• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

Your opinion counts: Mobile Development Tutorial for beginners

76 posts in this topic

Posted

I voted yes. Great idea. Something I was always interested in but never knew where to begin. Imaging...50 versions of a "Hello World" app! :) And I bet someone lists it on Handango! ;)

Posted

Great! sounds like a fantastic idea, I cant wait to get started.

Posted

I'd def be interested! Having not done any programming since my college days it would be great to have a crack at creating something for Windows Mobile. I can see many Hard Resets in the coming months! :)

Posted

This is something I have always wanted to see, it would be great to have this on site for those like myself who do not have the time to learn programming and development.

Posted

Sounds great.

Posted (edited)

How about a programme that changes extra screens (ie. Startup / Shutdown/ Error / Start Menu Background) ? :)

Edited by w411y

Posted

Looks like this idea is a go-er then!

:)

P

Posted

Looks like this idea is a go-er then!

;)

P

Phew :) Getting excited now

Posted (edited)

Sounds like a great idea Paul, count me in

Edited by whitestar

Posted

Your opinion counts! :)

I am pondering the idea of running a small tutorial showing absolute beginners how to get up and running developing applications for Windows Mobile devices.

It is a good idea. A lot of people have been asking for it for a long time now. Last year I was going to offer some tutorials. I had planned out a dozen and completed a hand full but I was side tracked with work/school and eventually forgot about it... lol

Posted

Sounds great - what OS are you targetting? 5? 2003SE?

Posted

I would be, so i can try out software to link the home n office.

Posted

I would be up for this, would even consider contributing finanically for this :)

Posted

Surely MS have these already on their site? If they do then why bother reinventing the wheel - just link to them.

But if you do write them I'd be sure to read !!

Posted

definately interested! would love to write an app to better manage delivery reports....put a name to the number at least. maybe even look at the corresponding sent message...

maybe thats one for a little further up the learning curve...would definately be interested in getting started!

Posted

Paul

Definitely up for this. I've just been moved away from *nix and 3rd party apps into the web development team and mobile apps are on the list which means I get to play with all the new gadgets yeeee ha.

Ok, at some point I'd like an app to let me link to a server and then access other databases from there. And another server app which can link to the PPC/phone and wipe of all info if it ever get's stolen (like that ever happens :))

Like some others here, C# is what I'm being trained in but happy to use VB too

Cheers

Tricky

Posted

Last programming i did was spectrum basic so can I still play?

But seriously learning something new sounds like fun.

Posted

id be up to that paul, great idea.

peace

Posted

There's always one... :)

P

Make that three, Sir. VB is not up to scratch I feel.

Plus with php, perl etc all being pretty much based on C, it seems a bit pointless trying to convert web app developers (of whom there are many) to VB (which is $%^&).

My $0.02...

Posted

Make that three, Sir. VB is not up to scratch I feel.

You're welcome to express your opinion, but you really should justify it.

Remember, in .net all languages are created equal, and as I can code in VB.net, C#, PHP etc. etc. I think I'm in a good enough position to express my opinion (which I will justify).

VB.net is IMHO the best language for complete beginners, with it's 'english like' syntax, and very good readability.

P

Posted

Great idea Paul, count me in

Posted (edited)

VB.net is IMHO the best language for complete beginners, with it's 'english like' syntax, and very good readability.

I totally agree, to all the anti-VBers I can totally understand where you're coming from but considering this is a beginner tutorial I would say VB is the way to go - it's easier for people without programming experience to pick up and even easier for everyone who does have some experience whether used to C style languages or not. It is still imho still the easiest .net to use for simple applications and if people want to migrate to using C# or whatever after that's fine but I think VB would be better to get people into programming and using VS.net for the first time.

James

Edited by Jamma14

Posted

Okay 113 Yes's.

When do we start?

Posted

make that 114 :) I know a little coding in .NET so that would be my platform of choice, not bothered about the language but for the greatest accessibility I would suggest VB.NET...

Posted

I'm going to do the sensible thing and rustle up the app and the first few days of posts, then we'll get cracking.

It'll probably be the second week of August!

Still not 100% sure on what exactly the app will do!

:)

P