M2000 Hard resets when battery removed

Guest pendragon_

Guest pendragon_

My M2000 frequently completes a hard reset when I swap the batteries over. Initially I thouught 'doh!, you let the backup battery run down you idiot'. so I now always check the state of the batteries prior to removing the main battery and low and behold the reset still happens.

I just reported this to Orange and was told:

"This is a fault with the SPV and there's nothing we can do!"

To which I replied

"Why do I have a spare battery then, is it just an easy way to initiate a hard reset?"

A short and slighlty heated discission ensued but I didn't get a replacement as the repalcement would have this issue. :x

Does anyone else have this problem?

Guest Disco Stu

There should be a little rubber retaining lug that clips, somewhat limply, over the edge of the battery.

You should be careful moving this away from the battery before you remove it. And vice versa.

Apparently......says so in the Jam manual anyway.... :)

Guest matt1971

Hi,

Its not completely true for Orange to say there is a problem with this phone.

When I need to swop batteries I follow this procedure and have never had a hard reset.

1. Close all programs.

2. Turn off your device.

3. Leave off for around 30 secs (30 should be enough)

4. Unclip battery, and within max 3 mins clip in the new one

5 Device should boot as though just had a soft reset.

....i say 3 mins because i was cleaning the whole unit underneath the battery etc and when my battery was all connected again my backup battery was down to 25% after only a few minutes.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Guest fluffcat1
My M2000 frequently completes a hard reset when I swap the batteries over. Initially I thouught 'doh!, you let the backup battery run down you idiot'. so I now always check the state of the batteries prior to removing the main battery and low and behold the reset still happens.

Is your unit still under warranty with HTC?

I have frequently had these after taking a blueangel apart, but only once with a phone in 'normal use'. There is a round rechargeable button cell under a metal cover which can easily be replaced if faulty. I have found in most cases a long soak-charge seems to sort it out.

I just reported this to Orange and was told:

"This is a fault with the SPV and there's nothing we can do!"

They'll tell you anything to get rid of you! Never heard of it as a major design fault before.

Richard

post-145647-1138369563_thumb.jpg

Guest pendragon_

After a weekend of reset and restores Orange finally conceeded that I have a problem and have replaced my handset. Lets see how this one goes. :)

• 6 months later...
Guest m2000user

Don't laugh...

but I dropped my m2000 in a lake.

After retrieval, the unit was opened up and left to air dry. then mildly heat dried.

when switched on, the screen lit up (you wouldn't believe my surprise and delight!!!) but you could see stains in the back ground. As days passed, this stain dissapeared, leaving behind a perfect screen.

As far as useage goes... the phone turns to begin as if from a hard reset. If I leave it as is (as in not completing the installation), the pda remains on. If tap the screen to initiate the installation, a warning comes up to say the internal battery has no charge. After about 30 secs, the unit switches off.

After seeing you inserted image, i'm excited that i may be able to replace the internal battery.

can you advise whether the battery is soldered in? or just held in place.

thanking you immensly...

Is your unit still under warranty with HTC?

I have frequently had these after taking a blueangel apart, but only once with a phone in 'normal use'. There is a round rechargeable button cell under a metal cover which can easily be replaced if faulty. I have found in most cases a long soak-charge seems to sort it out.

They'll tell you anything to get rid of you! Never heard of it as a major design fault before.

Richard