M500 Automatically Hard Resetting itself

Guest TomID

Guest TomID

Afternoon everyone,

When I leave my M500 connected to my pc and then turn the computer off, it hard resets the device :( :)

Its happened a few times now (the device is 1 year old but its been happening for the past 6 months, on average once every month) I'm unsure if its an intermittant problem (ill backup my reconfigured device and try again later) but its most irritating as you can imagine. ;)

Only way to bring the m500 back to life is connect it up to the pc. Which starts charging it, which allows it to be turned on. When turned on it informs me that my backup battery is low. Power meter confirms that despite the main battery being more than 80% the NIMH backup is 0%. After 30 mins or so on the USB the backup battery is at 100% again. :D

Does anyone else have this problem? Do i have a faulty backup battery? (and can a user replace it?)

Or is my motherboard draining all the power out of my phone on shutdown?

Ideally i'd like a solution as If i buy a cradle I dont want to have to remember to take the phone out everytime i shutdown. :P

Guest The Doctor

sounds like you need a new backup battery to me..... the memory on your m500 is volatile so it will effectively hard reset itself if all power is disconnected, its possible that when you shut down your pc it cuts power from the usb and the main battery doesnt cut in quick enough to prevent you from losing all your data. your backup battery should prevent this but in your case its possible its faulty and so the pda cant draw any charge from it to keep your data on the volatile memory. replacing your backup battery should fix this as it will be able to provide charge to hold the data in the volatile memory.

hope this helps!

Phil

Edited by The Doctor

Guest danwatson1974

Is t more than a year old, or just under? The difference between having to pay for it yourself and maybe being able to get it fixed under warranty <_

Guest TomID

Typically the time i get round to even thinking about doing anything about it is over a year old to last week (currently getting harassed by calls to upgrade from all these 3 party lot but i want a vario II off Tmobile).

Can i fit a new backup battery myself and do you know where i can get one?