Changing you prophet case!

Guest turbominor

Guest turbominor

Scraped the front of my 4 day old prophet and it was realy bugging me, Fluffcat1 (richard) came up trumps with a complete new chassis!

*****Please remember that this will void your warranty and you must accept liability for any damage you cause*****

To change the facia you need a t6 screw driver, a small philips, and a pair of tweasers + the important case opening tool/credit card/plectrum etc

1) Remove the stylus, battery cover , battery ,sim and antenna gromet

Gently prise up the antenna cover at the corners where it would meet the battery cover with a small flat blade( it will fold up like a car bonnet!)

post-115082-1146081657_thumb.jpg

2) Remove the 2 screws holding the antenna in and carefully fold it up in (from top of the phone towards the battery end , the end nearest the battery is very tight but will come out if you are carefull

post-115082-1146081876_thumb.jpg

3) Remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the phone (usb end) and then carefully prise the phone open with you plastic case opening tool or suitable alt.. starting half way down the side with the power button and around the top and down other side untill the case opens.. NOW CAREFULLY LIFT THE BACK COVER AWAY FROM THE FRONT AND NOTE THE SHORT SPEAKER CABLE, USE YOU TWEASERS TO CAREFULLY DISCONNECT IT

post-115082-1146082032_thumb.jpg

4) Unscrew the motherboard and switch plate , disconnect the small ribon cable to the switches

post-115082-1146082212_thumb.jpg

fold the motherboard over (to expose the screen at 90deg to the screen cable) and remove the switchboard and buttons

5) The screen is just clipped and folds out from the bottom of the phone to the top

post-115082-1146082426_thumb.jpg

6) Move the vibra motor, buttons and speaker (keep the speaker in the same positon ie dont turn it! so the connectons line up) in to the new facia

post-115082-1146082533_thumb.jpg

7) carefully rebuild in the reverse order and test.

Just go slowly and make sure you ground your self to get the static out of you before you start and dont force anything..

and it works 100% then I put the imate rom on

post-115082-1146082651_thumb.jpg

If an admin could make this a sticky it would help other people in the future

Iain

Edited by turbominor

Guest turbominor
Nice work Iain (although I hope I don't have to use your guide!)

Any problem with dust under the screen?

gerryR

thanks gerry, no the screen is sealed with copper and silver foil so I would not expect dust to get in to it. and there is no screen cover ( like the spv c500 and sp3/5 have ) to get dust under..

It was much harder than stripping a laptop!

Guest fluffcat1
It was much harder than stripping a laptop!

Horses for courses methinks...I can do a HTC PPC / smartphone in about 5 minutes ( yes I've done it against the clock, how sad am I ;) ?) yet laptops always take me hours and I always have a pile of 'spare / optional' bits afterwards....

Nice guide anyway. :P

Richard

• 1 year later...
Guest wh_hsn

Hi Iain,

Thanks a lot for this tutorial, it helped me fix my phone.

I had the earphone problem & I fixed it but something wrong happened while using the hot air iron - Now I've no USB connectivity!! :rolleyes:

I want to check a component placement.

there is a place for a diode near the USB socket on the PCB - there's no diode on my phone only a silk screen label indicating that a diode should be there - and I think that the hot air iron blow the diode away.

Would anyone please check his phone - post a photo of the PCB on both sides of the USB connection or send a schematic or a circuit diagram for the prophet.

Unfortunatly I don't have a digital camera other than the one on the phone :P

Thanks for yor help

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=21638

WH_HSN

USB.bmp

Edited by wh_hsn

• 3 weeks later...
Guest payneb12

Good instructions Iian, I used it to change my M600 case - although it was abit hairy at times! :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work.

Bobbie.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jon.evans
Scraped the front of my 4 day old prophet and it was realy bugging me, Fluffcat1 (richard) came up trumps with a complete new chassis!

*****Please remember that this will void your warranty and you must accept liability for any damage you cause*****

To change the facia you need a t6 screw driver, a small philips, and a pair of tweasers + the important case opening tool/credit card/plectrum etc

1) Remove the stylus, battery cover , battery ,sim and antenna gromet

Gently prise up the antenna cover at the corners where it would meet the battery cover with a small flat blade( it will fold up like a car bonnet!)

post-115082-1146081657_thumb.jpg

2) Remove the 2 screws holding the antenna in and carefully fold it up in (from top of the phone towards the battery end , the end nearest the battery is very tight but will come out if you are carefull

post-115082-1146081876_thumb.jpg

3) Remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the phone (usb end) and then carefully prise the phone open with you plastic case opening tool or suitable alt.. starting half way down the side with the power button and around the top and down other side untill the case opens.. NOW CAREFULLY LIFT THE BACK COVER AWAY FROM THE FRONT AND NOTE THE SHORT SPEAKER CABLE, USE YOU TWEASERS TO CAREFULLY DISCONNECT IT

post-115082-1146082032_thumb.jpg

4) Unscrew the motherboard and switch plate , disconnect the small ribon cable to the switches

post-115082-1146082212_thumb.jpg

fold the motherboard over (to expose the screen at 90deg to the screen cable) and remove the switchboard and buttons

5) The screen is just clipped and folds out from the bottom of the phone to the top

post-115082-1146082426_thumb.jpg

6) Move the vibra motor, buttons and speaker (keep the speaker in the same positon ie dont turn it! so the connectons line up) in to the new facia

post-115082-1146082533_thumb.jpg

7) carefully rebuild in the reverse order and test.

Just go slowly and make sure you ground your self to get the static out of you before you start and dont force anything..

and it works 100% then I put the imate rom on

post-115082-1146082651_thumb.jpg

If an admin could make this a sticky it would help other people in the future

Iain

Guest jon.evans

Thanks for the tutorial. I just bought an SPV M600 on ebay with a battered case and used your guide to change it. It was perhaps one of the scariest hours of mylife wondering if my new purchase was going to work afterwards and I'm happy to say that it looks like it does.

Once again, thanks.

Jon.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest reopru

Thanks for the tutorial mate! That may be the reason why my beloved device still works after being dumped in the bath tub. I took it apart, left it for a few hours in front of a ventilator and looki looki - good as new!

Cheers!

Edited by reopru

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Seagull81

Can anyone help me out with this query please ?

I have an SPV M600 and am having problems getting Vista's mobile device centre to connect, it used to work but now it doesn't want to play. I think it might be something to do with the usb port on my pda, the pins were a little bent but I think I've aligned them now.

My question is, should the usb port on my pda look as it does in the photo below, or should there be a black plastic bit within the port ?

Thanks.

pda002.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Underground Demand

Yes mate, you're missing something. Theres a plastic thing around the pins, check this photo, it's the one on the top

post-330852-1197501314_thumb.png

Edited by Underground Demand

Guest truongazn

Hi,

Does anyone have this set of instructions on a video on youtube? Or do you even have a video on any other site? I want to do this to my own phone as i was quoted $40 to get the case replaced. So if you have a video of this please let me know, so i can see exactly which ribbons and cables to disconnect.

CHeers

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Semseddin

Thanks for the guide,

Is there any trick that i should know about the keypad / keypad board placing ? Because after the disassembly and reassembly, some of the keys at my prophet doesn't function.

Right & Up arrow, D-Pad center just doesn't work <_<

Regards.

• 1 year later...
Guest Therion69

Thanks Iain, your guide got me thhrough the process of repairing a cracked touchscreen! Though i must say, getting the phone apart and putting it back together was very easy with your guide indeed. The hard parts were:

1) removing the old cracked touchscreen bits and pieces from the LCD module (it was glued on!), without scratching the LCD itself.

2) getting the new touchscreen flatcable connected to the LCD unit, as this is done entirely using a piece of sticky tape and some sticky copper-foil.

But i have to say, once i was finished an found the phone back in perfect working order again i was quite happy with the result.

I am now the prowd owner of 3 working Qtek S200 phones... ;-) well... my first one is actually beginning to loose it altogether and i'm afraid that one is irrepairable.. when the screen is switched on it makes a buzzing noise wich is quite irritating when speaking to someone! But what the heck, i've got 2 nice replacements when the first one dies ;-)

PS: One more thing to remove before opening the phone: The SD card or SD card placeholder!