Paul Reviews... the Orange SPV M3100

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Ingvarr

The top of device is kept clear because there are chips there on the PCB, simply no place for stuff you wrote.

Face it - when you have to squeeze like 2x times more chips on the PCB of same size, youll have to sacrifice something else. Everything comes for a price.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Dr Who
Paul could you comment on the A2DP on this device? That is of course if you have any bluetooth headphones laying around. I'm very curious about the performance of this as it could make the proprietary USB headphone port more excusable.

And has anyone confirmed the problems Syphon Filter was having with music over BT and wifi on at the same time?

Guest Kausor
I thought the missing phonepad would be a problem (as an ex-prophet user) but I have been using the sliding keyboard so much, I haven't really noticed it isnt there (or even thought about trying to load one up from my prophet).

The boot up time is a revelation! I never turned my prophet off (as I was fed up with waiting for it to boot) but have turned the M3100 off twice (in 24 hours).

The devices responsiveness is very good and the battery seems to be lasting as well as my prophet with similar usage.

The headset using the USB port would be an issue - but I await a splitter - and at least the m3100 wont suffer from the HTC headset socket switch problem!

Hello,

Sorry to ask a thick question from a Newbie.

I've got the M500 (currently); may I ask when you do use the keyboard to dial a number what appears on the screen if the 'virtual keypad' is missing?

Have I misunderstood the very detailed and good review by Paul, or is my question useful??

Thanks

Kausor

Hello,

Sorry to ask a thick question from a Newbie.

I've got the M500 (currently); may I ask when you do use the keyboard to dial a number what appears on the screen if the 'virtual keypad' is missing?

Have I misunderstood the very detailed and good review by Paul, or is my question useful??

Thanks

Kausor

Kausor, you still have the virtual keyboard but you cannot use the virtual keyboard to text now as T9 has been removed as an option. You can dial with the horizontal keyboard if you wish but i just use my contacts and the new jog wheel it works brilliantly

Guest jimbouk

The missing phonepad keeps confusing people. With these devices, you have a number of ways of inputting text into your device - and although there is a letter recogniser and a block recogniser (like early palms) the two most popular were the keyboard and the phonepad. The phonepad was an onscreen virtual keypad much like the keypad on a normal mobile phone. You could use T9 predictive text typing on it (or simple ABC or 123). With the 3100 (and other Hermes) the phonepad option is not available and thus onscreen data input is now restricted to the onscreen keyboard, letter recogniser etc.

The phone's dialpad is a completely different matter - and the M3100's phone dialpad is very similar to all previous pocket pc phone editions (except for the VIDEO Call button and some tweaking to how it behaves when you are mid call etc).

I personally do not miss the phonepad but I am 40 (and thus didnt grow up with playstation thumbs and 300 texts a month when I was a teenager).

I wish you hadn't posted those pics Paul, I'm lokoing at my Wizard now and it reminds me of the original SPV and the hermes is the E200, history repeating itself, I NEED one now!

Got any comps lined up :) ;)

Edited by Rob.P

is it possible to get the m1300 sim free...Ive only seen the Tytn sim free but prefer the styling of the m1300.

Want one of these now...just got a p990 as well....hmm what to do.......

Guest jimbouk

The DOPOD 838 PRO is a simfree variant of the 3100 (Herm100).

I think the V1605 is simfree, but that and the Imate JasJam uses the other less attractive layout.

Edited by jimbouk

838pros not available yet though is it?

the jasjam looks identical to the m3100 from what ive seen dont think thats out yet either :)

Edited by J273

Guest Pondrew
I think the V1605 is simfree, but that and the Imate JasJam uses the other less attractive layout.

J273 is right jimbouk, the Jasjam (assuming it's ever released!) is much the same case and styling as the SPV M3100... ie it's a HERM100

Guest jimbouk

You're right! I looked at the wrong pic of the JASjam - posted elsewhere before the official pics came out!

Late September is the current thinking...

Edited by jimbouk

Hello again.

My m3100 came yesterday and i got to say i'm impressed. I'm not gonne go over it cos your review covers everything.

I am going to add 2 gripes though.

1.) This is the major one. I got the phone yesterday and as i was told i dialed 100 to connect the phone with Orange. For some reason i got a message saying calls were barred from my new phone. I rang from my other mobile and got it sorted. Since then however i have had a couple of problems with making calls, sending texts, the phone losing signal when on standby (or hibernation or whatever it's called when the screen is turned off but the phone is on), and my biggest gripe is that i cannot connect to WAP at all. When dialing 150 from the phone to get to the technicians it eventually cuts me off so i have still not got this sorted. On the plus side, i have made 4 calls and sent 4 texts in the last 2 hours and i have had no problems at all, so i'm hoping it was a teething problem, but i really need to get WAP sorted.

2.) This is my minor fault/niggle. When the keyboard slides out i was hoping for the kind of action you get on the samsung mobile (d600 for example). If the keyboard was spring loaded on this superb device it would have everything, but the way the keybaord slides out as it is seems a little scrapy and uncool to me.

Other than that though, i have noticed the size of the unit is not much bigger than my 6680, but put it in it's protective sleeve and it feels like i've got a slab of cheese in my pocket. I will be looking out for a smaller protector.

Good luck to all those who have ordered one. My gripes are small, and i'm not too bothered because overall it's such a good littel machine.

Edited by iam

Guest Paul (MVP)

You don't need a protective case if (like I do) you carry it in a Pocket on it's own surely?

1) sounds like it could be a hardware fault, or a hard reset might fix it?

I don't mind the keyboard action, feels solid to me.

P

You don't need a protective case if (like I do) you carry it in a Pocket on it's own surely?

1) sounds like it could be a hardware fault, or a hard reset might fix it?

I don't mind the keyboard action, feels solid to me.

P

I don't normally use a case on my phones, but i do have issues with what my pocket does to them. I always and up with a pile of small dust particles under the screen and in all the holes. The screen usually scratches a bit and inevitably i'm gonna smack it off the corner of a table. I'd rather have a case for this beauty.

I was hoping the WAP wasn't gonna be a hardware problem because as of the last 2 hours or so everything on it has been fine. I got WiFi running on it, all calls have been fine (not tried orange again though) all texts have been fine.

We'll have to wait and see.

Guest Kausor
Sample photos (more to follow)...

P

Hello Paul,

Can you post an image of what happens when you select the phone icon on the homescreen.gif image?

I'd like to see what appears in the absence of a phone pad, please

Thanks

Kausor

Guest kevlar

I haven't posted here for a while although I have been popping in now and then. I've just got orange to upgrade me to the M3100 for

Edited by kevlar

Here's a few quick snaps I literally just took especially for you Nick (hence the crappy reflections) :)

P

hybrid1.png

hybrid2.png

Paul,is there any chance youd be able to take a pic side on with the jamin and m3100.....its just the pics ive seen of it make it look massive.

Do you find it alot bigger to the jamin?

Also is the tytn identical size to the m3100?

Cheers ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.