiveSync Toggle

Use this program on your PC to remove the ActiveSync system tray icon when you're not using ActiveSync (because it stays there whether or not ActiveSync is on). On some slower computers, this will free up some much needed memory.

9. True Connect

This is a really cool program that lets you use your mouse and keyboard on your phone. You can type e-mails/text messages, open programs, etc. The 14 Day trial is attached below.

10. Street Duel - Underground Racing by Pixelogic

This is one of the coolest racing/driving games for smartphones, and it works great on the Cingular 2125. It's almost like Driver 3 for console games. The 2125 is such a good phone that the graphics don't even slow down on the full details setting! You can download the demo or buy it for $14.99 from Clickgamer.com

Make sure you select "smartphone" rather than "pocket pc".

Well, that's it. I hope you find this post useful. Let me know if you do. Thanks

-Patrick =D>

Regedit_STG.zip

Internet_Explorer_Card_Cache.CAB

M2_Sim_Copy.cab

TCPMP_for_Smartphone.exe

Repeating_Alarm.cab

ActiveSyncToggle.exe

True_Connect_1.0.exe

Edited by patrickjamesg

Your 2125 is application locked, meaning you can't install programs on it. T

-Patrick  =D>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have never unlocked my 2125 and i have been loading smartphone and java programs and tweak the registry with no problem.

dude... thanks for the post. good stuff ;)

Edited by lpasq

Guest patrickjamesg
I will just point out that the SP5 is HTC Tornado not Faraday.

Otherwise a fantastic resourse!!! Very well done!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks MitchellO. I changed the thread to reflect this info update.

-Patrick ;)

Edited by patrickjamesg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ckquinn

:) Am I missing something? I'm not able to get video to play after encoding with PDE. It says it's "The format is not supported" in WMP10. Can someone help?

Guest finsmaniac02
:) Am I missing something? I'm not able to get video to play after encoding with PDE. It says it's "The format is not supported" in WMP10. Can someone help?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PDE encodes into an avi file which media player does not play. The program that he reccomended to play media stuff (TCPMP) will play them just fine, its a nice player too

Guest ckquinn
PDE encodes into an avi file which media player does not play. The program that he reccomended to play media stuff (TCPMP) will play them just fine, its a nice player too

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks... another question though -- If I want to be able to use media player, what format do I need to put my videos in? What should I use to encode? I thought it accepted mp4, but I can't get those to play either.

Hi, your post was extremely helpful to me in understanding my 2125. I purchased my 2125 off ebay and it works great but the box was missing the getting started cd. Can you tell me where to find a copy of CLEARVUE for my phone other than the missing cd.?? Also is there anything else on the cd that I am missing out on by not having the getting started cd?

Thanks again for the great info...

mrhifi

Hi, your post was extremely helpful to me in understanding my 2125. I purchased my 2125 off ebay and it works great but the box was missing the getting started cd. Can you tell me where to find a copy of CLEARVUE for my phone other than the missing cd.?? Also is there anything else on the cd that I am missing out on by not having the getting started cd?

Thanks again for the great info...

mrhifi

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can get a copy of clearvue for 2125 here:

http://www.htcamerica.net/support/software_updates.htm

You are not missing much from the CD unless you don't have OL 2002 or better already. I hardly looked at my CD at all.

Guest finsmaniac02
Thanks... another question though -- If I want to be able to use media player, what format do I need to put my videos in? What should I use to encode? I thought it accepted mp4, but I can't get those to play either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it has to be a .wmv file for media player to play it. I used to use a program that did wmv, but it forced you to cut the frame rate down to like 15 fps, which was noticable to me. I dealt with it though... until I read this post and used this encoder, I definitely think its work the 10% increase in file size or so, to get the full 24 fps. When I get home I can tell you what my first program was named, though.

Guest zeedee11

Any of you guys try installing any homescreens to your 2125 yet? I'm having a hell of a time with the Homer (QVGA w411y-HomerSimpson) homescreen. The picture doesn't line up correctly with my screen, the clock doesn't work, and the startup/shutdown screens are still defaulted to the cingular stuff.

Makes me sad... these look so cool too. :cry:

Let me know if you guys are having any luck

Hi,

Can the phone be unlocked so that I can use it with ATT SIM without having to swithch to Cingular service?

Thanks,

AV

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. You'll have to port the mmode settings over still after unlocking the phone.

Guest Nubbing
I'm sure you've had a hard time pressing the power button for the quick option to lock your keys. All you have to do is press and hold the End Call key "red phone button" and it'll lock the keys. Then just unlock like normal.

:oops: Well, at least I know now.

Thanks, excellent write up. The most useful topic on this forum so far (yes even better than the emulator pages).

Now we just need a DVD to windows mobile 5 DVD guide. With links to decoders and stuff.

Can anyone else recommend good games for smartphone? I wish clearVU came with the QTEK 8300 :)

oh, and I use this 2GB miniSD card, the cheapest out there and I have had no problems with it

Edited by Nubbing

Guest tmohammad

Clearvue on C600.

Has anyone figured out how to install the clearview suite that comes on the 2125s CD onto an Orange SPV C600. I tried but failed as it says I'm not using the correct ROM. Is there a registry key that I can tweak to get over this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Guest joshuar9476

how is the volume on this phone? i use my phone in very loud conditions and need to hear rings loudly. i currently use the mpx220 and it's not bad, but kind of distorted. also, how does it sound through speakerphone and playing mp3's without headphones? thanks.

Guest Brcobrem

Hi Patrick,

I too thank you for this article.

You mentioned, "I'm sure you've had a hard time pressing the power button for the quick option to lock your keys."

I almost crushed this phone before I figured out the power button trick. Have the phone laying on the table in front of you for this explaination:

The power button does not press down (ie. towards the back of the phone) as that little circular button would have you believe. Instead, put your fingernail and at the top of the button, then gently pull the button towards the bottom of the phone (ie. towards the keypad). It will then give you a tacktile "click" that you would normally expect.

Imho, I believe a "Down Arrow" symbol (instead of the current "Press Down" button symbol) would be more appropriate for the current switch's mechanical design.

Regards,

Brcobrem

Edited by Brcobrem

Guys a quick question:

I have 2125 on order and getting it within a few days. When watching videos on TCPMP in fullscreen mode, can the image be seen as widescreen mode, so that you would be holding the phone sideways to watch the video?

Still learning how to use the phone but wondered if there is a way to work with Outlook on a PC to manage the contacts on the phone? Can you export /import the contacts between the phone and Outlook, then work with them in a separate folder from all the hundreds I have on my PC to make additions or deletions easier?

Noted the earlier post of how to copy contacts on SIM card to phone, is possible to do the same thing by exporting contacts to Outlook and importiing them back to the phone.

Thanks in advance.