GUIDE: The good old picture browser on QTek 8300/8310

Guest jakobdam

Guest jakobdam

The old multimedia browser on the Windows Mobile 2003SE was way better than the one embedded in Windows Mobile 5.0 (in my opinion).

The old Windows Mobile 2003SE multimedia browser could show pictures and sound files from subfolders - and it was WAY faster to zoom in and out, as well as change pictures, compared to the slow nuisance found in Windows Mobile 5.0.

This guide shows how to port the excellent Windows Mobile 2003SE browser to your Windows Mobile 5.0 device (propably Smartphones only - sorry PDA-users).

The trick requires that you have access to a Windows Mobile 2003SE device, part from your Windows Mobile 5.0 phone.

1) Connect the Windows Mobile 2003SE unit to your PC using ActiveSync.

Copy the following files to your PC (they're located in the folder \Windows\):

Album.exe

Album.exe.0406.mui

Album.exe.0407.mui

Album.exe.0409.mui

Album.exe.040C.mui

Album.exe.0410.mui

Album.exe.0413.mui

Album.exe.0C0A.mui

2) One copied to your PC, make them a ZIP-file; this is necessary as Windows Mobile 5.0 will not otherwise transfer them.

3) Copy the ZIP-file to your Windows Mobile 5.0 device (i.e. QTek 8300/8310). Open your file browser on the phone, and unzip the ZIP-file - place all unzipped files in the \Windows\ folder.

4) You're done! - Now execute the Album.exe file in the \Windows\ folder ;)

Enjoy the speed and versatility of this picture viewer :P

Best regards

Jakob Dam // Denmark

Guest Milan Svec

Copy the following files ...

I'd like to do it.

But my LOOX 720 with Windows Mobile 2003SE shows only these Album.* files located in the folder \Windows\:

Album.exe

Album.lnk

Album_Res.dll

Album_Res.dll.0405.mui

It is Album Pro Pocket PC Version 2.51 (Build 16896) from High Tech Computer Corp.

Jakob, could you help me? Thank you.

Guest kevinsephiroth
I'd like to do it.

But my LOOX 720 with Windows Mobile 2003SE shows only these Album.* files located in the folder \Windows\:

Album.exe

Album.lnk

Album_Res.dll

Album_Res.dll.0405.mui

It is Album Pro Pocket PC Version 2.51 (Build 16896) from High Tech Computer Corp.

Jakob, could you help me? Thank you.

i can't remember where, maybe here on modaco, but somebody has already shown this;

maybe on another smartphone website , as you said you didn't find it here

i have on my StorageCard a folder with:

IA_Album.exe

IA_Album.exe.0407.mui

IA_Album.exe.0409.mui

IA_Album.exe.040A.mui

IA_Album.exe.040C.mui

IA_Album.exe.0410.mui

IA_Camera.exe

IAC4SP.dll

IAC4SP.dll.0407.mui

IAC4SP.dll.0409.mui

IAC4SP.dll.040A.mui

IAC4SP.dll.040C.mui

IAC4SP.dll.0410.mui

and if i click on IA_Album.exe i have the old album from my C500! (on my C600).

Without having to put it on the windows folder.

if it is what you wanted, i can make a rar file and put all of these files in it and post it here (total size shouldn't exceed 900Ko)

Guest jakobdam

Milan Svec >

It actually doesn't matter that much - as far as I've found out, the .mui files are only language packs. Which means that the one .mui file you have, is quite adequate - so it should work with just the few files you have. ;)

Except if you want to change language...

Guest kevinsephiroth
Milan Svec >

It actually doesn't matter that much - as far as I've found out, the .mui files are only language packs. Which means that the one .mui file you have, is quite adequate - so it should work with just the few files you have. ;)

Except if you want to change language...

well the guy who gave me his data from his C500 must had alot of languages in! :P

Guest Milan Svec

Well, thank you all.

to: jakobdam

This is the only message I've got after executing the Album.exe file in the \Windows\ folder of my Qtek 8310.

"Can't find 'Album' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available."

(the same in my language of course)

The path and filename are correct - in \Windows\ folder both.

to: kevinsephiroth

I have the Album from HTC, not from IA. There are only those three files (as mentioned above) in the \Windows\ folder of my LOOX 720 really.

There must be something more to run them in my Qtek 8310, I guess. Who knows? Any idea?

Guest Cybertronic

I've noticed this as well how the picture browser on WM5 is poor in comparison against WM 2003's and WM 2003 SE. It's a shame I don't have a WM 2003 SE phone to get the files ;)

Edited by Cybertronic

i can't remember where, maybe here on modaco, but somebody has already shown this;

maybe on another smartphone website , as you said you didn't find it here

i have on my StorageCard a folder with:

IA_Album.exe

IA_Album.exe.0407.mui

IA_Album.exe.0409.mui

IA_Album.exe.040A.mui

IA_Album.exe.040C.mui

IA_Album.exe.0410.mui

IA_Camera.exe

IAC4SP.dll

IAC4SP.dll.0407.mui

IAC4SP.dll.0409.mui

IAC4SP.dll.040A.mui

IAC4SP.dll.040C.mui

IAC4SP.dll.0410.mui

and if i click on IA_Album.exe i have the old album from my C500! (on my C600).

Without having to put it on the windows folder.

if it is what you wanted, i can make a rar file and put all of these files in it and post it here (total size shouldn't exceed 900Ko)

Please I would like to get those files (IA_Album) for my SP5 (english) Thanks

Guest leethacker
Please I would like to get those files (IA_Album) for my SP5 (english) Thanks

I would also like to get the browser for my SP5, though I have no WM2003 phone.

Guest Milan Svec

to: omar302

SUPER - Thank you very much - it's working great!

to: Cybertronic

Use the way from Jakobdam above - no problem.

to: jakobdam

Thank you for your big idea. This new Album (for Smartphone Version 3.00 (Build 17745) from High Tech Computer Corp.) is really better.

Guest Cybertronic

Milan Svec, I meant as in replacing the current Album files on the ROM which I doubt you can ;) and replacing the shortcut as the default shortcut in WM5 is different to other .LNK's that you create yourself :P

Guest Milan Svec

Cybertronic, I didn't replace the current Album. I only coppied the .zip from omar302 to the \Windows in my Qtek 8310 a unzipped it there. The Album.exe was running immediately (in English).

Then I made a new Album.lnk (the old name is Pictures & Videos.lnk) via ActiveSync Explorer, moved it to the Start Menu and ... it's working!

This Album is very quick and more comfortable than the old one.

Guest leethacker
Thank you for your big idea. This new Album (for Smartphone Version 3.00 (Build 17745) from High Tech Computer Corp.) is really better.

If anyone finds another newer version let us know. Even this version is dated back to 2004 - so i'm thinking there might be something newer. Maybe shipped with the HTC Hurricane aka SPV C550 ... ;)

Edited by leethacker

Guest MetalMessiah78

This is awesome. Thank you so much!!

Something I noticed however is that you can't send pictures from the album, whether by Bluetooth or Multimedia. Is there a way to activate this? Thank you.

Guest kevinsephiroth
how do you find out which version you own? ive just extracted the files from my C550 and i think its newer than the one posted.

well post theses files and i'll tell you your number version lol.

it is in menu (right softkey i think) then options, then 'about' or so.

Guest jakobdam
Something I noticed however is that you can't send pictures from the album, whether by Bluetooth or Multimedia. Is there a way to activate this? Thank you.

Not that I know of - I usually choose SmartExplorer for this purpose, so I don't really miss the oppertunity - it's pretty easy to tab between applications if you have the Task Manager on a shortcut key like I do. ;)

Guest mini_man

Right ok looked it up.

Version 3.00 (Build 20017) High Tech Computer Corp.

Ok so I have a later version ;)

I would upload it but I think its against forums rules due to copyrightness :P amazing word.

And im not too sure the one posted above is aloud either, and if i uploaded my copy I would likely to be *ahem* fired and banned from modaco *oops* as ive had warnings about copyright infringing projects ive started.

Guest leethacker
I would upload it but I think its against forums rules due to copyrightness :P amazing word.

And im not too sure the one posted above is aloud either, and if i uploaded my copy I would likely to be *ahem* fired and banned from modaco *oops* as ive had warnings about copyright infringing projects ive started.

Hmmmmm ... but its not produced or sold anymore ... but I have no idea about legality though. ;)

Guest mini_man

What Ive been told in the past is that

"Sharing files from a device that arent freely officialy availible isnt aloud" which basically means they are copyrighed.

Guest BlueCamelGuy
What Ive been told in the past is that

"Sharing files from a device that arent freely officialy availible isnt aloud" which basically means they are copyrighed.

I have a Cingular 2125 and this works PERFECTLY! What a nice addition to the software. I had only recently realized that animated gifs weren't supported, which made my awsome WM5 phone look pretty stupid compared to a lot of cheapie phones. If there are any ways a contacting me with any "info" as to the newer version, please email me: [email protected]. Thanx for the innovation!! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest sparky99
jakobdam, thanks for the will. omar302, thanks for the way :)

WOW WOW WOW. Window Mobile 5 really took a step back in this department.

Also, I didn't need to zip anything up. I copied the files over un-zipped with no problem.

Edited by sparky99