New FREE Utility - NoData

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Here's a quick, handy little application i've rustled up as i'm off abroad for a few days soon, and don't want to run up a huge GPRS bill.

It lists your GPRS connections, and allows you to disable them so that they won't be used.

Disable your connections before you leave, re-enable them when you return - piece of cake with MoDaCo NoData :rolleyes:

Note that if you get bizarre registry errors on toggling, you need to app unlock your device (e.g. with SDA Application Unlocker).

Enjoy, feedback welcomed! If you use the CAB, please consider donating £1 to my 'quidapps' effort to develop cheap, useful applications and tweaks - click here to donate. Donations will be used specifically to buy development tools to enable slicker and more advanced tweaks and applications in the future while retaining a £1 price point!

P

[Edit 15/01/08: Now added Smartphone support (finally)!]

[Edit 29/03/08: Minor update]

nodata.cab

Man that is EXACTLY what i was looking for

Out of interest How does it actually do this. does it change the connect settings so it the connection eg t-mobile internet dials a non existant connection and then when toggled back changes it back to the original??

either way brilliant thanks very much for this.

Out of interest if no data is enabled and im on holiday abroad. but have the phone on to recieve calls and texts. will pocket outlook which i have 3 email accounts set up on come up with error messages every 15 mins (the refresh time of my email accounts)

i hope not

JEREMY

Guest Paul (MVP)

The application interrogates the registry to list the connections, then toggles the 'enabled' value on the connection between 1 and 0.

If it is set to 0, the device does not try to connect it.

With regards to the timed sync, I think it will just 'not happen' (that seems to be the case with DirectPush too). Only one way to find out tho eh?

:rolleyes:

P

Just been installing a few of the freebies for my new SPV M3100 and have to say thanks for a great site :rolleyes:

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong with the no data utility but I get 3 options (Orange GPRS WAP, Orange Internet and Orange MMS). When I try to disable GPRS it actually disables MMS and I can't seem to get any other combination working.

Is this just a M3100 thing do you think?

Guest gingerprince

Word of notice when roaming. I just got back from the states - I had the GPRS monitor running to make sure nothing was downloading, and every now and then it'd register a few hundred K - quite often when I tried to connect to the hotel WiFi and it missed - it's start to dial and I'd cancel. However looking at my t-mobile bill it hasn't (thus far) actually logged any activity. So either it didn't actually download anything (and the GPRS monitor is confused) or it takes a while for roaming data charges to be transferred (even though the voice calls already have).

Just a point of note.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Just been installing a few of the freebies for my new SPV M3100 and have to say thanks for a great site :(

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong with the no data utility but I get 3 options (Orange GPRS WAP, Orange Internet and Orange MMS). When I try to disable GPRS it actually disables MMS and I can't seem to get any other combination working.

Is this just a M3100 thing do you think?

The one you need to disable is 'Orange Internet' :rolleyes:

P

The one you need to disable is 'Orange Internet' :rolleyes:

P

Thanks for the reply.

When I try to toggle 'Orange Internet' it actually disables 'Orange MMS'. In fact, no matter what I toggle it only ever seems to disable the MMS function - weird!

Any ideas?

TIA

Guest StGeorge

thanks paul, this looks perfect as am just checking in to fly out to boston! one problem, when I try and download it using IE on my M3100 the resulting file is index.php and I cannot rename it in file explorer as the file extension is hidden?

cheers.....

ed

Guest nevawlkalone
thanks paul, this looks perfect as am just checking in to fly out to boston! one problem, when I try and download it using IE on my M3100 the resulting file is index.php and I cannot rename it in file explorer as the file extension is hidden?

cheers.....

ed

Try to right click and save target as...

this happened to me over at coolsmartphone and this was the solution...

HTH

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest FlangeArtist

Is it possible to increase the functionality of this nice little utility?

Like most people, I have set-up automatic retreival of email (PUSH or POP). Currently that run's all day at a selected interval (for me every hour). However this is bloody anoying when at 1 or 2am you receive an email, and you get awoken by the alert!

So, is it possible that functionality could be added that would allow the user to indicate hours of operation? Such as for each day, you could say allow connection between times?

For Example:

Mon-Fri: Allow 06:00 until 22:00

Sat-Sun: Allow 10:00 until 22:00