SIM Unlock MPX 200 for free :)

Guest njitram

Guest wasyed

does simunlock mean to unlock your phone so any carriers sim card will work in the phone? I used it thinking it was for the sim card errors people get when rebooting the phone but I realized thats not it. sorry if this question seems obvious. I already have an unlocked phone so maybe thats why i dont know what you mean by sim unlock

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Calabahn

I used this to unlock my ATT phone. It worked great. Cingular kept saying that they never got the unlock codes from ATT and couldn't help, even after writing to the office of the president.

Now my MPX200 works on the cingular network. Why did this have to be so difficult? Didn't they buy ATTWS?

• 1 month later...
Guest evilminky

do you need the orange sim card in the phone to begin this process or can it be done with no sim card. ( just got phone from ebay and have no orange sim card)

Guest evilminky

the problem is the oldsim.raw file is not created, can anyone shed some light on this? i am currently trying withought any sim card but have tried with the o2 sim card.

Guest xxcrashxx

1. do it without a sim card in the phone.

2. the way the program makes the *.raw file, is only in the directory where the program is at.

ex. C:\mobile unlock toolss\bin\mpx200_backup.exe is the program. in step 3, save it to C:\mobile unlock toolss\bin\*.raw

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pondrew

There was no official update released for the MPX200 to either WM2003 or WM5 and discussion of unofficial/leaked beta roms is against MoDaCo rules.

Just in case anyone forgets...

Guest rasoul

Hey everyone, sorry I kind of dropped off the face of the earth after posting that forever ago... gotten a lot of e-mails with questions and problems and done my best to reply but so far I've gotten mostly success stories. I'm trying to compile a list of FAQ and troubleshooting, and this looks like as good of a spot as any until I have time to update my website.

First off, does it need a SIM card inserted? NO, this was not tried by myself, but confirmed by someone who e-mailed me saying he was successful with unlocking without the SIM inserted.

"The four question marks in step 2 are greyed out, I can't push them"

This seems to be a driver problem. If the driver is not successfully installed in step 1, then the MPX200_Backup.exe program cannot find the phone in order to save the RAW file. You can see if the driver is properly installed by going into your Device Manager under Modems and seeing if it's there. A step further would be to go into properties of the device and see if it says it's working properly.

"I'm getting an error in step 3, cannot find oldsim.raw"

There are a few things to try. First, try changing it to RAW (caps letters) -- for some strange reason that makes a difference sometimes.

Also, verify that the file exists... browse to that file location and see if it's there. If it's not there, then backtrack, there's probably a problem with step 2 (and when there's a problem with step 2, it's usually a problem with step 1)

There are more, those are the most common, I'll sort through my e-mails when I get more time and post them and how we ended up resolving them

Also, if you've gotten this to work and had to take extra steps I didn't document, please post those here to help out others! :)

-Rasoul

Guest rasoul

Crazier things have happened... but if you're having trouble...

I got an e-mail from someone trying with no luck on unlocking his mpx200 with my site. After endless aggrivation, and 3 days of e-mails, he e-mails me and said he got it... so I asked him how he got it to work, here's what he said:

"Hi. I did it on my other computer. I do not know why it didnt work on my other

computer with exactly the same process."

Strange... :)

But, I guess if you're STILL having problems, try another computer. :)

Guest awarner (MVP)
But, I guess if you're STILL having problems, try another computer. :)

Seen this with running updates and aaplication unlocking on the original SPV those were the days. :)

BTW

Thanks for the updates

Guest rasoul

Ok, here's my latest stumper... any ideas?

"Well, no luck. I've tried it with 2 different MPX-200's, with and without

sim card and on two different computers. When I get to step 4 in the backup

program I get a real quick indecipherable message once I click the ????

button and no oldsim.raw file shows up in my C:\ directory. Either there is

a bug in the program or there is no communication between the phone and PC.

I did check the device manager and the modem is loaded and noted as working

properly. Any ideas?"

I appreciate everyone's input... I suggested checking modem installation and verifying oldsim.raw existence... As I said, I'm at a loss... anyone have similar problems they were able to work out?

-Rasoul

Guest awarner (MVP)

One initial thought is could it be an OS problem. There are so many varients of the MPX200 ROM that it's possible something strange has crept in.

Also what are the computers running? ie firewalls etc

Guest domer83
One initial thought is could it be an OS problem. There are so many varients of the MPX200 ROM that it's possible something strange has crept in.

Also what are the computers running? ie firewalls etc

My PC's are running Windows XP. Both MPX200s were updated to the 2003 smartphone software some time ago, version 4.20.0 (build 13349).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Guest awarner (MVP)

As they have 2003 this may be the issue, most people SIM unlocked before upgrading to 2003.

If you can find a 2002 ROM it may be worth downgrading to see if this makes a difference.

Guest rasoul

Great new update... all it took was a creative thinker. Thanks Mike E for the discovery!

"Hi,

After scouring the web at some length I found your instructions for...

I got hung up at one point, because it was failing to create the

oldsim.raw file on my C drive. So I figured if the file already existed

it might not mind overwriting it (as opposed to creating a new file). So

I created a new blank text file, changed its name and extension and then

backtracked to the appropriate place in the instructions. Bingo! That

worked, and ultimately I got the phone unlocked.

Again, many thanks! ...

Mike E."

Guest rasoul

I think Joe figured out why Mike's method worked... because it's not actually creating the file unless you use the browse button ("..." button). This may be the key to your problems if you're having trouble creating the oldsim.raw file.

"Definitely worked fantastic! I used it to unlock a MOT MPX200 from ATT

Wireless to T-Mobile--took a little while to get it to work and one thing

was messed up. When you save the oldsim.raw you have to choose where it's

going from the box with the "..." so that way it actually makes the

progress of creating the file, I just chose to put it as c:\oldsim.raw and

it didn't work until I used the "..." button.

But it was awesome. Leaving credit where credit is due.

thanks.

-Joe"

Guest Phullcourt
I think Joe figured out why Mike's method worked... because it's not actually creating the file unless you use the browse button ("..." button). This may be the key to your problems if you're having trouble creating the oldsim.raw file.

"Definitely worked fantastic! I used it to unlock a MOT MPX200 from ATT

Wireless to T-Mobile--took a little while to get it to work and one thing

was messed up. When you save the oldsim.raw you have to choose where it's

going from the box with the "..." so that way it actually makes the

progress of creating the file, I just chose to put it as c:\oldsim.raw and

it didn't work until I used the "..." button.

But it was awesome. Leaving credit where credit is due.

thanks.

-Joe"

Thanks for the tip on using the browse button to create the oldsim.raw file, however I have a different issue. After creating the oldsim.raw file (on two different machines) in command prompt I get the error :

"cannot read input file :c:\oldsim.raw" therefore I am unable to create the newsim.raw file. Any ideas or suggestions?

Guest Phullcourt

After a little "googling" and some help from the wife (she's the DOS expert) got it unlocked and it's working great! Thanks rasoul, you ROCK!!!

Guest Phullcourt

For anyones future reference, here are some solutions:

The program FixIMEI.exe looks for oldsim.raw in C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\oldsim.raw - merely copy the oldsim.raw and haha.raw files to that location.

Also, when in the DOS prompt, during the file conversions eliminate the "c:\" from the conversion commands -

Example: Do NOT type "c:\oldsim.raw c:\newsim.raw"

DO type "oldsim.raw newsim.raw"

The same syntax applies to the .bin file conversion i.e. eliminate the "c:\" from the commands.

Hope this makes it easier for anyone else in the future. Thanks again Rasoul.

Guest fluffcat1
For anyones future reference, here are some solutions:

The program FixIMEI.exe looks for oldsim.raw in C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\oldsim.raw - merely copy the oldsim.raw and haha.raw files to that location.

Also, when in the DOS prompt, during the file conversions eliminate the "c:\" from the conversion commands -

Example: Do NOT type "c:\oldsim.raw c:\newsim.raw"

DO type "oldsim.raw newsim.raw"

The same syntax applies to the .bin file conversion i.e. eliminate the "c:\" from the commands.

Hope this makes it easier for anyone else in the future. Thanks again Rasoul.

These steps you mention are unnecessary ( for me at least) and I've unlocked over 50 mpx200 handsets using this app. You would only omit the c:\ form the command in the dos prompt if you had saved the files somewhere other than the root.

fiximei does not 'look' in any specific directory - if you omit the path by leaving out the c:\ it looks in the CURRENT directory you are running it from, as per most dos apps. If you have saved the file in the root you need to tell it the file is in the root by entering the path. Kinda obvious really, and the instructions as written DO work perfectly. You're just confusing the matter with your own interpretation which doesn't help.

Richard