Paul Reviews... the Orange SPV M3100

Guest PaulOBrien

Much as I love the JAMin, I've literally just put it back in it's box to use a Hermes.

TyTN or M3100? Undecided :)

P

Which do you like the best then paul the TyTn or m3100?

Im going to get 1 but undecided on which ......... ;)

Thanks

Guest kevlar

Can someone clear up the 3g thing for me please? does the phone just connect through 3g if available and use mb of data from your bundle or if not available fall back on gprs instead? or do you have to have a separate 3g tarrif?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Assuming your SIM is 3G enabled, it'll use 3G where available then yes, fall back to GPRS.

If you DON'T have a 3G enabled SIM, you'll just get GPRS.

P

Guest SteelyDan
Paul,is there any chance youd be able to take a pic side on with the jamin and m3100.....its just the pics ive seen of it make it look massive.

Do you find it alot bigger to the jamin?

Also is the tytn identical size to the m3100?

Cheers :)

I'd be interested to see this as I was planning on ordering a prophet very soon. The faster CPU would be welcome but not if this thing is twice the thickness.

Guest kevlar
Assuming your SIM is 3G enabled, it'll use 3G where available then yes, fall back to GPRS.

If you DON'T have a 3G enabled SIM, you'll just get GPRS.

P

Thanks Paul, how will I know if my sim is 3g enabled? is it like gprs where you just ring orange and they send out a sim update? Am I right in thinking there isn't any extra cost in using 3g apart from paying for the data as you do with gprs?

Guest Sgt_Strider
Paul,is there any chance youd be able to take a pic side on with the jamin and m3100.....its just the pics ive seen of it make it look massive.

Do you find it alot bigger to the jamin?

Also is the tytn identical size to the m3100?

Cheers :)

Nice pictures. I'm just wondering, how did you got rid of the Orange Logo from the top?

Guest Sgt_Strider

I just have two quick questions for you M3100 owners. How much is the M3100 if one were to buy without signing a contract?

Some people on howardforums are complaining that the HTC Tytn have a keyboard issue. Sometimes the keys needs to be pressed a bit harder or else the phone won't recognize the input. Are anyone of you guys experiencing this? Thanks!

Guest kevlar

Not sure if this is allowed but here goes anyway, please delete if its not.

I'm looking for a 2g micro sd card to go with my m3100 which will hopefully arrive today. I'm having trouble locating one. All the 2g micro sd's on ebay are from singapore. I don't want to wait a week for it to arrive.

Has anyone found somewhere with them in stock and at a decent price?

thanks

Kev

Guest jimbouk
I just have two quick questions for you M3100 owners. How much is the M3100 if one were to buy without signing a contract?

Some people on howardforums are complaining that the HTC Tytn have a keyboard issue. Sometimes the keys needs to be pressed a bit harder or else the phone won't recognize the input. Are anyone of you guys experiencing this? Thanks!

You cant buy the m3100 without a contract from Orange but there will probably be some on ebay, you would need to wait for the Dopod 838 pro or the Imate JasJam to come out and they will typically be

Guest bronksy
Not sure if this is allowed but here goes anyway, please delete if its not.

I'm looking for a 2g micro sd card to go with my m3100 which will hopefully arrive today. I'm having trouble locating one. All the 2g micro sd's on ebay are from singapore. I don't want to wait a week for it to arrive.

Has anyone found somewhere with them in stock and at a decent price?

thanks

Kev

Sandisk will have 2Gig cards available in about 4/5 weeks time. They have launched but not in the UK for a little while yet.

Guest kevlar
Sandisk will have 2Gig cards available in about 4/5 weeks time. They have launched but not in the UK for a little while yet.

Thanks m8, so they are not even available yet in the uk? that would explain why the cards on ebay are from singapore.

Edited by kevlar

Guest tawse57

Thanks for the great review. This phone looks 90% there but why oh why have Orange removed the MSN Messenger client? I mean, phones are becoming data phones and within a year it will be abnormal not to have a phone with a messaging client on it so why remove the World's most popular messaging client? This is a real downer for me and is actually a killer when deciding whether to buy or not. If it had Messenger on it I would buy one today. As it is, I will probably be leaving Orange later this year after over 8 years with them.

OK, Orange may be bringing out their own messaging client but:

1. When?

2. I don't want their client - I want MSN Messenger as all my friends and business contacts use the Microsoft client.

One reason to buy a phone like this is to have such a client so, IMPO, I think it is a big mistake by Orange to have this removed. If I want to add it I have to go and buy the OS, format the ROM and then install the original MS software. People talk about MS's Live Beta but that is a Beta and, as far as I can tell, would still require a ROM update.

In the next couple of months other mobile companies will be bringing out Pocket and Mobile PC phones from Samsung, Motorola, etc, and I think Orange will find people opting to go with them purely because of this messenger client removal issue. What a shame - a great phone wrecked, IMPO, by someone farting around.

Guest jimbouk

As Paul says Agile is free and it connects and works with MSN messenger (and five other IM networks) so you can see your online/offline contacts, and chat with them - or you can simply buy Pocket MSN for

I haven't seen this question posed before, so here goes!

Does sliding the keyboard out turn the screen on, rather than having to press the "on" button?

Also what is the in call audio quality like? I'm concerned cos on the Jam I had, it was pants and I don't know if I was just unlucky, or if it's like that with all PPCPE devices.

Ta,

Pete.

Guest kevlar

Received my m3100 yesterday and loving it so far. Just noticed something missing though, is there no photo contacts application built in? if not is there an application anyone recommends preferably free?

Guest tawse57
No, you have to turn it on and slide the keyboard out.

Audio quality is excellent!

Don't worry about O removing MSN Messenger, Windows Live Messenger is coming from MS soon anyway.

Photo Contacts? For dialling? Check QDz out (free!):

http://www.nicque.com/PQz/QDz.htm

P

Thanks for the info about the agile messenger but, um, does anyone know what is going on at their server end? I mean, you really want your client to connect directly with Microsoft's servers DIRECTLY for all sorts of security reasons. Millions of people now have their hotmail email/password tied into not just messenger but also eBay, Paypal, etc, so would anyone feel safe having any third party connecting their client to a MS server?

As for the Live Messenger - I have read loads on this but it all, at the end of the day, looks the same as the current client but just unified so that XP and 2000 users get the same interface? Some people say it will be accessed via IE but numerous images online show it as a separate client.

Is anyone here using MS Messenger, in any form, on the M3100?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.