Orange SPV C600 AKU2 Update Released

Guest eelco_akker

Guest Cowie

The installer just keeps falling over on my machine (XP Pro on a decent spec PC). I start the installer, go through the screens until it gets round to actually making the update when ActiveSync shuts down, a 'new USB device is found' and I get the message that the installer has stopped responding. Meanwhile, the C600 looks like it's ready and waiting with a 'test card' screen.

Tried a re-boot just in case but with the same results. It looks like the installer is trying to use different USB drivers, maybe? :??:

Luckily, it hadn't managed to partially update and I was able to reset the C600.

Any ideas anyone? I'm very new to this so if I'm missing something, please forgive me.

Ta.

Cowie

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

ajutd - are you sorted now then? You need to enable passthrough internet connection (which should be on by default) to use Internet over AS. Try GPRS if it isnt working through your PC and see if you get the same results. I got the same error and had to re-enter my password when i got it wrong.

Cowie - everything sounds fine up to your installer crashing - best bet is to disconnect from the internet and the disable and kill the processes for any firewalls or virus scanners you have running. Failing that, do you have a friend whos willing to lend you their PC? ;)

Guest Cowie

Thanks for the quick response Monolithix. After the first failed attempt I shut down my firewall, anti-virus and just about any other app I could think of that might be getting in the way.

The one thing I didn't do was use the install CD that came from Orange (as I'm already on ActiveSync 4.1 rather than the 4.0 on the CD and have Outlook 2003 rather than the 2002 supplied). I assumed (probably wrongly?) that XP would choose the correct drivers and indeed all seems to be working well......... until now.

I'll probably borrow another XP box tomorrow and try again.

Cheers

Guest Cowie

Replying to my own post.....

it would seem to be an ActiveSync 4.1 issue. I uninstalled 4.1 and installed 4.0 which 'updated' the USB drivers as part of the installation. I then re-booted and applied the update without any issue! Does 4.1 use USB 2.0 drivers whereas 4.0 uses 1.1 and the update app looks for the wrong drivers?

Now that the update is done I'm going to stick 4.1 back on again.

Guest Harroguk

it would seem to be an ActiveSync 4.1 issue.  I uninstalled 4.1 and installed 4.0 which 'updated' the USB drivers as part of the installation.  I then re-booted and applied the update without any issue!  Does 4.1 use USB 2.0 drivers whereas 4.0 uses 1.1 and the update app looks for the wrong drivers?

Now that the update is done I'm going to stick 4.1 back on again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure about this as I successfully updated whilst on 4.1 having reinstalled my Comp at the weekend and never having 4.0 installed on it.

Guest Szaffi

it would seem to be an ActiveSync 4.1 issue.  I uninstalled 4.1 and installed 4.0 which 'updated' the USB drivers as part of the installation.  I then re-booted and applied the update without any issue!  Does 4.1 use USB 2.0 drivers whereas 4.0 uses 1.1 and the update app looks for the wrong drivers?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, I had the same problem and resolved it successfully :-) It appeared that on some XP workstations ActiveSync 4.0/4.1 does not bind properly the TCP/IP protocol. To resolve the problem:

1. Connect your phone

2. Go to Network Connections (Start, Connect to, Show all connections) on Windows XP

3. Find the newly added network connection and go to Properties

4. Check the TCP/IP Protocol and also File & Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks.

5. You are done and shall have no problems...

Regards

Mike

Guest jfreiman
Has anyone tried installing this update on the Cingular 2125 (Faraday) yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just tried it.

After the phone reboots the Update software comes up with Invalid Vender ID and the installation stops.

I'm having issues with my 2125 locking onto my service and was hoping that the newer Antenna version would help resolve this issue.

I guess I'll have to wait for Cingular to follow up with an Update.

Guest jtheun
Used the link fron the site when the web unlock failed, had to include the following;

Please send me the IMEI number exactly as it is displayed on the

screen when you type *#06# in your phone. Once I have this I will send you

a file within the next few days.

Please also make sure you include your full name, network country, Orange phone number, Orange handset model, and handset IMEI number in your reply.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might have a problem... I am on T-Mobile in the US and have (had) an unlocked C600. I installed the upgrade and, as others have found, the phone is not Application locked. I went through the steps mentioned here, but I am afraid that they would ignore me, since I don't have an Orange SIM card or phone number... Any other tips for how to get this new version unlocked would be greatly appreciated!

(I wonder if I give them anyone's phone number on the Orange network, whether that would help... do they check the name/phone number/IMEI numbers to see if they match their records?)

Guest ichilton

Hi,

The orange site tells you to backup your data as all data and settings will be removed.

Have I missed something? - how do you do this?

There is no Orange backup and no backup function in ActiveSync like there is when sync'd with a PocketPC.

I would like to install the update as a few people in the thread mention the device is quicker and i've found it sluggish at times but I wont want to loose the settings i've spent weeks getting right or my call history etc.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks

Ian

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Theres no way to back up settings unfortunately. Jeyo Mobile Companion (google it) will let you back up call history and SMS with its 15 day trial. Contacts and files you'll have to do via Activesync.

Guest bflack

Hi all.

Glad Orange released this and got it working, well, mostly....

First thing - can't install the certificate! Tried the apps on the web but they're not for WM5 - also tried installing it via a browser on IE on the phone but doesn't follow through to AS, anyone got round this yet?

Secondly, the push email usually works well but occaisonally the GPRS signal (in top right, on top of regular signal bar) seems to go off and push email doesn't come through. To re-initiate it, I have to do a manual AS. This usually turns itself off when I take a call or lose signal. Anyone else have this and/or got round it?

Cheers for your help, love the board and your comments,

Brad.

Guest sergiupapuc

HI,

Anybody knows if this update is just for UK ORANGE C600 or for any ORANGE C600 ? (I never understand this separation, ORANGE must be ORANGE for EVERYBODY, FR UK RO CH....!)

I don't want to lose any local setings!

Thanks!

Guest thermionic

I've installed the AKU2 update on a C600 and push email and remote wipe work really well. I am however experiencing a really annoying problem in that the phone keeps switching flight mode on...

Orange are replacing the phone this eveing so I'll see if its a hardware issue, or if this is something thats been missed in testing.

I've got a nasty feeling that its using the 10 minute inactivity timeout which should just lock the device to switch flight mode on...

It also seems to have problems making phone calls (as if its not dropping GPRS). The boot time feels longer, but in operation it feels a bit faster.

Edited by thermionic

Guest 111hhh111
OK, my bad, ;), was to impatient with it. It is in fact working OK.  :roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you do anything special to get it to work?

Im pulling my hair out trying to get it work! It crashes on the map screen.

Guest ElGato65
Did you do anything special to get it to work?

Im pulling my hair out trying to get it work! It crashes on the map screen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, just left it for a while. It's there I thought it had crashed.

Guest 111hhh111
Nope, just left it for a while. It's there I thought it had crashed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I figured it out - it crashed everytime until I paired the GPS unit. I was trying to get it to work without the unit and it wouldn't work. I paired the gps unit with the phone, left the gps unit on and started the program and it worked fine.

If you need to reset tomtom to repair with a different unit or whatever, go to Storage Card>TomTom and delete Navigator.cfg.

Hope this helps anyone having problems.

Guest Harroguk
I figured it out - it crashed everytime until I paired the GPS unit. I was trying to get it to work without the unit and it wouldn't work. I paired the gps unit with the phone, left the gps unit on and started the program and it worked fine.

If you need to reset tomtom to repair with a different unit or whatever, go to Storage Card>TomTom and delete Navigator.cfg.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does indeed. TomTom now working fine. Thank you

Guest thermionic
I've installed the AKU2 update on a C600 and push email and remote wipe work really well. I am however experiencing a really annoying problem in that the phone keeps switching flight mode on...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the replacement c600 works correctly :-)

Guest ElGato65

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did wonder myself if that was the issue, can't remember if I set up the GPS this time before I tried TomTom.

Guest bleep

to get it to work without the gps connected.

1st turn on bluetooth in the connection manager.

this stops the program from hanging...

This is what I found out as im still looking on the internet for a replacment gps receiver of the cheep kind.

Guest 111hhh111

There are definately problems with tomtom and the updated (?) bluetooth stack (?) on the new update.

I took tomtom out for a drive today and it crashed once for no reason and then wouldn't restablish the link with the reciever (rikaline 6033). Also if the connection is dropped by you removing the gps unit from the proximity of the phone or switching the gps unit off, Tomtom will not restablish the link without a reboot.

Perhaps it has something to do with updated phone routines for accessing the stack, as TomTom doesn't seem to be able to intialize bluetooth itself (you need to start it yourself everytime as mentioned before)

I'll do some more testing 2moro.

Guest spv_rambo
Excuse my ignorance, but how would i tell,  :oops: Not something that interested me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ElGato - Let me know when the world stops revolving around you.

Anyone know if music can now be played through your Bluetooth Headset or through the speakes of your car if you have a bluetooth system installed?

Thank you to anyone that can give this question a proper reply.

Guest tmohammad

Someone mentioned in one of the Forums that the battery life has improved. Not on my C600 it has not! I used to get though the weekend by having a full charge on Thursday evening. Monday morning at work I'd still have two (at worse 1 bar left) but with the new software, it totally conked out Sunday evening.

Others things I have noticed:

1: Internet Explorer: It may be faster, but it does not display some pages correctly. I used to be able to use NTL webmail no problems on the old ROM. Now its all over the place and I cant find half the buttons on the web page.

2: Java applications: The fonts on the java apps have been reduced to a size that is hardly readable. This is NOT the page text, rather the menu and banner text.

3: The device lock now requires a minimum 4 digit password. In the old ROM I used to be able to set it to "0". This meant that this acted like a keyguard after one minute. Now I have to put in four "0"s and its a pain.

This ROM upgrade may turn out to have more negative aspects than positive!