MoDaCo is undergoing planned maintenance. Site functionality may be reduced - follow @modaco or @paulobrien on Twitter for updates.

• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such software
      Nintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)

CUSTOM ROMS

You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not be hosted directly in topic via the MoDaCo attachment system
      ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)
      ROMs must give full credit to the original author
      This decision has been taken in light of the huge amount of interest in this area of device customisation within the community, and member feedback! Please note that custom ROM discussion should be kept in specific device sub-areas, (e.g. Kaiser.MoDaCo.com for Kaiser based devices). ISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact me directly via PM. P
    • Support MoDaCo by signing up to a MoDaCo Silver or Gold membership

To sign up to an annual MoDaCo Silver subscription which will eliminate all ads from the site (as well as giving you access to the MoDaCo Online Kitchens for Android) for only £9.99 using PayPal, Credit or Debit Card, ensure you are logged in to the site, and then click the link below, which will take you directly to the subscription store! You can also sign up to an annual MoDaCo Gold subscription for £29.99, which adds the benefits listed below! PURCHASE A MODACO SUBSCRIPTION - FREE Titanium Backup Mobile for Android worth $5.99! - FREE 1 year PrivateInternetAccess.com worth $39.95! - FREE 1 year LastPass Premium worth $12! - FREE CalcConvert for Pocket PC from Binaryfish worth $17.95! - FREE Calendar Bar for Pocket PC from OmegaOne worth $9.99! - FREE CamerAware for Pocket PC and Smartphone from MoDaCo worth £19.99 / $30! - FREE Chronos for Pocket PC from ActiveKitten worth $14.95! - FREE CodeWallet Pro for Smartphone and Pocket PC from DeveloperOne worth up to $24.95! - FREE Concentrix for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE FlexMail for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE FTouchSL for Pocket PC from Vekoff s.r.o. worth 10 euro / $12.50! - FREE Jewel Challenge for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE John Cody's Alerts Pro for Smartphone from Omnisoft worth $14.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Dutch for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> French for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> German for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Italian for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Spanish for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Dutch for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> French for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> German for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Russian for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Turkish for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE Note2Self for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $19.90! - FREE Opera 8.60 for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Opera Software worth up to $48! - FREE Pocket Informant for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE Pocket Launcher for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Conduits worth $9.95! - FREE PTab for Pocket PC and Smartphone from z4soft worth up to $60! - FREE Resco Explorer for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Resco worth up to $49.90! - FREE Safemode for Pocket PC from monocube worth $12.95 - FREE SplashPhoto for Pocket PC and Smartphone from SplashData worth up to $59.90! - FREE Sprite Backup for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Sprite Software worth $29.95! - FREE Teksoft Glyphs UI for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €9.95! - FREE Teksoft HeadsetRemote for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €4.95! - FREE Traffic Jam for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE unlock (1 per year) from imei-check.co.uk - DISCOUNT of 10% at MoDaCo FairDeal - DISCOUNT of 10% at Semsons.com - FORUM - AD FREE SITE - FORUM - custom rank / title - FORUM - double competition entries - FORUM - double post attachment space - FORUM - no search flood control - FORUM - priority event registration - FORUM - triple PM space
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspensions / ban.

Tutorial: Creating Cab Files

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Before I begin... all credit must go to GPCarreon[MVP] who passed his knowledge of cab creating on to lucky old me :D

Unpack the attatched file and put the folder "Cab Creating Tools" somewhere.

Now you got to create an inf file which tells the cab what to do. So lets look at the one for my Homer Screen....

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

CESignature="$Windows CE$"

Provider="w411y"

[CEStrings]

Appname="w411y-HomerSimpsonWM5"

[CEDevice]

ProcessorType=0
- Everything under [Version] is simple enough. Just change the 'Provider' -[CE Strings] is what will be said when asked to install. So when running it will say "Do you want to install w411y - HomerSimpson?" and ovcourse you click YES :D
[SourceDisksNames]

1=,Source1,,"Homer"

2=,Source2,,"Sounds"

3=,Source3,,"WMP Skin"
-[source Disk Names] ... these are the names of folders in the Cab Creating Tools folder. So in the folder you just downloaded (including cabwizSP etc" there are also folders named 'Homer' which includes the images and XML. A folder for 'Sounds' and for files to do with the 'WMP Skin'
[SourceDisksFiles]

"w411y-HomerSimpson.home.xml"=1

"HomerSimpson-Background.jpg"=1

"HomerSimpson-Message.jpg"=1

"HomerSimpson-Profile.jpg"=1

"HomerSimpson-Error.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Warning.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Info.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Question.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Volume.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Menu.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Startup1.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Startup2.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Shutdown1.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Shutdown2.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Multimedia.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Background(Non Orange).jpg"=1

"w411y-HomerSimpson(Non Orange Phones).home.xml"=1

"HomerSimpson-Banner.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-CanIGoNow.wav"=2

"HomerSimpson-Fail.wav"=2

"HomerSimpson-MailIsHere.wav"=2

"HomerSimpson-Squeel.wav"=2

"The Simpsons Theme Tune.wav"=2

"HomerBackground.jpg"=3

"HomerDisabled.jpg"=3

"HomerPushed.jpg"=3

"HomerWMP.skn"=3
-[source Disc Files] ... here you list all the files involved in the cab and then give them a number. (as later on in the inf you will say Copy all files = 1 to the following folder...")
[CopyFiles1]

"w411y-HomerSimpson.home.xml"

"HomerSimpson-Background.jpg"

"HomerSimpson-Message.jpg"

"HomerSimpson-Profile.jpg"

"HomerSimpson-Error.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Warning.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Info.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Question.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Volume.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Menu.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Startup1.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Startup2.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Shutdown1.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Shutdown2.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Multimedia.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Background(Non Orange).jpg"

"w411y-HomerSimpson(Non Orange Phones).home.xml"

"HomerSimpson-Banner.gif"

[CopyFiles2]

"HomerSimpson-CanIGoNow.wav"

"HomerSimpson-Fail.wav"

"HomerSimpson-MailIsHere.wav"

"HomerSimpson-Squeel.wav"

"The Simpsons Theme Tune.wav"

[CopyFiles3]

"HomerBackground.jpg"

"HomerDisabled.jpg"

"HomerPushed.jpg"

"HomerWMP.skn"
-[CopyFiles1] ... these are all the files that are =1 (Same applies for [CopyFiles2] and [CopyFiles3])
[DestinationDirs]

CopyFiles1=0,"\Application Data\Home"

CopyFiles2=0,"\Application Data\Sounds"

CopyFiles3=0,"\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player"
-[DestinationDirs] ... these are where your files are copied. So [CopyFiles1] will end up in "Application Data\Home"
[RegData]

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Splash Screen, CarrierBitmap,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Startup1.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Splash Screen, CarrierShutdownBitmap,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Shutdown2.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Splash Screen, MSBitmap,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Startup2.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Splash Screen, MSShutdownBitmap,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Shutdown1.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:ErrorBox, BKBitmapFile,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Error.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:ExclamationBox, BKBitmapFile,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Warning.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:InformationBox, BKBitmapFile,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Info.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:QuestionBox, BKBitmapFile,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Question.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:VolDlg, BKBitmapFile,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Volume.gif

HKCU,ControlPanel\Sounds\Shutdown, Sound,, \Application Data\Sounds\HomerSimpson-CanIGoNow.wav

HKCU,ControlPanel\Sounds\SystemStart, Script,, ap

HKLM,Software\HTC\Album, AudioBK,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Multimedia.gif
-[RegData] ... these are the Reg tweaks I am including (for system screens)
[DefaultInstall]

CopyFiles=CopyFiles1, CopyFiles2, CopyFiles3

AddReg=RegData

-[Default Install] .. this is what the cab does. So it will put the files from 'CopyFiles1/2/3' into their chosen 'DestinationDirs' and will apply the 'RegData'

Now save the file (from Notepad or your chosen text editor) as *.inf and make sure file type is set to 'all files'

Now drag your .inf file onto CabWizSP in the Cab Creating Tools folder and your Cab should appearin the folder. And thats it. One word of warning.... the paths on WM5 are different to WM2003... ie there is no Storage part to the WM5 OS

Fingers crossed this will get pinned so that everyone can see and none of you have an excuse as to why you havn't included extra screens in your homescreens :)

More info here...http://www.gpcarreon.com/?p=93

Hope this helps :) Good luck

Note: Dont forget to post any outcomes which have been helped by this tutorial :D

Cab_Creating_Tools.rar

Edited by w411y

Posted · Report post

Darn you, man! Now I will be up past my bedtime for a week again adding more stuff to my theme. I'm going to have to blame you when I can't stay awake in meetings!

Posted · Report post

Darn you, man! Now I will be up past my bedtime for a week again adding more stuff to my theme. I'm going to have to blame you when I can't stay awake in meetings!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) Can you stay awake in them anyway?

Looking forward to seeing your outcome :D

Posted · Report post

Hey W-

You say "Unpack the attatched file and put the folder "Cab Creating Tools" somewhere." in your post, but I don't see an attachment... am I missing something?

Posted · Report post

D'oh ! I'm sure I put it there. Unless its been removed?

Thanks for pointing out Ill upload now.

Posted · Report post

Thank you for this useful post.

I would like to know if it's possible to install different files with the same name. That is, I have a subdirectory with files that have the same name as other files in another subdirectory. Then I want to add them in a CAB file and then extract them in different subdirectories, so it should be possible to have repeated names because the files will never share the same directory. But I suppose that the CAB application is copying all the files at once in some temporary directory because when I extract the CAB file, though the subdirectories and files are created correctly, all the files with the same name have the same content. I mean, the files with the same name are overwritten in some phase of the CAB creation or extraction, so all of them are the same file at the end.

Posted · Report post

Hi there. :rolleyes:

The sample INF codes below will install 'Sample File.txt' on 2 different sub-directories: '\Storage\1' and '\Storage\2'

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

Provider="Your Name Here"

[CEStrings]

AppName="Your App Name Here"

[CEDevice]

ProcessorType=0

[SourceDisksNames]

2=,Folder2,,"2"

1=,Folder1,,"1"

[SourceDisksFiles]

"Sample File.txt"=2

"Sample File.txt"=1

[2]

"Sample File.txt"

[1]

"Sample File.txt"

[DestinationDirs]

2=0,"\Storage\2"

1=0,"\Storage\1"

[DefaultInstall]

CopyFiles=1, 2

Posted · Report post

Here is another sample. :rolleyes:

;;			Generated using

;;   Y.A.I.C. Maker for Windows XP

;;	   Build 022407. Freeware!

;;		 www.gpcarreon.com

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

Provider="laia"

[CEStrings]

AppName="laia's App"

[CEDevice]

ProcessorType=0

[SourceDisksNames]

5=,Folder5,,"SubB"

4=,Folder4,,"SubA"

3=,Folder3,,"Sub3"

2=,Folder2,,"Sub2"

1=,Folder1,,"Sub1"

[SourceDisksFiles]

"Sample File.txt"=5

"Sample File.txt"=4

"Sample File.txt"=3

"Sample File.txt"=2

"Sample File.txt"=1

[SubB]

"Sample File.txt"

[SubA]

"Sample File.txt"

[Sub3]

"Sample File.txt"

[Sub2]

"Sample File.txt"

[Sub1]

"Sample File.txt"

[DestinationDirs]

SubB=0,"\Storage\Folder2\SubB"

SubA=0,"\Storage\Folder2\SubA"

Sub3=0,"\Storage\Folder1\Sub3"

Sub2=0,"\Storage\Folder1\Sub2"

Sub1=0,"\Storage\Folder1\Sub1"

[DefaultInstall]

CopyFiles=Sub1, Sub2, Sub3, SubA, SubB

;;;  Yet Another Inf and Cab Maker

;;;		 Chamba lang po;-)

Posted · Report post

Thank you for your fast answer! You're right, all the folders and files are created correctly, but if you open the txt files you'll see that all of them have the same content. What I wanted to do is to work with different files with the same name. I am quite sure that when the files are taken from its subdirectories to be added, they are copied to a temp file without any information about their source, so the last file to be copied overwrites all other files. But this seems a very strange behaviour because it forces you to have all your files with different names! :rolleyes:

Posted · Report post

but if you open the txt files you'll see that all of them have the same content.

Noticed that one too. I'll try to find a work around for such a strange problem.

Posted · Report post

Hi laia :rolleyes:

I hope you'll find this guide helpful. I think you can also use the 'makecab.exe' from here.

Posted (edited) · Report post

@GP

I was thinking about this topic last night whilst trying to work something out.

You'll probably know the answer...

How do I set a Registry string value to null/blank?

What would I put in the INF file to do that?

This is what I want to CAB:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=820126

Edited by chucky.egg

Posted · Report post

@chucky

1) I'm assuming the 'DLL' on that thread is a string so kindly try this XML code

<wap-provisioningdoc>

<characteristic type="Registry">

<characteristic type="HKLM\System\Startup\1">

<parm name="Dll" value="" datatype="string" />

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKLM\System\Shutdown\1">

<parm name="Dll" value="" datatype="string" />

</characteristic>		

</characteristic>

</wap-provisioningdoc>

2) Save code as _setup.xml , open makecab.exe, type makecab _setup.xml chucky.cab (You can use this utility for command prompt concerns)

3) Test install the CAB file. Copy over to your Temp folder then run it from there. Note that the CAB file will only tweak your target reg keys. No file will be installed.

I tried it on my C500 and the keys were created just fine. Unit is app and registry unlocked (full) :rolleyes:

Posted · Report post

This was great. I have just used it to help me create a cab for a project at work and scored major brownie points. It provided an excellent starting point Thank you.

AJ

Posted · Report post

I did it! I made a theme and and a cab.

Thank you w411y.. I did have 3 errors show up when creating the cab

Windows CE CAB Wizard

Warning: Section [DestinationDirs] key "CopyFiles1" is not using the string "%InstallDir%"

Warning: Section [RegData] has no data

Warning: Section [DefaultInstall] key "AddReg" - there are no section entries to process

of course I am using linux and a windows emulator to run the cab wizard

it is true my regdata has no data because I am not making any reg changes, as for the copyfile1 dont know.

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

Provider="Jay"

[CEStrings]

Appname="LCARS-theme"

[CEDevice]

ProcessorType=0

[SourceDisksNames]

1=,Source1,,"LCARS"

[SourceDisksFiles]

"LCARS.home.xml"=1

"LCARS_background.jpg"=1

"LCARS_alert.jpg"=1

[CopyFiles1]

"LCARS.home.xml"

"LCARS_background.jpg"

"LCARS_alert.jpg"

[DestinationDirs]

CopyFiles1=0,"\Application Data\Home"

[RegData]

[DefaultInstall]

CopyFiles=CopyFiles1

AddReg=RegData

then when installing to phone it warned that it may not look right because it is for WM5 and my phone is MW6

but it works and look good

post-441225-1225169411_thumb.jpg

LCARS.CAB

let me know what you think.

Jay

p.s. the status will show your profile, I did a manual edit of them..