Tip: See Wizard's Keyboard Mode

Guest lesgainous

Guest lesgainous

Disclaimer: Editing the registry on your device may cause irreparable harm to your device. I am not responsible for any mishaps. Edit at your own risk.

(please accept my apology if this tip has already been posted in another thread. I searched this forum, but searching this forum is difficult and is a real pain) :x

To enable the Cap/Shift and Dot indicator on the screen when typing:

- Using your favorite Registry Editor for Windows Mobile, go to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Keybd

- Create a DWORD called EnableIndicator with value of "1" (without the quotation marks)

- Save changes and exit the registry editor

- Power off your device (do not soft-reset it at this point--unwritten changes are still cached in RAM and powering off will flush them to ROM)

- Soft-reset your device (by inserting the stylus into the reset button hole)

-- 8125kbindicator13yy.jpg

-- 8125kbindicator24zu.jpg

I'm assuming that this will work on any HTC Wizard. I know it works on the Cingular 8125 version.

Enjoy!

Edited by lesgainous

Guest melvynadam
it only shows when there is a text field to enter into (i.e. not the Today screen) -

I would have thought that was the ideal behaviour - not taking up screen space unless there's a purpose in doing so.

Works for me (on a Vario). Thanks OP.

I'm assuming that this will work on any HTC Wizard. I know it works on the Cingular 8125 version.

Superb. Works fine on an O2 XDA mini-S. Thanks alot. :)

Edited by b6x

Guest lesgainous
Can someone tell me how to get into the symbols menu when typing an email?

Basically, you type the character that most close resembles the character you want, and then press the round "dot" key and the Sym (Space) key. Repeated pressings of the Dot+Sym key cycles through all related symbols for the original character that you entered.

For example, when composing a document or email, enter the "(" character. Now press the Dot, then Sym key. You'll notice the "(" changes to "[". Pressing Dot, then Sym again, produces the "{" character. Repeat and you'll see "<", then "«".

Edited by lesgainous

Guest st3ph3n
Basically, you type the character that most close resembles the character you want, and then press the round "dot" key and the Sym (Space) key. Repeated pressings of the Dot+Sym key cycles through all related symbols for the original character that you entered.

For example, when composing a document or email, enter the "(" character. Now press the Dot, then Sym key. You'll notice the "(" changes to "[". Pressing Dot, then Sym again, produces the "{" character. Repeat and you'll see "<", then "«".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW! That worked. Makes sense now. I guess I should have RTFM in the first place.

Guest robbmasters

Hmmm.... maybe I'm doing something stupid, but it doesn't seem to be working properly for me.

I used BreakSoft's MobileRegistryEditor to edit the registry on my O2 XDA Mini S (with the O2 customisation removed as described at http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...dpost&p=707087).

Now I'm getting the C and dot symbols... but the "C" appears when I'm typing LOWER case. That's not right, is it? :?:

Guest robbmasters

Yes, I was doing something stupid. Why is it you always realise this immediately after posting... :oops:

Anyway, seems I had caps-lock turned on in the on-screen keyboard and this was reversing the effect of caps-lock on the physical keyboard...

Guest PayableOnDeath

since i put this hack on, my dot+sym(Space) doesnt work so i cant change # to * or ( to { , etc

anyone else had this problem?

Edited by PayableOnDeath

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jim.mason

What a great tip. Used Resco Reg editor to do mine with no problems at all.

Only had my XDA Mini S a couple of days and was really annoyed at not being able to tell what mode the keyboard was in (until you type :) ) but now its much easier to use although it did take me a while to realise that if you hit either key twice in a row it changes all the keys you press rather than just the next one.

Cheer

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DeejUK

Nice, but why oh why can't it work on the Password screen? Maybe it's my own stupid fault for having all maner of strange case variations and symbols in my password...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...