(Cingular) UMTS? + Additional Info

Guest fhyke

Guest fhyke

Has anyone been able to connect to the UTMS networking with their MTeoRs? I live in Detroit and it's actually not listed on the Cingular Broadband Connect list, but I've found numerous other articles about D-town being one of the first cities chosen for (back in the day) AT&T's UMTS network... (who knows if that ever was deployed...)

Thanks!

Other than that, I like the materials they used to make the phone with. I just got it about 2 hours ago and it's definitely speedier than the Tornado variants. The joystick is much higher grade than the predecessor, and HOPEFULLY, it all directions will continue to function throughout the lifetime of this phone. (My SP5 takes a lot of pressure to move right & left. My friend's 2125 doesn't move left. Another friend's right soft key doesn't work... Hopefully this phone will not be plagued with similar issues.)

Also included (no surprise) is the green theme that we've been seeing in new WM ads. It's cute and HTC has put their little logo in the corner.

That's about it for now. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I'll be learning a lot more about the phone in the up and coming days.

Guest iJITSU

There is a large thread on HOFO regarding this. The manual lists the phone as GSM 900/1800/1900 and UMTS 2100. Now, on HTC's website they list it as GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and Tri band UMTS, but having used one in Houston in a 3G area, I can tell you that not only could the phone not find Cingular's UMTS network, it couldn't even find their 850 GSM network. As best I could tell, the phone was pulling from a 1900 tower and showing the roaming icon leading me to believe that it was an old ATT tower. Check your box and manual. It states "quad band" but then lists GSM 900/1800/1900/UMTS 2100 as the "quad band." Very disappointing if this is all true.

Guest fhyke
Check your box and manual. It states "quad band" but then lists GSM 900/1800/1900/UMTS 2100 as the "quad band." Very disappointing if this is all true.

Wow, I didn't even bother looking at the manual or box. No wonder why I am still getting a much higher signal on my SP5 than the MTeoR. If I remember correctly, Tri-Band was listed as the original specs on Expansys/Mobile Planet. On the HTC product flyer page, it states "Tri-band UMTS/Quad-Band EDGE".

I wonder if they stuck the radio in and this pretty much pre-release ROM just doesn't fully support all bands yet? I think they really should've delayed the release of this phone with all of these issues...

Guest fhyke

You know what -

My phone is only displaying a GPRS icon (the G at the top) and not even an Edge E. I figured it needed the registry tweak that the SP5 rom needed. I looked and it was already in there. Are we even getting Edge???

Guest Thetechnogeek
There is a large thread on HOFO regarding this. The manual lists the phone as GSM 900/1800/1900 and UMTS 2100. Now, on HTC's website they list it as GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and Tri band UMTS, but having used one in Houston in a 3G area, I can tell you that not only could the phone not find Cingular's UMTS network, it couldn't even find their 850 GSM network. As best I could tell, the phone was pulling from a 1900 tower and showing the roaming icon leading me to believe that it was an old ATT tower. Check your box and manual. It states "quad band" but then lists GSM 900/1800/1900/UMTS 2100 as the "quad band." Very disappointing if this is all true.

I'm thinking this is true, despite HTC CS in the UK *insisting* that it's quad band GSM and triband UMTS. The feedback on HoFo suggests the packaging is correct, and the flyers and HTC guys are wrong. This is a serious PR screwup for HTC (HTC staff, are you reading this???), as many people seem to have bought the phone "on spec" from the web info, and then found the phone actually does not have the capability they need.

If I lived in the US, I'd be smelling a lawsuit for false advertising :)

I have to say it's not looking good for HTC- their first own branded product is buggy (released too early), not app unlockable, and appears to have been advertised with characteristics it does not possess.

I'd strongly suggest emailing HTC from here: http://europe.htc.com/support/cs_by_email.html