• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

Your opinion counts: Mobile Development Tutorial for beginners

76 posts in this topic

Posted

Your opinion counts! :)

I am pondering the idea of running a small tutorial showing absolute beginners how to get up and running developing applications for Windows Mobile devices.

The tutorial would start right back at downloading and installing the Visual Studio 2005 90 day trial, right through to a fully working (VB.net) application for Pocket PC / Smartphone. The tutorial would run on a step by step basis with a new step posted every couple of days.

The question is... who would be interested?

Please vote in the Poll on this topic (click here if viewing this on the News page), and i'm also open for ideas for simple but useful applications we could develop together ;)

P

Posted

I'd deff be up for them. There's only so far a-level IT can take you :)

Posted

:)

P

Posted

Oh YES!

I've found VB.net samples hard to come by, MS seem to do them all in C#

Posted

simple and 'easy' sms exporter and importer.

Posted

Do we get to submit requests?

PING responder for me - something that responds to incoming text messages with your current calendar entry

Posted

Why does it have to be VB out of interest? Surely C# is a better way of doing it?

I'd be interested for sure though....

Posted

how to do a today screen plugin in VS2005 (and not in C++) would be good - although this may be for the "next" course :)

Posted

well i'd definately like to learn a little VB

Posted

Perfect timing Paul, I definately would find it useful (he says as the IT guy walks in to install VS2005 :) ), seeing as I have to start using for work.

Posted

how would it wok, would u post them up here or would it be at a specific location...like the meet was at orange etc...

Posted

a new step posted every couple of days.

^ is for nevawlkalone :)

..And yes I'm definately interested ;) A few of my posts on here are "I'd love to be able to do all this developping stuff"

Posted

I would like that. You do a bit of basic at A-level computing. It would be good if I could run my apps on wm5 :)

Posted

wonderful idea. please dont care if many people dont respond. Its a great idea.

Posted

Make my own programs for my phone????

Hell yeah, Ill drink to that. :)

I could make that drinking program Ive been planning for ages.

Posted

wooo! :) count me in!

Phil

Posted

Woah, as of reply, 30 for yes and 0 for no! Of course, 2 for maybe...

That's really good to hear :) I used to dable in a bit of VB.NET back in high school (only a year and a bit ago...), and still remember most of what I learnt, but being able to program for the PPC/Smartphone running the Windows Mobile operating system would be awesome... Now I can finally download software and make my own cra-

I mean, MAKE my own software ... Heh, jokes guys!

Posted

I'd definitely be interested :)

Posted

VB is the spawn of the devil.

C# is the way to go....

:)

Posted

VB is the spawn of the devil.

C# is the way to go....

;)

There's always one... :)

P

Posted

Home screen plugins are definitely outside the scope of this, and, MS themselves recommend they are written in Native (C++) rather than managed (.net) code!

P

Posted

Maybe an application to automate some tweak of the weeks as opposed to regediting etc. would be a simple one to start off with.

Like you could have a change the right softkey on the homescreen application with some preset options built into the app, like "New SMS" and "MoDaCo" and also you could allow the user to browse to a file they want to open on each click of the right softkey if they don't like the presets, and maybe give an option to type in a web address too.

Would be useful for learning basic registry editing in VB, browsing the smartphone's file structure, and it would need a clean UI too...the right level of complexity for a beginner application methinks. Let me know what you think, James

Posted

I would love this :)

I know a little VB (VB6 not .net ;) ) from College, but never knew where to really start for mobile apps

Posted

Yeah, a tweaker's not a bad idea... it could read the tweaks in from an XML file, so then there would be a little bit of XML learning in there too.

Failing that, SMS backup / restore seems to be popular, and I quite like Will's idea of forwarding unread SMS by email!

P

Posted

Oh yes............

from scratch would most definitely be welcome.

building an app, maybe using a db (like sqllite ?), and creating a today plugin.