Battery Life

Guest kerryburn

Guest staffann

I recognize that problem, bowerandy (the constant "searching"). I tried going into flight mode. Then I wanted to go back and turn radio on in order to see if it would regain the signal, but I couldn't turn the radio back on!!!

On a number of other occasions, the phone has instead displayed "startup service" or "no service" (or similar, I have a Swedish language phone). In all cases, I have been in a place with full signal strength. In these cases, turning off and on the radio did the trick.

I agree with others that this phone needs a firmware upgrade real bad! Since the TyTN has gotten an upgrade, I am hoping that MTeoR will also get one soon. They share the same radio hardware after all, so it should be pretty fast to use the new TyTN radio stack in the MTeoR as well.

Guest Pagemakers

My phone was on change all day yesterday. I took it off charge when I went to bed (about 10pm). I woke this morning, flew to Spain and back (so my phone was off for most of the day) and when I arrived back in the UK, an hour later it was down to 1 bar.

It's rubbish period. No matter why it happens. It is totally unusable as a serious business phone.

Guest staffann
My phone was on change all day yesterday. I took it off charge when I went to bed (about 10pm). I woke this morning, flew to Spain and back (so my phone was off for most of the day) and when I arrived back in the UK, an hour later it was down to 1 bar.

It's rubbish period. No matter why it happens. It is totally unusable as a serious business phone.

Have you tried returning your phone for a repair/exchange? I see that you've written about your problem (or rather, your phones problem) many times, but though it may help to blow off some steam it won't fix the problem. Others do not have a battery problem of the magnitude that your MTeoR does, so it seems likely that something is wrong with it.

My experience is that the battery time isn't exactly great, but not a catastrophe either.

Guest awarner (MVP)
I drained and then fully charged the battery and turned BT off.

Best not to try and fully drain the battery as you can seriously shorten the life and cause the battery to lose capacitance which is irreversible damage.

Most Li-ion batteries have undervoltage protection so fully discharging them can be hard but not impossible.

Ideally they prefer to be topped up at regular intervals and every so often a condition charge ie leaving it on charge overnight etc can help keep the battery in top condition.

Guest Pagemakers

It's incredible all this chat about how we should or should not charge out battery.

The MTeoR's battery life is rubbish. Period. I have never had another phone (not even the original SPV) where the battery life is no appalling.

The phone is at fault, no the user.

Guest saintone1

I have had my Dopod 595 for over 2 months now. I have refrained from commenting on battery life issues until I was happy that my phone was well tested.

I can happily say that I get a similar battery life (1.5-2 days) as I did with my Tornado. However, I now use internet, email and video conferencing much more, so this is pretty impressive. The Wi-Fi is handy on the Tornado but only when beside a free access point!!

Overall, I have found this phone to be extremely stable and well finished. I am very well aware that the first HTC versions in Europe may be a little different, with no video conferencing, but I would hope that this does not deter people from buying this phone.

I have had various different HTC/Dopod phones to test and I would not swap my phone for any of them.

Guest kiran_mk2

I've had my Typhoon get stuck "searching" for a network a couple of times. Each time needed me to flip into flight mode and back to get the network back. If that is what's killing the mteor battery life then a simple rom update should fix it easily.

I've heard this phone is coming out on the 3 network in the UK soon so it'll be interesting to see if the problems are fixed as with the Dopod.

Guest osiris8

After switching my schedule from direct push to every 15 minutes my battery time has gone from disastrous to just like the previous five phones I had (which were non-3G).

• 1 month later...
Guest Pagemakers
Pagemakers have you updated your ROM, and do you have any feedback on what affect this has on the battery life? (Or anyone else)

I have the very latest HTC ROM on there and it has made absolutely no difference. Currently my phone is back with HTC for repair.

• 2 months later...
Guest jasonmc

I've had to set my MTeor to GPRS to get a reasonable (i.e. more than 8hours) battery life. What's worse - even now - if I don't disconnect the GPRS manually after accessing the Internet, my battery life is only about 1 day. If I do force a disconnect, I get about 2-3 days life, but that's no use because I use ActiveSync to sync mail automatically. GPRS is not supposed to use extra battery when connected, but it does on the MTeor. ;) I've hunted high and low for a utility to do this, but can't find anything. I've put in a feature request for the developers of PhoneAlarm to add this feature to the SP edition. If anyone else thinks this would be useful, please let them know, because right now my phone is almost useless.

Edited by jasonmc

Guest Pagemakers

I am amazed that this phone has survived as long as it has. It is a piece of crap.

1) Dreadful battery life. As bad as the original SPV

2) Buggy as hell

3) Gets hot when using 3G (uncomfortable to hold)

4) Phone as a 3G modem = 50 minutes battery life

5) Now my keypad gives multi-presses on the 't' button

It's been back to HTC and all they did was re-flash the ROM like I told them I had already done a million times before.

i-600 is here next week (hopefully), then this bag of crap is going back to HTC for another repair/replacement, then it's up for sale. Good riddance.

Guest jasonmc
I am amazed that this phone has survived as long as it has. It is a piece of crap.

1) Dreadful battery life. As bad as the original SPV

2) Buggy as hell

3) Gets hot when using 3G (uncomfortable to hold)

4) Phone as a 3G modem = 50 minutes battery life

It's been back to HTC and all they did was re-flash the ROM like I told them I had already done a million times before.

i-600 is here next week (hopefully), then this bag of crap is going back to HTC for another repair/replacement, then it's up for sale. Good riddance.

Only issue I have is the battery life - quite happy with everything else. I bought the phone in the UK and flashed it with the SA ROM when I got back, and it did fix a few of the issues.

Mine does the same, but on all the keys - it's driving me mad when responding to emails and text messages.

I'm personally waiting for the S710 to become available and it can't come soon enough! I would love to wait for the S730 version with 3G, scroll wheel and GPS, but I just don't think I have the patience!