TREO completely replaced by QTEK 8500

Guest lite blue

Guest lite blue

In one week I have been able to completely replace my treo with a phone the size of a razor:QTEK 8500 :(

I was a heavy treo user, using the treo for a phone, for work( as physician): I used epocrates as drug data-base and I kept track of hospital patients and surgery which I would code on the treo and e-mail( though pop3) account to my office manager for billing, and lastly I used audible to listen to books on tape.

I am happy to say that in a mere few days( and a 1gig transflash card) my QTEK has been able to surpass the treo: :D

I am running Tweaks2k2 on the phone: I have over 5,000k free

On the card I am running clearvue suite, Epocrates, Audible, PhatNotes, and TCPMP

PhatNotes allows me to keep track of patients and e-mail them to the office(as well a syncing with outlook) :P

In fact the QTEK 8500 surpasses the treo on its ability to read PDF on the fly( a constant treo problem), and I can listen to books on tape or music with audible,TCPMP, and wmp through my Motorola HT-820 bluetooth headset ;) ( A feat which requires third party software on the treo which usually caused my treo to sputter, freeze and require a reset)

I was sceptical moving to a smartphone, but I loved to razorish form factor and I think Palm has dropped to ball by coming out with consecutive phones( 600,650,700) with little to differentiate them.

IMHO the QTEK blows the treo away in form and function :)

Guest fluffcat1
In one week I have been able to completely replace my treo with a phone the size of a razor:QTEK 8500 ;)

Which Treo did you have previously?

In fact the QTEK 8500 surpasses the treo on its ability to read PDF on the fly( a constant treo problem),

I've had no issues using Adobe's reader, Dataviz's reader or Metaviewsoft's reader on a Treo 600. Which reader did you have trouble with? The 'constant problem' is more likely due to the app you were running than the device.

I was sceptical moving to a smartphone, but I loved to razorish form factor and I think Palm has dropped to ball by coming out with consecutive phones( 600,650,700) with little to differentiate them.

IMHO the QTEK blows the treo away in form and function :)

Horses for courses, as they say. You are comparing apples with oranges - a smartphone with a PDA. Some will need a full keyboard, some won't. Some need a big screen, some won't.

As for palm having 'little to differentiate' the 600, 650 and 700, well, er...... how about the 700 running windows mobile rather than Palm o.s? Between the 600 and 650 it is close but the differences are there - the 650 has a user replaceable battery, better camera, mirrored data backup, improved GSM radio stage etc etc etc....

I'm happy you like your 8500, but there are also reasons why a Treo is the better device in some situations, it doesn't 'blow it away' like you claim, and i doubt your view is objective.

There are also many bugs with the qtek 8500 still to be ironed out. For me, the media player doesn't work very well with my stereo bluetooth headphones. (My Treo 650 works with them fine. )Others have reported missed call issues and problems with the hinge.

No HTC device is perfect ( and that includes the Treo range which are made by HTC ) you just find the one that suits you best and put up with the faults it has.

Richard ( Treo 180 / 600 / 650, Qtek 8500 amongst others )

Guest lite blue

I had a 600, then 650. I have loved my palms including the origonal palm V, a sony, a treo 180 and so on. But I have been a bit disappointed in that the changes from the 600 to 650 and then 700p have been improvements, but... worth another $600+ for a removable battery( the build in bluetooth was nice). I could have shelled out the money to go from 650 to 700p, but I gotta say they should come out with a treo the size and form of the QTEK or Razor and that will be an upgrade :)

The QTEK isn't perfect and i have issues with the stereo blue tooth too( IS there a way to get sound out of both ears on my HT-820's????), but were you using SAG on your 650? It froze mine regularly, and I can't believe the 700p isn't A2DP compatible

I am just excited to have my old treo's functionality in a razor sized clamshell phone

Guest fluffcat1
I had a 600, then 650. I have loved my palms including the origonal palm V,

The 'Original' Palm 5 eh? No IIIc, III, Pro or USR Pilot then? There was a reason it was called number 5 - it isn't the original :D

But I have been a bit disappointed in that the changes from the 600 to 650 and then 700p have been improvements, but... worth another $600+ for a removable battery( the build in bluetooth was nice).

So any changes a manufacturer makes with new models shouldn't be improvements? :)

I could have shelled out the money to go from 650 to 700p, but I gotta say they should come out with a treo the size and form of the QTEK or Razor and that will be an upgrade ;)

A touchesensitive clamshell would be difficult to implement. Palm OS calls for a touchscreen.

I am just excited to have my old treo's functionality in a razor sized clamshell phone

But you don't though. No keyboard, no stylus, no touchscreen, no massive battery life, no compact O.S etc etc...but I'm glad you have the functionallity you need. Don't confuse this as being the same.

Richard

Guest lite blue

wow tough crowd, but in the interest of friendly conversation, i'll bite :D

1. I actually started with a casio zoomer( instead of an apple newton) remember they tried to recognize your handwriting :) then palm came out with the genius idea of Graffitti( stolen or not) and I had an original palm pilot. I went to upgrade to the palm III, and my first big choice: the palm III or the palm V which did the exact same thing, but the new form factor wow ;) I paid the $200 for the palm V

2. You say that having a clamshell design is not possible with the palm's os and touchscreen? I believe my treo 180 was basically a clamshell type design and what about the Kyocera 7135 smartphone ?

3. I have always loved palms ingenuity, i just would like to see a smaller, flip version of a treo. IMHO to pay $1200 to go from 600 to 650 to 700p? I would've like to see more substantial changes in form factor

Guest fluffcat1
2. You say that having a clamshell design is not possible with the palm's os and touchscreen? I believe my treo 180 was basically a clamshell type design and what about the Kyocera 7135 smartphone ?

Actually what I wrote was:

"A touchesensitive clamshell would be difficult to implement. Palm OS calls for a touchscreen."

The treo 180 is NOT a clamshell - I have one right here. There are no buttons in the passive flip cover just an earpiece, and no projecting shapes to press onto the touchpanel, unlike the buttons that mark the screen of the 8500 when the flip is closed.

The Kyocera 7135 was poorly designed and badly implemented - a collegue had to return his for service a total of 8 times in 1 year - for...

....touchpanel problems!

So where exactly did I say it 'wasn't possible'? That's right I DIDN'T. :)

Richard