Battery Life

Guest kerryburn

Guest kerryburn

Guys

just wanted to check, has anyone else noticed how bad the battery life is, i have fully charged it today, barely used it and it has lost 2 bars!!! (60% reading on battery bar)

i have switched off 3G to test and this is really worrying, before i establish if it is faulty could anyone confirm their experiences pls

thanks

Kerry

Guest Thetechnogeek
I think Pagemakers wrote all over this forum about it :)

Also it seems that battery usage only high in areas with 3G coverage.

This is definately not as simple as having poor battery life, or being in a 3G area. My coverage at work is typically 1 bar on 3G Voda, and my phone sits on this all day, every day. I typically make ~35min of calls a day, and heartbeat around 100k of data. I charged my battery Friday lunchtime, and I'm now down to 1 bar (it's now Tues evening).

I have, however, had a day when the battery went from full to 1 bar in about 14 hours. I have no idea what I did differently, other than maybe travelling around a bit more than usual.

The other think I have noticed is if you reboot the phone, you often "gain" a bar of battery, so it maybe the monitor is buggy- check to see how long it is before your phone actually runs out and switches off.

Finally, turn off "receive all beams"- this saves battery, and turn off bluetooth when you're not using it (mine is always off unless I'm in the car).

Hope this helps a little

Guest Pagemakers

My findings.....If the phone is associating in any way with 3G, that's transmitting data or even just connected to it, the battery like is unbelievably crap. There is no better word for it. You will get between 1 and 15 hours out of a full charge.

When no 3G signal is present I get days out of it, comparable to the SP5.

However, and it's a big HOWEVER, I bought this bloody phone because it supported 3G, and now when I use it I can only connect for about 50-60 minutes then my power settings are shouting at me to re-charge. It's pathetic.

This is a massive failing of this device.

Guest Dr Who
My findings.....If the phone is associating in any way with 3G, that's transmitting data or even just connected to it, the battery like is unbelievably crap. There is no better word for it. You will get between 1 and 15 hours out of a full charge.

When no 3G signal is present I get days out of it, comparable to the SP5.

However, and it's a big HOWEVER, I bought this bloody phone because it supported 3G, and now when I use it I can only connect for about 50-60 minutes then my power settings are shouting at me to re-charge. It's pathetic.

This is a massive failing of this device.

And did you say there is no way to genuinely turn off the 3G?

Guest Dr Who
You can manually set the phone only to use GPRS, but what's the point of having a 3G phone?

Yeah, agreed. This was a real problem with early Nokia 3G phones, and TBH more recent ones like the N80 as well.

But if you are strolling about not using your 3G then perhaps you could turn it off if that preserves the battery? Does Push work particularly well over GPRS?

Guest Pagemakers

Don't use push so I can't advise sorry.

I have slingbox installed on my phone, and watching a few minutes of streaming 3G TV kills the battery.

Guest Dr Who
watching a few minutes of streaming 3G TV kills the battery.

Ah yes. That does suck. A lot. That would be my main plan for a 3G device. Whats the mAh of the battery?

Guest kerryburn
And did you say there is no way to genuinely turn off the 3G?

thanks guys for the replies its not that great is it! and dont get me started around car kits!!!

speak soon

Kerry

Guest Pagemakers

Turned 3G permanently off and the battery life is good.

However the sole reason of buying this phone was for 3G.

I hope HTC sort this HUGE failing out soon.

• 4 weeks later...

honestly, this phone is crap. I bought it here in italy and tried to get in touch with htc here, but I had no reply.

battery life is poor, it looses all the mail accounts and internet settings if you turn it off.

they should give us money back for this froud...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pagemakers

If it wasn't for 3G I would have bagged this phone ages ago.

Poor battery life and buggy software.

Been in a meeting for 90% of the day but still down to 2 bars from a full charge by mid afternoon.

And why? Because I dared to allow the phone to connect to a 3G network.

Pathetic.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Davibona

Ciao to everybody.

I have bought an IMATE SPJAS last week. I have used with and without 3G but the result is the same. I can use for 4 or 5 hours and then I need to recharge becosue the phone display the message "level of battery down please recharge".

Another thing. If i try to recharge for one night when i get up I need to take off battery becouse the phone go down and don't work. When I turn on it again the battery life signs 2 or 3 bars, and the phone is very worm (the display shows 43

Guest Pagemakers
Mate, I hate to tell you..

Sounds like you have got faulty phone. Sorry..

Get it replaced. Good luck!

Sorry, disagree with you. I have the same phone and this pathetic battery life is normal, especially if the phone is connected to or hunting for a 3G signal.

Sorry, disagree with you. I have the same phone and this pathetic battery life is normal, especially if the phone is connected to or hunting for a 3G signal.

Strange, I have a MTeoR and and would class myself as a regular user of phone calls, SMS, MMS, Push Email and 3G usage, and i'd class my battery life as good. A fully charged handset on a Monday monring will see me through until Thursday night / Friday morning nicely.

Guest Thetechnogeek
Strange, I have a MTeoR and and would class myself as a regular user of phone calls, SMS, MMS, Push Email and 3G usage, and i'd class my battery life as good. A fully charged handset on a Monday monring will see me through until Thursday night / Friday morning nicely.

Me too. I have no complaints about battery life- and I am hooked up to 3G pretty much 24/7

Guest SecureGSM

...Another thing. If i try to recharge for one night when i get up I need to take off battery becouse the phone go down and don't work. When I turn on it again the battery life signs 2 or 3 bars, and the phone is very worm (the display shows 43

Guest Pagemakers

I think battery life has got to do with how good your 3G connection is. I am on the fringes of 3G where I live and I think the phone hunts for a 3G signal.

If I am in good or no 3G reception the battery life is far better.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the Dopod 595. Battery life is not too bad but I'm in the city so coverage should be pretty good. Its nowhere near as good as my 577w which is in repair at the moment. Now what would be good is if someone came up with a utility to switch between UMTS and GSM at scheduled times - eg I have to have my phone on all the time and at night I don't need 3G data services - so switching to GSM would preserve battery life. Just a thought

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bowerandy

I had a similar issue with battery life. I heard that Orange had rejected the adoption of their C700 phone (the MTeor in disguise) because of battery life problems. That didn''t sound good so I thought I would test the standby time with a view to complaining if it was as bad as I expected.

I drained and then fully charged the battery and turned BT off. I then left the phone in an Orange 3G area (2 bars) for as long as possible without making any calls. The phone lasted a creditable 6 days in standby before the battery ran out. So the problem is not simply being connected to 3G.

Last week I took the fully charged phone out and about and the battery was dead in 8 hours. After this I charged the phone again and kept a close eye on it. I now think the problem is this... when the phone loses a 3G signal it goes into "Searching" mode (where it displays this on the screen). Trouble is that around 50% of the time it never comes out of this mode when the signal returns. My guess is that it bumps the power up when searching and for some reason it''s not regaining the signal correctly so it burns through the battery in hours not days. Actually, restarting the phone by removing the battery when one thinks the the 3G signal should be back will result in the phone gaining signal again, which seems to back up this theory.

This morning I''ve been on to HTC support and the nice man there told me to cold reset the phone. This I have now done and I''m giving it 24 hours before getting back to them (I don''t hold out much hope, franky). My guess is it''s a firmware problem but, whatever it is, it is such that the HTC MTeor is useless until it is fixed.

For potential purchasers my advice is that, until you hear that HTC have addressed this problem, DON''T BUY THIS PHONE.

Guest Pondrew

Well, if the O2 (XDA?) Graphite that O2 UK are allegedly gonna be getting soon really is the HTC Breeze in a different case then I really hope they managed to fix the battery life problem. If they did I'll happily get it, if not then not a chance! :)