T-Mobile to turn on HSDPA service on 1st August

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Guest MARKUKCOUK
T-Mobile UK's 'super 3G' high-speed download service will go live on 1 August, the carrier said today. And it pledged to triple the network's performance next year ahead of hitting a whopping 20Mbps by 2011.

Initially, HSPDA technology will provide download speeds of up to 1.8Mbps, though T-Mobile admitted real-world performance is more likely to be around 1Mbps - still rather faster than regular 3G download speeds. The theoretical maximum will rise to 3.6Mbps in 2007, the carrier said, then to 7.2Mbps and 10Mbps in 2008/2009.

Click here for details.

Blatant Rumour Time: Vario II to launch with service? :)

An excerpt from the Wikipedia entry on HSDPA (full text here)...

High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) is a new mobile telephony protocol and is sometimes referred to as a 3.5G (or "3

Guest jm012a9749
Ah, it's news like this that makes me wish I lived in the UK! ;)

... still plugging along with EDGE...

Your complaining about edge? i've still only got drip drip gprs :) will definately be getting a vario ii though :)

so its 7.50 WnW without hsdpa but 17 with and at an introductory price? :S confusing!

phil

Ah, it's news like this that makes me wish I lived in the UK! :)

... still plugging along with EDGE...

can I hold out for a couple more months... that is the question!

Though Orange will match the flext tarrifs they don't know what to do about the data!...

if only there were some solid dates for the handsets too... that would swing my decision... really could do with a better voice tarrif.

heres hoping.

Guest Syphon Filter

Ok all well and good. Now get the bloody hermes out!!

And just to clear one thing up.

The

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest sporkguy
Your complaining about edge? i've still only got drip drip gprs :) will definately be getting a vario ii though :)

so its 7.50 WnW without hsdpa but 17 with and at an introductory price? :S confusing!

phil

Come and see me in the Bullring ;)

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

HSDPA is going to rock, it'll be interesting to see how well it performs in real life conditions!

As for the rumour mill, i'd love to see the Vario II launch accompanying the TMob HSDPA launch :)

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Come and see me in the Bullring :)

Could you not just tell us.

I had this back from tmobile...

Hello Mark

Thanks for your email regarding our Web & Walk.

The first point is that there are two separate plans :

Flext 35 + Web & Walk

Guest Syphon Filter

I see...still a little confused to be honest. I dont want a datacard. I would just like a reasonable speed on the Vario II when I get it. The issue is, it sounds like they are going to make it all nice and easy for new users, as usual. But I am already on a T-Mobile contract which is only a few months old at most.

Flext 35 + WnW (with 25% off) and I have a Vario. Now if I buy an offline device (say the HTC TyTN). I would obviously want to use that on my T-Mobile contract to allow me access to 3G at the very least. Surely they cant tell me:

"No you cant change your tariff to allow you access to our shiney new services" can they?

I would hope that the consumer tariff does allow HSDPA access. If not then at the very least I would expect them to adjust my tariff/contract so that I then have Flext 35 + WnW (with access to HSDPA) and still allow me to keep the 25% off for life. But I highly doubt it for some reason!

Could do with some real clarification from T-Mobile on this. I might give them a call later and see what they say. Will keep you informed if I find out anything interesting.

Guest nevawlkalone
Could do with some real clarification from T-Mobile on this. I might give them a call later and see what they say. Will keep you informed if I find out anything interesting.

good luck with that lol...they dont seem to know much about their own tarrifs anyways. Hope it goes well as it baffles me to...

See thread

Guest Dr Who
I see...still a little confused to be honest. I dont want a datacard. I would just like a reasonable speed on the Vario II when I get it. The issue is, it sounds like they are going to make it all nice and easy for new users, as usual. But I am already on a T-Mobile contract which is only a few months old at most.

Flext 35 + WnW (with 25% off) and I have a Vario. Now if I buy an offline device (say the HTC TyTN). I would obviously want to use that on my T-Mobile contract to allow me access to 3G at the very least. Surely they cant tell me:

"No you cant change your tariff to allow you access to our shiney new services" can they?

I would hope that the consumer tariff does allow HSDPA access. If not then at the very least I would expect them to adjust my tariff/contract so that I then have Flext 35 + WnW (with access to HSDPA) and still allow me to keep the 25% off for life. But I highly doubt it for some reason!

You are on the

Guest sporkguy
Could you not just tell us.

I had this back from tmobile...

Confused. and although Bullring is supercool... I'm a bit far away :)

What I meant was, I don't work there yet - but come and see me in August and I can sort it out.

Guest Dr Who
See, i'm not so sure. Because the WnW is part of my contract/tariff as i get 25% off that too. Just about to call T, will post with what they have to say about it.

I see your problem. Hopefully the 25% off the WnW was applied because you took it out at the same time and therefore you can move that, losing the 25% discount off that, but keep 25% on the rest.

Guest Syphon Filter
I see your problem. Hopefully the 25% off the WnW was applied because you took it out at the same time and therefore you can move that, losing the 25% discount off that, but keep 25% on the rest.

I was thinking more like:

Change the WnW (assuming it doesnt include HSDPA use) to one that does AND keep the 25% off both the Flext and the new HSDPA :)

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest shenson
I was thinking more like:

Change the WnW (assuming it doesnt include HSDPA use) to one that does AND keep the 25% off both the Flext and the new HSDPA :)

Be nice if they could but in my case when I added WnW Pro bundle to SIM only they added WnW Pro immediately and cancelled WnW consumer on the next billing date. So the two ran concurrently for a week or so.

Just saw this over at PPCW.net... Arne spoke with Ron Langton, data marketing manager for T, who informed him of the following:

"As for HSDPA handsets, Langton said they will be available in "late Q3 or early Q4," and while he declined to go into details as to the handsets, he did mention that an HSDPA version of HTC's Windows Mobile 5.0-based PDA phones, which T-Mobile calls the MDA range, is planned by the Taiwanese ODM."

Full article here

implies that there may well be a very long wait for those of us holding out for a Hemes to show up before we make the jump to T....

And I so want to leave O....

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.