Paul Reviews... the Orange SPV M3100

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest jimbouk
WiFi working very well, seems to be more reliable than it was on my Prophet.

P

My prophet was always pretty reliable on wifi, but the 3100 hasn't missed a beat yet. If orange's 3g wasn't so fast I would use it even more!

The pad for dialling is still there, 'Phone Pad' in this context is ONLY the T9 element.

WiFi working very well, seems to be more reliable than it was on my Prophet.

P

Thanks for clearing that up for me Paul. Good news about the WiFi too.

M

Guest AximMarkSD

I'd eat my Verizon early termination fee if/when t-mobile brings this to the US. i figure it's as if i bought my phone without a contract when i signed up. six of one, half dozen of another. sort of an option on leaving, if you will. if i stay, i get the subsidized price, if i leave i'll pay you full price then. yup, i think i just talked myself into it.

Guest Sgt_Strider

Hi Paul, if you can post higher resolution shots of the phone in closed and open position that would be great!

Why do you say that wifi on the hermes should be better than on the prophet?

What is the highest security feature that the Hermes support?

Guest boyo69
You won't be disappointed, it's an awesome device.

I now sit here however with the M3100 and the TyTN and wonder if despite the fact that the M3100 is the pretty sister, the TyTN is the one that you would rather live with ;)

Hmm, wonder if that's an analogy too far :)

P (on the wine :D)

hi Paul

i think i am in the same position as you !!!

love the look of the orange unit (and i will simply unlock and pop in the t-mobile sim) but the htc tytn does seem to have the better key layout on the bottom...................

any further thoughts on beauty vs ergonomics??!!!

Mark

Guest jimbouk
Hi Paul, if you can post higher resolution shots of the phone in closed and open position that would be great!

Why do you say that wifi on the hermes should be better than on the prophet?

What is the highest security feature that the Hermes support?

They both support WPA and WEP. The prophet wifi was good - but the hermes is excellent - I have used it at home, work and in public hotspots and the signal strength is good and the speed of negotiating an IP connection is outstanding.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I have both devices, and i'm using the M3100.

That probably says it all :)

I'm getting used to the M3100 button layout now.

I am running it with the HTC Homescreen/dialler/comm manager themes tho!

P

Guest jimbouk
Can somebody please explain exactly how Hermes WiFi is better then Prophet's/Wizard's without just saying that "its better"?

I don't know if the AKU2.3 rom has actually improved things or not. From my own experience the wifi is more resilient (in that the range seems longer, the connection is faster when you turn wifi on - although that may simply be down to the faster processor?).

With regards to changes, the new rom has obviously tweaked a few things - for example you have a tick box to auto turn off the wifi after two mins of being disconnected (very handy battery saver if you move out of range and forget to turn it off yourself) and the WLAn settings interface has been updated slightly. When you have finished a wifi session, and click on the wifi icon on the top bar, instead of offering to open comm manager, it offers to turn off wifi (which is a simple time saver).

I think the fundamentals are basically the same - ie the authentification is the same (WPA and WEP) but have found mine to simply more reliable (although the prophet was still perfectly usable).

Guest zen123

I noticed the speaker outlet hole is a bit small & on the underside of the device. How's the loudness? Sound quality is unimportant, just the loudness. I usaully have the phone in my jeans pocket I must be be able to hear it when, say, walking down a busy street. When laying flat on a table is the sound muffled to the point where you can't hear it across a room.

I got rid of my HTC Prophet because I could never hear it ringing. I'm using a Mio A701 at the moment, great gps implementation but too many deficiencies in the phone part.

Guest hooded

Paul could you comment on the A2DP on this device? That is of course if you have any bluetooth headphones laying around. I'm very curious about the performance of this as it could make the proprietary USB headphone port more excusable.

Guest hooded
I can't see any excuse for not just putting a damn standard sized socket on all these things from the start?!

Yeah I agree. Its a big enough device that there would be room for the traditional 3.5 mm socket. It must cost more to have 1 custom socket than 2 standard ones. There must have been some reason they went through so much extra work to design a new connector. It might simply be the same reason every other phone comany has proprietary connectors: to extract extra money from the customers on accessories. I would say that it would be unlike HTC to do this, but then again they were always an OEM manufacturer and wouldn't have gotten the benefit of expensive proprietary accessories. Now though.... who knows?

Guest jimbouk

maybe they and the networks got fed up with their inability to put a reliable jack socket in their device? just think how many spv's have gone back with faulty headst switches!

Guest Ingvarr

More likely, HTC wants to *aggressively* (ahem) promote their own brand of headsets - see, they produce/sell headsets now, and own socket is nothing better to keep rivals out of competition :)

Edited by Ingvarr

Paul, why can't you get friendly with O2 like you are with Orange, I wanna know when this is coming out on their XDA range. I emailed XDA a few days ago and they didn't have any idea of it or if/when it would be coming out. Be buggered if I'm going back to Orange just to get the phone.

Could PM me your supplier for the Dopod could you?

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm happy to talk to O2, but it requires them to want to talk to me too... which they don't seem to :)

Oh well!

Can't remember who I bought my Dopod 585 from, but I brought my 818Pro from this guy on eBay. He doesn't seem to have many dopods on there atm, maybe drop him a message?

P

Guest jimbouk
More likely, HTC wants to *aggressively* (ahem) promote their own brand of headsets - see, they produce/sell headsets now, and own socket is nothing better to keep rivals out of competition :)

Other than the need to charge/sync device when using headset (which is a biggy), surely with A2DP and the ability for the Mini-USB to carry sounds, surely the combined mini-usb port is a good idea?

I wonder if the top of the device is kept clear of ports/IR windows/card slots etc, so that the antenna has best chance of giving good reception? I have always believed that there are massive variances between handsets (even the same models) when it comes to phone signal strength. I know that I had loads of replacement phones (see my sig) over the years and have found big differences in signal strength between the same models (and not always getting better - due to model improvements) ... but my 3100 seems to have very strong signals both on 3g and gsm (and gprs) wherever I am.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.