MoDaCo Dude Splash/Boot Screen

Guest The Doctor

Guest The Doctor

After buggering around with tornado roms all day i had an idea where i could create a 'ROM' where by it changed only the splash screen and left the OS etc as it was.

Anyway i did.

The attached zip contains everything you need to change your splash screen to a MoDaCo Dude logo.

Just run ROM_Update_Utility.exe and it'll seem like a normal rom update but WILL ONLY CHANGE THE SPLASH SCREEN, it will leave the os as it is so all your programs etc are safe.

If anybody has any requests for splashes, post the image you want (240x320) and i'll make you your own RUU :D

Phil

MoDaCo_Splash_RUU.zip

Guest The Doctor
is that for startup and shut down images??

no its the splash screen. the very first screen when you turn your phone on. the screen with the operator logo.

phil

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Heh, i remember way back when, when people were regularly requesting this and it was thought to be too much of a pain to be a convenient solution!

Soon as O developers send me my App-unlocker i'll whack the latest O update on an replace the logo with a nice MoDaCo dude motif!

Guest The Doctor
Care to share the process of making it Doctor? :D

P

Sure! I'd be happy to! :D

First of all you need:

-Your Splash Image (bmp, jpg, gif whatever with 240x320 pixels)

-nb2nbf_tornado.exe (found in i-mate SP5 1.5.333 ROM's) (attached)

-nb_image_converter.exe (found on the interweb somewhere)

open up nb_image_converter.exe and load your image. then save as .nb

fire up nb2nbf_tornado.exe, You do not need to set a language or version. Set the CID to 11111111 and choose where you want your output file to go. then check File #1 and locate where you save your nb file from earlier. under image name select splash screen. press translate and it will creat your own nbf :D

Then simply bundle it in a directory with all the other files youll find in RUU_NO_NBF.zip file attached and run ROM_Update_Utility.exe

As said in the first post it'll seem like a normal rom update but will be 100x faster as your only flashing the splashscreen and will ONLY change your splash screen leaving the OS as it is.

Your own custom splash nbf :D

Phil

EDIT: Attached files (D'oh!)

EDIT 2: @ Paul - I have no idea whether the nbf will work for a hermes. however it is the same screen ressolution so i'll look at a htc wizard rom and see what i come up with :D

nb_image_converter.exe

nb2nbf_tornado.exe

RUU_NO_NBF.zip

Edited by The Doctor

Guest The Doctor

Actually thinking about it creating an nbf is the long way round.... half the reason i created the nbf was so that it was simple for other people to do it.

however if your interested you can change your splash with a version of typhoonnbftool.exe

just download the attachment, extract all the files and run the exe. to change your splash screen go Tools>Immediate Flash Tools>Change device splash screen>Tornado (240x320) and select your BMP (must be a bmp image 240x320 or you will get a write error)

This will also work for any other smartphone as long as you select the right screen resolution and have the right size bmp for your screen resolution.

Phil

TyphoonNBFTool041_bin.zip

Guest The Doctor

@ Paul - the pocket pc nbf's have a different structure to that of the smartphone nbf's and i dont have the tools to decode them :D however i will have a look around and see what i can come up with :D

Nice posts! Guess i'll have to have a play later :D

You can also dump sections of the nbf using typhoonnbftool to a .n_d format (which can simply be renamed to .nb) and 'glue' them together using nb2nbf.exe. i'm now running i-mate AKU2 OS with C600 AKU2 IPL and SPL with MoDaCo splash with the latest GSM section version found in the tornado section somewhere.

but yeah you can just create your own custom roms using any dumped sections.

Phil

Edited by The Doctor

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Hmm, doesnt appear to work with the Faraday (Invalid Vendor), trying to get the Orange Update installer. This should work if i just replace the .nbf?

Guest skippythenurse

Where in the registry (for the Cingular 2125) do you look for to switch the first splash screen. I am trying to get rid of that Cingular image but can't find it.

Guest The Doctor
Where in the registry (for the Cingular 2125) do you look for to switch the first splash screen. I am trying to get rid of that Cingular image but can't find it.

the very first image is the splash screen and is in the rom so you can't change it using regedit. follow the instructions relating to typhoonnbftool to change it in my previous posts.

phil

Guest merwin
After buggering around with tornado roms all day i had an idea where i could create a 'ROM' where by it changed only the splash screen and left the OS etc as it was.

You can also change the splash screen on the Tornado using a modified version of TyphoonNBFTool (modified by myself), found here:

http://www.spv-developers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2558

Note that your phone has to be application unlocked for this software to work.

Basically, just download, extract somewhere, and run it while connected to ActiveSync. Open up the Tools -> Immediate Flash Tools -> Change Device Splash Screen -> Tornado (240x320)

Then, just select the bmp you want to upload and viola... instant boot screen change. Note that the 'Open' dialog defaults to only showing 'device.bmp' so you have to drop down the 'File Type' box to show all BMP files.

I've attached the 'MoDaCo Dude' bmp to this post

ModacoDude.bmp

Edited by merwin

Guest The Doctor
You can also change the splash screen on the Tornado using a modified version of TyphoonNBFTool (modified by myself), found here:

http://www.spv-developers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2558

Basically, just download, extract somewhere, and run it while connected to ActiveSync. Open up the Tools -> Immediate Flash Tools -> Change Device Splash Screen -> Tornado (240x320)

Then, just select the bmp you want to upload and viola... instant boot screen change. Note that the 'Open' dialog defaults to only showing 'device.bmp' so you have to drop down the 'File Type' box to show all BMP files.

I've attached the 'MoDaCo Dude' bmp to this post

already said this about 4 posts up merwin :D and nice work for modding it for everybody :D wasnt sure who did it or i would have given you the credit :D

Phil

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I didnt manage to sort my C600 last night, seems i'm having issues getting my phone decerted which i'm working with Orange Devs to sort out. Will give it another blast this evening, hopefully i can sort it out and complete the Orange > MoDaCo transition (debating sugarcubing the O logo!)

Guest The Doctor
I didnt manage to sort my C600 last night, seems i'm having issues getting my phone decerted which i'm working with Orange Devs to sort out. Will give it another blast this evening, hopefully i can sort it out and complete the Orange > MoDaCo transition (debating sugarcubing the O logo!)

Got a decerted by default c600 aku2 rom. it also accepts changes made by regeditSTG.exe :D

Can be found HERE

No CID change needed :D

Phil

Guest merwin
already said this about 4 posts up merwin :D and nice work for modding it for everybody :D wasnt sure who did it or i would have given you the credit :D

Phil

LOL, I noticed your comment right after I posted it. I figured I'd leave it since it added specific instructions :D

Guest Monolithix (MVP)
Got a decerted by default c600 aku2 rom. it also accepts changes made by regeditSTG.exe :D

Can be found HERE

No CID change needed :D

Phil

Thanks, however i was planning on trying the latest O ROM to see if it *really* sorts out joystick probelms :D

Guest The Doctor
Thanks, however i was planning on trying the latest O ROM to see if it *really* sorts out joystick probelms :D

doubt it :D sounds more like a dust issue. stuff getting in and clogging the microswitches on the joystick. try blowing air down the side of the joystick or just lock your keypad and maul it around with your thumb for a bit :D works for me lol

Phil