So who's got a HTC 100/ 'startrek' /smartflip /qtek 8500 so far?

Guest fluffcat1

Guest fluffcat1

Anybody here got one yet? The Dopod s300 varient in black is on general release in Asia, expansys have qtek 8500 availability 2nd week in may, just wondering if anyone here has a production unit yet?... The imate varient I had a play with at the Mobile oppertunities event seemed a bit plasticky ;)

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest machiavell1
You won't be any better off with Expansys. That pre-order date has moved from 10th May to 16th incrementally and they basically don't have a clue when they will have it. They are just taking pre-orders and trying to make it look like they have a date to aim for.

Strange - I pre-ordered one of these waaay back when the date was 10th May. Although your link works, when I search for qtek 8500 or click on my product link from my order, it can't find the product, just the accessories.

Not entirely encouraging...

Guest fluffcat1
You won't be any better off with Expansys. That pre-order date has moved from 10th May to 16th incrementally and they basically don't have a clue when they will have it. They are just taking pre-orders and trying to make it look like they have a date to aim for.

Yes but at least I can pop around MSP and pick one up from eXpansys. And I do get a discount so it isn't so bad in terms of price difference. Don't fancy going daaaahn lahndahn way just for a phone from the other lot even if they do claim they'll save me

Guest machiavell1
eXpansys have changed it to Availability: Due Wednesday 17th May. Hope this doesn't go the way of their tornado units at launch ;)

Richard

That's exactly what they have been doing the last few weeks - changing the date each day by one day or occasionally removing the product from their screens... Started on 10th May, and now 17th May. The guy I spoke to said that they didn't know when it was due, and then I received an email telling me it was due in stock 10th May even though their website said 15th...

They're just guessing to build up pre-orders. If I am not mistaken eXpansys will be one of the last to actually get stock, as usual...

Guest fluffcat1
They're just guessing to build up pre-orders. If I am not mistaken eXpansys will be one of the last to actually get stock, as usual...

No, to be fair, they are usually first with stuff in this country, just the ETA is never accurate and they get limited stocks that diss-appear quickly to their pre-sales. New release products are very rarely in free-stock there. They're not just guessing the dates either, they do get dates from suppliers that do then slip and in some cases come forward but in terms of cutting edge technology unless you take the risk and import it yourself they're the only game in town - until the product hits the mainstream stores. Usually at a much cheaper price too.

Richard

Edited by fluffcat1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest machiavell1
damn, was looking forward to some feedback from actual users....

wish I could say I was surprised..

Hopefully getting mine in a few days (prob early in the week rather than before weekend). I'll give feedback if I get some time from work.

Guest spacerace
Hopefully getting mine in a few days (prob early in the week rather than before weekend). I'll give feedback if I get some time from work.

cool - where did you get yours from (if it was an order) ?

Guest machiavell1
cool - where did you get yours from (if it was an order) ?

Wasn't an order, I am afraid (I was down for Expansys also). Just found out it is arriving Wednesday, which is a bit of a pain, but oh well...

Guest peekie

If you like the pink one then wait for t-mobile as they are supposed to be stocking them sometime in june in holland that is ;)

Guest fluffcat1
If you like the pink one then wait for t-mobile as they are supposed to be stocking them sometime in june in holland that is ;)

Vodafone Germany will be carrying the pink ( more of a red on my monitor ) Qtek version and Orange NL with also have it though no clues to the colour.

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3048

Edit - according to HTC's website there is also a silver version - hopefully orange will go for that one.

http://www.htc.com.tw/news/index.html

For what I assume to be copyright / trademark resons it's the HTC STRTrk now although the official pictures are still labelled 'startrek'.

"08 May 2006, London: HTC, the global leader in Microsoft

post-145647-1147980967_thumb.jpg

Edited by fluffcat1

Guest sporkguy

In that attached image it appears they've photoshopped on the homescreen from a PPC Touchscreen device - the start menu is up top!

Keypad looks a lot better, but still not a fan of those flat v3-style jobbies.

Guest xda_gangsta
Anybody here got one yet? The Dopod s300 varient in black is on general release in Asia, expansys have qtek 8500 availability 2nd week in may, just wondering if anyone here has a production unit yet?... The imate varient I had a play with at the Mobile oppertunities event seemed a bit plasticky :)

Richard

I'm looking to change my spv c500 but theres just not a big enough incentive yet! plus thats so much money for a marginal gain.... if any.

Guest machiavell1
I'm looking to change my spv c500 but theres just not a big enough incentive yet! plus thats so much money for a marginal gain.... if any.

Got mine yesterday. It is actually very nice.

The circles have gone and it supports push email (tried it with mail2web's free but good offering).

Screen seems a tad small but otherwise very good.

Guest machiavell1

Ok. The phone has been pretty great so far. Lovely design, combined with WM5 and newly discovered push email.

So far so good. I have one problem though - I simply cannot get it to work with MMS for O2 contract. I can get internet, and push mail, but no MMS (no send, no receive). I have searched every thread, many forums, and tried installing the imate 1.4 O2 cab file, and even tried putting the settings in manually but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated. It is a Qtek branded 8500 running wm5. Any other cab files or definitive settings would be great.

Ok. The phone has been pretty great so far. Lovely design, combined with WM5 and newly discovered push email.

So far so good. I have one problem though - I simply cannot get it to work with MMS for O2 contract. I can get internet, and push mail, but no MMS (no send, no receive). I have searched every thread, many forums, and tried installing the imate 1.4 O2 cab file, and even tried putting the settings in manually but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated. It is a Qtek branded 8500 running wm5. Any other cab files or definitive settings would be great.

Couple of questions if you dont mind? (the bain of being one of the 1st to get the handset :) )

Is it big? I know its seriously slim when open but when closed does it feel big in the hand? Saw pic of it beside a prophet and it didn't exactly look tiny beside it.

How easy is the keypad to use? Do you find you press but it doesn't register the press?

and last but not least, does it look like the screen comes into contact with the keypad at all when closed? They both look like they could from the pics, have seen this happen on laptops before and it lead to markings on the screen.

Thanks and I hope your enjoying the phone you lucky ..........

atb

gR

RE: topic title.. its the 'HTC Star100' not 'HTC 100' :)

I know, the pic I saw had the prophet, the tornado and the startrek (qtek 8500) side by side and at least in the width dept. it wasn't alot narrower than the prophet and was wider that the tornado.

gR

Guest machiavell1
Couple of questions if you dont mind? (the bain of being one of the 1st to get the handset :) )

Is it big? I know its seriously slim when open but when closed does it feel big in the hand? Saw pic of it beside a prophet and it didn't exactly look tiny beside it.

How easy is the keypad to use? Do you find you press but it doesn't register the press?

and last but not least, does it look like the screen comes into contact with the keypad at all when closed? They both look like they could from the pics, have seen this happen on laptops before and it lead to markings on the screen.

Thanks and I hope your enjoying the phone you lucky ..........

atb

gR

Happy to answer -

1. It's about as big as a Motorola Razr. Narrower but also a bit longer when opened. Doesn't feel big at all although initially feels a bit long. You get used to it very quickly (I did with Razr also). Certainly does not feel or look big in the hand.

2. Keypad is easy. Again, a bit like a Razr's to use. Took a little time to get used to it as the keys aren't as separated as the Razr's (feels more like 1 sheet if you like) but again got used to it very quickly. Fine to type with and always registers the press without fail.

3. Screen has 2 little plugs which raise it slightly although I think there will be small marks on the screen if your keys aren't clean. Haven't had or noticed marks yet but I used to have them with my Razr and fully expect them in due course on this one.

Been all in all lovely to use except for the blasted MMS I can't get working.

Guest shadieb

machiavell1,

If you don't mind me askiing, where did you actually get one from so soon?

I would love to get hold of one of these and the dates at Expansys keeps changing. not giving me any confidence to put a pre-order in. I phone Direct Mobile Accessories place who said it wasn't in stock and no idea when it will be :)

Any suggestions on where to source one now?

Many thanks for the help.