• Announcements

• PaulOBrien

Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such software Nintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance) CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission) ROMs must give full credit to the original author ISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • PaulOBrien

Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
PaulOBrien

Your opinion counts: Mobile Development Tutorial for beginners

76 posts in this topic

Still not 100% sure on what exactly the app will do!

:)

P

Skin extra screens ;)

Another app I'd like is to pause a video and then resume video-ing. Or an app that will string two or more videos together with some simple transition effects or something, like on the W810i

Here are some easy app ideas:

1) Tip Calculator

2) Battery/Signal Line (like the one from SPB PocketPlus at the top of the screen)

3) Simple Alarm App

4) Simple Stopwatch

5) Messaging menu add-in to erase all mails in a current folder or to empty the trash from anywhere

6) An app that will send data to an XML file that can be pushed to a webserver. (Mood, Manually entered location, any data)

7) An app that will show all open processes with the option to end them

Anything like these? Simplier? More Difficult?

Speaking of #6, it would be cool to create an app that interacts with Modaco directly. Data can be sent from the phone to Modaco where it is appended to your profile. Data could be shown under the avatar or within your signature.

My Mood. (Angry, Bitter, Disgruntled, Sad, Depressed, oh and I guess Happy too!)

My Current Location. (Home, Work, The Beach, Skiing, Mount Laurel, NJ, etc)

Or maybe some other way to directly interact with Modaco. Photo Gallery/Blog Entries, etc.

My point is, this may be a good opportunity to tie an interface that interacts from Modaco directly to the Smartphone. It is a Modaco training session...may as well make it work for Modaco.

All good suggestions Nick, could easily add a Mood: field like the Device: field, and have it updated from an app we write :)

1 feels quite appealing...

Of course, we can start with one app, and if people are liking the tutorials, just keep doing more ;)

P (/me is making work for himself methinks, lol!)

The Tip Convertor could work well, first a simple app that displays 10% of an inputted number, then add a drop down of countries with the percentages stored away, then maybe a currency convertor etc. etc.

Thoughts?

P

Come to think of it...anything that interacts with Modaco may not be the best idea security-wise for Modaco. You'd probably need to add DB log-in information to the app so the data could be added/changed. Unless you did this on the server side. If that's the case, we'd be adding more work on your side, then people wouldn't get the feel of writing the app from beginning to end as there would be a part they wouln't see. But that's would be PBP/MySQLDB anyway which is out of the scope of this anyway.

Also....10% ??!!

15-20% here unless you want a dirty look and spit in your food next time you visit! :)

If Tip Calculator....

A= Bill Amount:

B= Percentage of Tip:

C= Amount of Tip: (AxB)

D= Total Bill: (A+C)

E= Number of People:

F= Price Each: (D/E)

Come to think of it...anything that interacts with Modaco may not be the best idea security-wise for Modaco. You'd probably need to add DB log-in information to the app so the data could be added/changed. Unless you did this on the server side. If that's the case, we'd be adding more work on your side, then people wouldn't get the feel of writing the app from beginning to end as there would be a part they wouln't see. But that's would be PBP/MySQLDB anyway which is out of the scope of this anyway.

maybe you could give them the "server side" code without the DB info so they would see that part, and could use it on there own sites to see it working fully(not linking to modaco's DB)

Also....10% ??!!

15-20% here unless you want a dirty look and spit in your food next time you visit! :)

why pay any % for that, just go to McDonald's and they will throw all that in for free on every visit lol ;)

Surely MS have these already on their site? If they do then why bother reinventing the wheel - just link to them.

I received my July Windows Mobile News email today, and one of the items is:

Rory Does Windows Mobile Development

Rory Blyth, an MSDN Events Presenter, plans to give a series of screencasts on the subject of Windows Mobile Development. In his own words: "I've decided, humble as I am, to try and create the greatest series of screencasts in the entire universe on the subject of Windows Mobile development. I'll probably fail, but that's no big deal. It's just a goal. In this first screencast, I walk you through the creation of a very simple Windows Mobile application, while pointing out some things you Need To Know along the way. Future screencasts in this series will be deeper technical dives, but you gotta start somewhere, eh?

I am SURE that anything M$ do, Paul can do better!!

Edited by FragMeister

ive actually been answer most of the questions in the .NET development forum here on modaco on mobile development

so yeh im up for it, as well as having a couple of my articles being published on MSDN :)

Any updates?

Back from holiday next week, then all the cool stuff starts in earnest :)

P

Ah oops didn't realise you were away. Awaiting with bated breath :)

*cough*

Sorry just really eager :D

Hey Wally. The Bank Holiday in the UK started a little over 30 minutes ago. Paul said he would start in earnest after tomorrow (today?!) so relax. If you are really that desperate to get started, there's lots of free cool stuff (including video lessons), available on the Microsoft website. You can even download Visual Studio .NET Express for free.

Fill yer boots buddy

*cough*

Sorry just really eager :D

Sorry I didn't know what earnest was. Apologies :D

Sorry peeps, a super-super-super-top-secret-important MoDaCo related project is taking up virtually all my time atm... so this has slipped slightly down the pecking order.

It WILL happen tho, so sit tight! :D

P

Here's an idea for the project. How about a 'Profiles' app like the one on the MPX 200, but for PPC Phone Edition? That would be brilliant (and fully tweakable) :D

Sorry peeps, a super-super-super-top-secret-important MoDaCo related project is taking up virtually all my time atm... so this has slipped slightly down the pecking order.

It WILL happen tho, so sit tight! :D

P

Pu-lease! That would be fabulous!!

I have been searching for about week now for a simple vb tutorial start-to-finish (they all do seem to be in C#). I have so much crap installed on my computer (developer tools, sdk, emulators, etc.) and yet I seem to get to a step in the tutorial where I am missing some crucial download.

I'm up for anything, but the idea of deveping a homescreen sounds cool. I'd also like to involve SQL Server Mobile too for db apps.

Thank you,

Laura

Laura

Have a look here: Learn Visual Studio

There are hundreds of videos on this site and the lessons I've looked at have examples in both VB and C#. I am going to ask my boss to pay for me. At US $99 for a lifetime subscription, it's not going to break the bank.

Fill yer boots!

Pu-lease! That would be fabulous!!

I have been searching for about week now for a simple vb tutorial start-to-finish (they all do seem to be in C#). I have so much crap installed on my computer (developer tools, sdk, emulators, etc.) and yet I seem to get to a step in the tutorial where I am missing some crucial download.

I'm up for anything, but the idea of deveping a homescreen sounds cool. I'd also like to involve SQL Server Mobile too for db apps.

Thank you,

Laura

Am eagerly looking forward to this as a total programming ignoramus!

Would also love an idiots guide to providing a mobile version of a web site. Pretty pleeeese Paul!

I'm down for it.

An easy to do and usefull app to build would be a Tip calculator. Your out to dinner with a bunch of people, the bill comes, you need to split it with each person or each couple, and figure in the tip as well. Enter bill about, enter tip %, enter # of people (or couples) to split. Press calc button. Wallah! the $ amount is shown.

Our phones already have that function in the PPC calculator matey :rolleyes:

I'm down for it.

An easy to do and usefull app to build would be a Tip calculator. Your out to dinner with a bunch of people, the bill comes, you need to split it with each person or each couple, and figure in the tip as well. Enter bill about, enter tip %, enter # of people (or couples) to split. Press calc button. Wallah! the $ amount is shown.

Your opinion counts! ;)

I am pondering the idea of running a small tutorial showing absolute beginners how to get up and running developing applications for Windows Mobile devices.

The tutorial would start right back at downloading and installing the Visual Studio 2005 90 day trial, right through to a fully working (VB.net) application for Pocket PC / Smartphone. The tutorial would run on a step by step basis with a new step posted every couple of days.

The question is... who would be interested?

Please vote in the Poll on this topic (click here if viewing this on the News page), and i'm also open for ideas for simple but useful applications we could develop together :D

P

Hi Paul,

Just been looking back on my old posts and found this thread from last year. Is this WM Development tutorial still in the pipeline or is CamerAware now eating up all your time? Would still be interested in this should you have the time (as I'm sure everyone else who posted on the thread would be too). By the way, do you think the "Express" versions of VB and C++ from the MS website would be suitable for developing for WM?