MPx200 shuts down after entering PIN

Guest Fubarovic

Guest Fubarovic

Yesterday, I connected my phone to a USB-port on my computer for it to charge up. I got the Windows dialog "New hardware found" but I ignored as I was too drunk at the moment and wanted to go to sleep. The phone was on at that moment.

This morning I woke up and noticed the phone was turned off. I turned it on and after entering my PIN, I saw I was connected to my operator. Seconds later the screen went blank. The cell phone had shut down. Now, that's all it does anymore. I took it back to the store to see what they had to say. I thought it was the battery since I get no reaction from the phone whatsoever when I try to recharge it: no nice indicators on the display, nothing. :)

The guys at the store took a look and told me it was probably a software error, not the battery. Since it's out of warranty, this would cost me € 119 to fix! Obviously I'd rather get a new phone altogether if I can't sort this problem out.

The phone is running SmartPhone 2003, but it has been doing that for well over a year now. It's also been working fine up until now, apart from some occasional quirks that are solved by removing the battery.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

As of now, the phone won't even turn on anymore.  :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do youhave the software tools for ROM flashing?

If so, you can try using the steps included in the Motorola Upgrade Wizard to see if the PC can detect the phone.

If you dun mind hard resetting your phone & possibly loosing the data inside, you could remove the SD card(if any) & try hold doen the BLUE action button while powering up by pressing the power switch.

If nothing shows, then maybe more serious problem lying beneath.

Regards!

Guest Fubarovic

I still have the original CD-Rom's so I should be able to do a ROM flash. I already tried the blue button + on button trick, but still nothing happens. I think the battery is dead now, but it won't recharge.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Sounds more like the internal fuse has gone rather than software.

This will give you the problem you are experiencing.

Normally when you start the phone with a low battery you would get

the initial problem you described until the charge gets too low and it will not even attempt to power on.

Do you rememeber if the PC was still powered on or in hibernation etc when you woke up that morning? If it was not powered on the PC can actually discharge the phone's battery until it get too low then it will shut the phone down.

Everything you describe would point to the charging\internal fuse and definately not software.

Guest Fubarovic

I remember the phone was on when I hooked it up to the computer, I got the "new hardware" dialog. When I woke up, the screen was blank. So I pressed a few keys, but the display wouldn't light up. I'm guessing it had shutdown, because when I pressed the ON button, it showed the "Hello Moto" screen.

When I come to think of it: it would still turn on when I took it to the store. They took it in the backroom and probably did something to it, but when I got back home with it, it had stopped working entirely.

Now, I don't think two clerks can do anything I can't do with a phone so I really have no idea what happened back there. All they could say was that it definetely wasn't the battery that had gone.

Guest awarner [MVP]

They may have taken the battery and tested it in another phone, but all that would do is help drain what was left of the charge.

If you have a digital voltmeter see what the battery is reading, but I would edge my bets on the internal fuse.

Is there anyone local to you that has an MPX200? if you do get them to charge the battery and see what happens.

Guest Fubarovic

I'll check the battery's readings this weekend: I don't have a voltmeter around.

And I don't know anyone with the same phone as mine. That was something I liked up until now: to have a "unique" phone.

Someone on a different forum told me to manually recharge the battery for a few minutes by connecting it to a few AA-batteries. He thought the battery was so low that the phone didn't even recognize the charger.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Good luck :)

I also have a guide for taking the phone apart that I posted both here and on MGN so hopefully it will help you.

Can you get a replacement fuse ok?

You must have a very unstable power in the US as this problem only seems to happen there.

Guest Fubarovic

Lol, I'm from Belgium. I've always recharged it in Europe.

My brother in law didn't replace the fuse (too much effort for me to find a replacement), he just bridged it. It's working again!!! But now, it can't find the SIM-card. Do you guys think I might have screwed something up? Or could it just be a software problem fixable by a soft or hard reset?

Guest Fubarovic

I've been playing around with it, and it seems that only SIM-cards from my operator (BASE) aren't recognized. SIM-cards from other operators (Mobistar, Proximus) work fine! Or at least, they're recognized and after typing in the PIN-code I'm connected to the network.

I think this calls for a reset ...

Guest awarner [MVP]

Good to hear it's working ok :)

Sorry for the mistake in location :oops: It's just this problem

appears to happen in the US more than any other country.

Just bridging the fuse may lead to other problems, just make sure you haev a stable power supply :D

Guest Fubarovic

Yeah, I know that wasn't the smartest idea. It was the quickest tho! :D

I stuck a piece of paper between SIM and battery and all is fine again. I guess I didn't even have to reset. All fixed now! :)

Guest HuckFinn

Glad to hear my guide is still helping people. I ran my phone bridged for a long time without any problems, so I would think you would be fine.

-

Good to hear it's working ok :)

Sorry for the mistake in location :oops: It's just this problem

appears to happen in the US more than any other country.

Just bridging the fuse may lead to other problems, just make sure you haev a stable power supply :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>