Disable MSFP's Mandatory Device Lock?

Guest jminiman

Guest jminiman

When I installed the MSFP/AKU2 upgrade on my SP5 over the weekend then tried to connect to my Exchange server for the first time, it enforced a mandatory security policy of having my device automatically lock out every hour (and must be unlocked with a PIN at the very least). I find this terribly annoying! When I go into the security control panel, I cannot uncheck "Prompt if device unused for".

Is there a hack to remove this security restriction?

Guest jimbouk
When I installed the MSFP/AKU2 upgrade on my SP5 over the weekend then tried to connect to my Exchange server for the first time, it enforced a mandatory security policy of having my device automatically lock out every hour (and must be unlocked with a PIN at the very least). I find this terribly annoying! When I go into the security control panel, I cannot uncheck "Prompt if device unused for".

Is there a hack to remove this security restriction?

I think you will have to grovel to your IT people...

Guest jimbouk
Even when I delete my Exchange profile, I still cannot disable the PIN Lock.

Thats by design. Whilst most users find the AKU2 (MSFP) rom's really good (especially if you sync with a hosted exchange server), one the of the major updates that the rom update brings is increased corporate security. Your IT people have set mobile access to server to the highest security settings and that includes the mandatory lock that can only be reset by them changing your account settings. They may not be able/willing to change only yours as they may have set a policy for all mobile devices. The update also gives them the option to wipe your device's memory if it gets lost/stolen.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest N!co
I have the same problem. Driving me nuts. Thinking of a hard reset if nobody can answer.

F#ck me! After 2 months of using pushemail for work they suddenly introduced this PIN! And even after deleting the exchange server it still bugging me!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest steveh2
F#ck me! After 2 months of using pushemail for work they suddenly introduced this PIN! And even after deleting the exchange server it still bugging me!! ;)

It's damn annoying, I've put myself in as an excluded user, but the definition of "after 0 minutes" has changed, it used to be that it never locked unless I pressed the power off, which is exactly what I wanted, now it locks after about 30 seconds in that mode, but at least I can change it to an hour if I'm driving so the GPS software doesn't get locked out.

I'll see if I can use one of our support tickets to log a call with Microsoft about this unless anybody has done it?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Typhool
It is just a setting in the Active Directory server, any administrator can easily turn it off, if you ask them to.

If your policy is set to lock after an hour that is not so bad. Many companies lock at 20 or even 10 minutes. There is an option to add a user to an exception list so the policy is not applied but that would probably require going through a security exeption process.

The policy is not evil as it does help protect the device if it is lost or stolen but it is pain in the *ss when you are using GPS navigation and I would like to see the OS modified so that if GPS is active the device does not lock. On the HP iPaq the GPS can only be activated via the GPS enabled SW (Camera, TomTom etc) and GPS is a drain on the batery so people would probably not leave it on just to defeat the policy so I think that is a reasonable compromise.

• 1 year later...