Mteor- application unlock solution

Guest Thetechnogeek

Guest Thetechnogeek

OK, we have an application unlock solution for the Mteor at last.

You need to use the attached reg editor.

1. Copy the regeditSTG2.exe to the root directory of your storage card using a DIRECT card reader/writer FROM YOUR PC. You CANNOT copy this file to your phone using the explore option from activesync. If you do not have a microSD reader/writer for your PC, you're out of luck, sorry.

2. Put the microSD back in your phone, and open regeditSTG2 from file manager.

3. Change the following values as per previous WM5 installations

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 = 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001005 = 40

That's it, you're done. I can now run unsigned apps on my phone.

Yipee!

regeditSTG2.exe

OK, we have an application unlock solution for the Mteor at last.

You need to use the attached reg editor.

1. Copy the regeditSTG2.exe to the root directory of your storage card using a DIRECT card reader/writer FROM YOUR PC. You CANNOT copy this file to your phone using the explore option from activesync. If you do not have a microSD reader/writer for your PC, you're out of luck, sorry.

2. Put the microSD back in your phone, and open regeditSTG2 from file manager.

3. Change the following values as per previous WM5 installations

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 = 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001005 = 40

That's it, you're done. I can now run unsigned apps on my phone.

Yipee!

We tried this and it didn't work!

Don't forget to change -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001017 = 144

Works like a dream.

:D

Oh, and BTW, we managed to drag and drop through the File Explore function rather nicely, straight onto our MTeoR!

Edited by yrreP

Guest Thetechnogeek
We tried this and it didn't work!

Don't forget to change -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001017 = 144

Works like a dream.

Oh, and BTW, we managed to drag and drop through the File Explore function rather nicely, straight onto our MTeoR!

Drag and drop- didn't try that. I guess the exact reg settings which need to be changed depend on the application? I have changed mine as in my post above, and works fine for unsigned apps now.

I think the biggest hurdle here was finding a reg editor which the Mteor would listen to, so credit to whoever wrote regeditSTG2!

Guest Pagemakers

Great work but not quite there.

Download the attached zip file and transfer CheckLock.exe to your phone and run it and you will see your phone is still partially locked.

Now all you sees to do is make an Activesync connection and run the attached SDA unlock app. Reboot your phone and now your phone is FULLY unlocked. This can be confirmed by running the CheckLock.exe file again.

Now all we need to do is fix the battery life!!

MTeor_Unlock.zip

Guest vconcept
Great work but not quite there.

Download the attached zip file and transfer CheckLock.exe to your phone and run it and you will see your phone is still partially locked.

Now all you sees to do is make an Activesync connection and run the attached SDA unlock app. Reboot your phone and now your phone is FULLY unlocked. This can be confirmed by running the CheckLock.exe file again.

Now all we need to do is fix the battery life!!

Thanks a lot. It works fine !

Drag and drop- didn't try that. I guess the exact reg settings which need to be changed depend on the application? I have changed mine as in my post above, and works fine for unsigned apps now.

Our ultimate goal was to install a Root Cert., so we could Active Sync to our exchange server. Editing the three reg settings I mentioned above will allow users to do this.

Guest nedge2k
Mods, can you make this sticky please since it is the simple most important find for the MTeoR so far!

Pagemakers, while your enthusiasm for this topic is appriciated, abusing the system of reporting questionable posts is not. If a post is questionable (and ONLY if a post is questionable), then you should click the "report post" button ONCE and once only.

Guest Pagemakers

hu?

I clicked the button once.

If you software works incorrectly that's not my problem.

Thanks for you rude bluntmess. I'll post elsewhere in future.

Guest Thetechnogeek

I was so tickled with this progress for the Mteor, I actually tried letting HTC customer support know we'd found a solution. As soon as they heard it involved editing the registry with a non-HTC app, the guy I was speaking to (1) lost interest, (2) said that there was no way HTC could recommend a "non-approved" solution and (3) we'd void our warranty by doing this. I argued the point with (3), but gave up in disappointment. He also said there was no word on the ROM update as yet.

So once again, thanks to the internet and this forum for finding the solution that manufacturers obviously don't want us to know :D

Edited by Thetechnogeek

Guest Thetechnogeek
Cheers guys. Appreciated!

Pagemakers, just so I know if I've sinned, did you think my original post was "questionable"? Just checking :D

Guest puttelutt

A few tips:

regedt2.exe worked nicely on my mteor.

The unlock app mentioned above cannot run on my mteor since its not a CE application. It'll run on my PC, but it doesnt do anything. The unlock checker however works, but it reports the phone as locked even after I have done the registry changes.

I was looking through the net for solutions and found one that included using regeditSTG.exe (which doesnt work since it cant write to the registry on the mteor). If you run that application first, then download the regeditSTG2.exe and start it, the phone will switch into the FIRST registry editor unless you go to start-task manager and close it first. And remember regeditSTG.exe doesnt work properly so... quite confusing.

Another way to transfer files. Unpack them on a PC. Transfer them to an unlocked phone (I have a tytn as well) and then use IR to transfer the file from the second phone onto the mteor. That works nicely. Transferring from the PC to the mteor via IR didnt work. The exe file was refused by the mteor, but it might have been something jiffy with my PC.

Thanks and my best to you all !! :D :D

puttelutt

Guest utilman

regeditSTG2.exe works great if you run it out of phone memory.

trick with changing 3 reg keys work great...

however.. I'm still not allowed to run tomtom5 mobile. anyone having a fix for that problem?

that would really be great!! :D

by the way.. mteor works great with parrot ck3300 carkit.. no problems at all.

Guest Thetechnogeek
nobody using tomtom and have a solution how to get it working?

I'm using TT mobile (ver 5) and it works fine for me- I just changed the 2 reg entries I detailed in my first post (and I have not changed anything else at all). Is it not running at all for you, or are you having trouble in activating? Let us have some more details and we'll see if we can help

Guest WorldofPPC

Nrrrg... it makes me want to throw the MTeor out of my window... 8-(

I copy regstg2 onto my storage card, start it, hop to the first appropriate registry key, change it, press "save"... and "Error: Unable to Perform this Operation".

And that

Hi!

A TomTom5 question...

I have changed and verified the 3 regkey entries on my HTC MTeOR and executed the unlocking app. and it says "your phone is not locked". So far so good.

And now trying to install TomTom 5.21. Its 5 cab files that is to be executed, but for every cab file it says "Installation is not intended for this device". Is that still a part of the security issue?

btw, i have been in contact with Destinator technologies and they said that Destinator 6 is not yet functioning on MTeoR but they looking into it and maybe will have it to work.

Good work m8s!

//ML

Guest stuartforrest

Mine worked great. Thanks for posting this. I spent hours trying different registry editors that had worked for my Imate SP5 then had the bright idea of searching on google and found this post. Reged32 worked and i followed the other instrcutions and now I can install my stuff. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wow, works like a charm!

thanks for this post guys, was quite dissapointed after finding out that this phone was application locked. The big sticker on the box said: Sim and Application lock free!