Skype for the Prophet/JAMin/S200/M600 that works

Guest dannyoneill

Guest dannyoneill

As most of us know any version of Skype you run on your Prophet based device just will not work for voice, not without overclocking anyway. Well there is an answer in the form of a simple registry change but if your into the simple life ive made things even easier. Below is an install which will install skype that will work on the Prophet/JAMin/M600/S200.

What is it?

Its just the bog standard Skype 2.0.0.51 from skype.com but I added the registry keys required to acutally get it working on this device. I also added the Today plugin from the new Skype 2.1 beta.

How?

1. Remove any existing Skype install

2. Click here to Download Skype for Prophet and run the CAB file on your device

3. Launch skype and logon

Ive also made a seperate download to add the today plugin found in the 2.1 Beta for those that dont want to fully re-install. Click to Download the Plugin

Guest budadank
As most of us know any version of Skype you run on your Prophet based device just will not work for voice, not without overclocking anyway. Well there is an answer in the form of a simple registry change but if your into the simple life ive made things even easier. Below is an install which will install skype that will work on the Prophet/JAMin/M600/S200.

What is it?

Its just the bog standard Skype 2.0.0.51 from skype.com but I added the registry keys required to acutally get it working on this device. I also added the Today plugin from the new Skype 2.1 beta.

How?

1. Remove any existing Skype install

2. Click here to Download Skype for Prophet and run the CAB file on your device

3. Launch skype and logon

Ive also made a seperate download to add the today plugin found in the 2.1 Beta for those that dont want to fully re-install. Click to Download the Plugin

That's great dannyoneill! However, can you share the registry changes with us please before I go ahead and install this? I like to know what changes I'm making to my device. :D

Guest dannyoneill

No probs.

The following is the change to get the thing to just work:

HKLM\Software\Skype\Phone\Audio\ and set the DisableCodecs value to read ILBC G729 EG711U

Attached Zip includes a reg file you can just import.

This forces Skype to use the EG711A codec, this requires very little power. The voice incoming is perfect, just perfect but outgoing becomes more monotone but totally usable. They can hear you. The other downside is Skype for Linux only supports G729 codec but leaving that enabled is what kills Skype. echo123 the test call runs on Skype Linux so you cant use that. But seeing as all my contacts and most peoples run skype for windows all is well.

The second change is to add the Skype Today plugin. It adds a few entrys to the following key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today if you dont want it just untick it from the today screen settings or delete that key. It loads a DLL that is included in the Skype 2.1 beta.

Thats it, the install is just the bog standard Skype for Low CPU devices but with the added DLL for today and the registry change above but most are unable to make such changes so I just made it simple. If you want to just get it working without installing just make the first registry change.

Also included a screenshot of the Today plugin, nothing exciting.

Audio.zip

post-202475-1156516758_thumb.jpg

Edited by dannyoneill

Guest dannyoneill

It will work fine, I took the fix from the Wizard forums over at xda-developers.com

It is the same install the wizard would use, it has the same processor, will work 100% no doubts.

Guest dannyoneill
Skype already works fine on my M600.

Downloaded it straight from the Skype website and runs. with speech no problem.

Cheers Bri

Are you sure its not overclocked and speech is clear? It worked for me before but it was so bitty and broken it was just a joke. With this fix it means the speech is smooth all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NCC-1701
Cheers, I thought as much anyway, will give it a go tonight :-)

Did you give it a go? Did it work for you?

I have just installed this on my T Mob Vario & I think I can do Skype out (ie to another land line or mobile, but I cant get Skype in to work :D Instant messaging seems to work ok, so its just the incoming calls.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong??????

Been trying to talk with my brother who also has an M600, and the problem we both have is that the sound seems to becoming through the speaker phone rather than the usual phone setting and is distorting. If we phone from M600 to computer using headset the sound is fine, but M600 to M600 it is terrible.

Is there someway to set Skype to not use the speaker phone setting?

Also do you guys find it better to use the echo cancellation setting, or not?

Thanks for any info.

Guest dannyoneill

there is no way to have it work through the phone speaker, its a different thing altogether to get that working.

The only solution is turn the volume down and turn the phone around so that speaker is to your ear.

Or use a handsfree either wired or bluetooth.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest surfheli

I have installed this edited version of skpe and, on my M600, incomming speech is excellent but im told my outgoing speech is very broken. It would seem this is not the case for other M600 users?

Guest dannyoneill

Incoming is indeed fine but outgoing will sound very monotone and flat. Your voice will not sound much like your voice but you can have a conversation.

The choices are.

1) Install skype as it is and use it for text chat only

or

2) Install the modified skype that you can use for text chat AND conversations although with some limitations.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dannyoneill

they will never release a really slow version as the only way to really get it to work is use a poor quality codec, which is what this hack does but then you loose support for calls to linux clients and voices sound monotone. Skype would never do this on an official level.

they will never release a really slow version as the only way to really get it to work is use a poor quality codec, which is what this hack does but then you loose support for calls to linux clients and voices sound monotone. Skype would never do this on an official level.

Hi,

Before I install this, can someone tell me if this only works over a wifi connection or if it works on GPRS, do you dial up first to that somehow?

If it is for WIFI connections only then is there really any advantage or point to doing it because you will presumably be able to use your laptop or pc with better results?

Thanks,

Steve

Guest surfheli
Hi,

Before I install this, can someone tell me if this only works over a wifi connection or if it works on GPRS, do you dial up first to that somehow?

If it is for WIFI connections only then is there really any advantage or point to doing it because you will presumably be able to use your laptop or pc with better results?

Thanks,

Steve

true, but what you get is a wireless skpe phone! I belive wireless is used in prefernece to gprs when availiable

Guest slimgym

> If it is for WIFI connections only then is there really any advantage or point to doing it

Friend of mine has an XDA of some sort and finds it invaluable, around mates houses he can make free calls etc with no other equipment necessary. I was in south africa on business a while back with free wi-fi in the hotel and again something IP based would let me make free calls back to the UK. To be able to get to this on an SP5 would be a big advantage, no further kit necessary to get cheap or free calls :rolleyes:

Guest dannyoneill

No matter what PDA you have it will never work on GPRS. It just uses too much bandwidth and wouldnt be cost effective either. You need at least a full speed 64kbps to use this, which is ISDN speeds. GPRS is 56kbps ASSUMING you get a full speed connection which you are not guranteed.

No matter what PDA you have it will never work on GPRS. It just uses too much bandwidth and wouldnt be cost effective either. You need at least a full speed 64kbps to use this, which is ISDN speeds. GPRS is 56kbps ASSUMING you get a full speed connection which you are not guranteed.

Ok, so its WAN only and outgoing only, cant see how I am going to use it. Dont get me wrong im really impressed with what youve done. And its quite a buzz the first call you make to try it and realise what you are achieving. but in real life its too restrictive. It doesnt work with 'skype in' so my skype number wont work on this pda/skype setup. So I find mysel still having to buy a linksys

Guest dannyoneill
Ok, so its WAN only and outgoing only, cant see how I am going to use it. Dont get me wrong im really impressed with what youve done. And its quite a buzz the first call you make to try it and realise what you are achieving. but in real life its too restrictive. It doesnt work with 'skype in' so my skype number wont work on this pda/skype setup. So I find mysel still having to buy a linksys

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dos anyone still have the 2.0 version of skype for pda?

2.1 is using more and more cpu.

2.0 was working fine on my xda neo (prophet), 2.1 (even with disabled codecs) is not that good to me

where can I download an older version?

thanks

Edited by Andy16