QTEK 8500 Missing Calls

Guest CTStork

Guest CTStork

-- Qtek 8500 missing phone calls --

I figured I'd start a whole thread to help track the issue most users are having with this device.

Users have reported that their phone misses phone calls and voice mails pile up without notification. After a power cycle, the phone works again, and voice mail indication occurs.

I have not heard of any fixes for this issue yet. I have emailed HTC and am awaiting response.

If anyone hears anything, let's post it here (like a ROM/Radio upgrade) so that we can all have access.

Links to rissue reported at other forums:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=950133

http://www.mobileplanet.com/forumthread.as...91&thread=1

-Carl

Edited by CTStork

Guest Fredde87

I actually had that problem just 5 sec before I read your post. Good to know I am not the only one. Hopefully they will release a new rom soon... I have found several bugs already.

Guest markjo

I also found that just by opening the phone every 30mins or so eliminated the problem. I read another user got around the problem by polling his POP3 account every 30mins. Not a fix, but a workaround until HTC figures something out.

my 2 cents

Guest Pondrew

Sounds like HTC's power saving attempts have gone wrong again... like when they made the SPV E200 (HTC Voyager Smartphone) power off the SD card slot after a while causing difficulty with some applications and the occasional non recognition of the SD card...

Guest markjo

So is that something that could be fixed with a ROM update or is it tied to HW and thus rendering the phone fairly useless? (I'm guessing its the former).

Guest nickcornaglia

I have the same problem with mine and have read the linked threads (just a buch of people bitching about the problem with no resolution).

I poll mail every 15 minutes with no help toward the problem at all. Still missing calls...and vmails dont show up until I use the phone again.

THIS MAKES ME VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERYVERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY

ANGRY!!! :) ;) :D :(

Guest w4rmk

I am having the exact same problem with my 8500. Sometimes I get a call and sometimes I don't. My son got out of school early and was trying to call me to come and pick him up and my POS phone would not ring! Last weekend my phone went 2 days before it said I had voicemail that had piled up over the weekend. This is unacceptable and makes the phone useless!

Guest cerij

I believe it will allow you to load a ROM intended for a different retailer, e.g. you could flash your Qtek device with a Dopod ROM which may well solve the missed calls problem.

Guest nickcornaglia

Thanks DarkJedi at HF for the Reg Files.

Here are the biggest differences I could find between the two pertaining to suspend or battery:

DOPOD

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\Active\06]

"Hnd"=dword:00038C80

"Name"="BAT1:"

"Key"="Drivers\\BuiltIn\\Battery"

"BusParent"=dword:00032320

"InterfaceType"=dword:00000000

"BusName"="BuiltInPhase1_0_17_0"

QTEK

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\Active\06]

"Hnd"=dword:00038C90 <--90 instead of 80

"Name"="BAT1:"

"Key"="Drivers\BuiltIn\Battery" <--- Single Slashes instead of double

"BusParent"=dword:00032330 <---30 instead of 20

"InterfaceType"=dword:00000000

"BusName"="BuiltInPhase1_0_16_0" <----16 instead of 17

You can change the data...but it doesnt survive a soft reset.

Not sure what all of this is exactly...but it seems like the Dopod has a Battery Driver upgrade. I fixed the single slashes to double slashes just to see if it does anything, but I'm not holding my breath. Looks like waiting for the CID unlocker and switching ROMs or waiting for the QTEK upgrade are the only two answers. Nothing that a Reg Tweak is going to fix....

...unless someone knows how to extract that driver from the phone, and install it to the QTEK where it will survive a reboot!

I am in the UK using O2 and have not noticed the problem yet although to be fair I have not looked particularly hard for it!

Do all 8500s have this problem? I would prefer not to have flash the rom as I would lose all of the settings!

The only odd thing I noticed the other day was the phone looking for a network in an area with full coverage.

Guest leethacker

Thats what HTC sent me today via mail ...

"We are indeed aware of the issue, and it is mainly to do with compatibility with the 850/1900 MHz bands in North America, but you should not experience this issue anywhere else.

There may be an update available at some point in the future which addresses this, but first will be a dedicated North American version of the 8500, which will solve the problem for our North American customers.

Any update would take the form of a ROM update which would completely wipe the device."

Guest CTStork

I am happy to report that I have CID unlocked my phone using the service from IMEI-Check and have been functioning perfectly for 2 days using the iMate SmartFlip ROM.

Instructions here:

Application unlock your phone using the HTC signed Registry Editor. (RegeditSTG - Google it) Copy this to your phone directly and run it on the phone. Change the key values noted below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 = 2 -->Change the value data from 2 to 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001005 = 16 --> Change the value data from 16 to 40

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001017 = 128 --> Change the value data from 128 to 144

CID (Carrier ID) unlock your phone. If you bought the Qtek like me, your phone will only accept Qtek ROMs. By purchasing the CID unlock code from http://www.imei-check.co.uk/ I unlocked my phone in about a minute, which allows me to install any ROM (Qtek, DoPod, iMate, etc)

Download and run the imate SmartFlip ROM from ftp://ftp.clubimate.com i-mate_Smartflip_WWE_1.2.301.2_ship.zip (slow FTP site, took about 25 mins to DL)

Important to note that all your config/data will be erased from the phone so back that up. It will not touch anything on the storage card of course.

One thing to note is that the first time you CID unlock your phone it will throw the phone into bootloader mode. You

Edited by CTStork

Folks,

If anyone is interested lokkje over at Howard Forums seems to be on to something as a possible band-aid for this issue. A few people (including myself) are trying it, and the reports back so far are very positive. I've been running the workaround since this morning (about 6 hours now) and haven't missed a single call or text message.

If you are interested, it's at http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=962687

and all the props to lokkje for finding this!

Guest CTStork
Do you have to first application unlock before running the CID unlocker?

Yes, that was the first part of the instructions that I posted.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Doomstalk
Just curious, has anyone heard any updates from Zone-MR and co. about the progress of the free CID unlocking tool?

I second that. My Stay Connected trial is about to expire. ^^;

Guest Doomstalk
its been possible to cid unlock it a while at imei-check.co.uk

That costs $30. I abhor the concept of adding money to the effective cost of an already very expensive phone- especially for a stupid bug that shouldn't have made it to production in the first place.

Edited by Doomstalk