O2 XDA mini-S newbie

Guest b6x

Good evening all.

I'm new to this XDA business after recently migrating from an old iPAQ, so please go easy on me. A few teething problems I've been having that I'd appreciate some assistance on...

1) please tell me there's a way to stop that green LED flashing every 5 seconds? It's doing my head in. I wouldn't mind so much if you could trust the LED, however it seems to sometimes flash orange when I dont have messages, and green when I do. And the "no limit" notification option just doesn't work.

2) I've installed the wireless 'g' hack and the XDA connects fine to my "g only" configured router - however the range seems very very poor. (Another room less than 10 metres away and the signal is next to useless). I've slid the slider to "best performance" however that seems, to me, to make very little if any difference.

3) Battery life seems pretty poor. Must admit I was expecting a bit better than 2 days of average use. Can you buy better, higher capacity, batteries for these things?

4) ActiveSync - is it me not looking hard enough, or has Microsoft removed the Backup/Restore function from ActiveSync 4.0?

5) BlueTooth identifcation to other devices - how can I configure that? It seems to have just inherited the first line of my Owner information and is therefore broadcasting my name out to everyone within 10 metres of me.

6) How can I remove the four or five "last used" programs being listed in the Start Menu; just above the "Programs" and "settings" items

I did have a load of issues but thats all I can remember for now. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give.

Regards,

b6x

Edited by b6x

Guest zombiefly
5)  Go to Start -> Settings -> About -> Device ID tab

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

on my vario, the id on the device id tab has nothing to do with the bluetooth broadcast name. It uses the first line of the owner information, which is worse than useless

on my vario, the id on the device id tab has nothing to do with the bluetooth broadcast name. It uses the first line of the owner information, which is worse than useless

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. Same here. Device ID is just the id that ActiveSync sees. BlueTooth using the first name of my owner information. Crap.

... and what is it with it disabling the "make this device discoverable to other devices" everytime you switch off B.T.

Anyway, I've hacked the following registry key and things seem to be working ok...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Bluetooth\Settings\LocalName

I've re-paired with the laptop, and so far so good. Time will tell.

Ta,

b6x

Guest brykins

[1] The flashing LED.....don't think it can be turned off. I used to have a Tre600 and someone made a nice little freeware app where you could choose the off/solid/flash/long flash and either red/orange/green colour for almost anything - phone on, signal, messages, voicemail, etc. Don't THINK there's anything similar for WM.

[2] Check that there's nothing blocking the signal. I work in the rear of my garage, converted into an office. There's foil ined plaster board on one wall, then insulation, then breeze block. I get a signal in the room next door, but nothing after that.....about 10m is my best working distance and that was with a laptop with a PCMCIA card with an external aerial. My experience is that WiFi isn't as great as is claimed.

[3] Probably about right on the battery life - WiFi and BT will eat into the battery life and it might be worth trying to get used to having the screen one notch dimmer than you think you need.

[4] Yes - MS left out the backup/restore but Sprite are working on the WM5 version of Sprite Backup. MS also left out the ability sync categories of contacts - bloody annoying. And they made sync'ing take longer. And harder to get working if you happen to have a firewall running. But then MS employees probably all use Palms.

[5] BT - don't know as I never use it. Wired handsfree works just fine. All other BT stuff is pretty useless until everything starts to work at 100m.

[6] Don't know about removing the last used....I never use the Start menu now as I have everything I need in tabs under PocketPlus.

Guest NightFox
... and what is it with it disabling the "make this device discoverable to other devices" everytime you switch off B.T.

Anyway,  I've hacked the following registry key and things seem to be working ok... 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Bluetooth\Settings\LocalName

I've re-paired with the laptop, and so far so good.  Time will tell.

Ta,

b6x

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, this is the way to change your BT device name - shouldn't give you any problems; I've been doing it this way ever since BT first appeared on Smartphones