New FREE Utility - NoData

Guest PaulOBrien

hi paul

I've tried to download it on my vario 2 via pie and it downloads index.php too and doesn't actually get the cab file

although it'll probably work fine on my desktop pc but it doesn't download on the vario 2

Jeremy

Guest NCC-1701
Does this work on Wizard? (MDA Vario)

Tried it on my Wizard & it seems to work very well. For me the acid test comes next week when I go to Europe for a few days.

The time schedule idea / request sounds good too. Nothing worse than using the phone as an alarm clock only to be woken by an email in the middle of the night.

Keep up the good work & thanks.

Guest Snoopstah

A simple but brilliant program - going on holiday on Monday and this is exactly what I was looking for!

If I was to make one small comment, it's that while it works fine in landscape mode, it's not as pretty :rolleyes:

Ah yus, haven't used the fancy landscape switching control.

Might do a new version since it seems to be a useful app :(

P

I really appreciate this, I tried it out last night and it worked fine thanks! Now, I have a 'data-free' sleep and can still leave my phone on! Plus, I'm off to Greece this weekend! Huzzah!

Two things: any extra work you put into this I think would be greatly appreciated; and also, I'm not sure about your comments on the Orange connections earlier in this thread - my unit has been connecting to the net thru 'Orange GPRS WAP' and not 'Orange Internet'. I don't know if this has necessarily caused me an issue, but my bill was wrong and I am now thinking I should have disabled/deleted the WAP connection and left just the Internet one. Orange are not clear on this :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FlangeArtist
Is it possible to increase the functionality of this nice little utility?

...snip...

So, is it possible that functionality could be added that would allow the user to indicate hours of operation? Such as for each day, you could say allow connection between times?

For Example:

Mon-Fri: Allow 06:00 until 22:00

Sat-Sun: Allow 10:00 until 22:00

Paul,

Have you had a look at adding the above functionality? If you don't have time, would it be possible to let some other 'developer' have a go, using your code as a base? Me=C#, .NET Developer

• 3 weeks later...
Guest abc123mda

Newbie here - been looking how to do this for ages - not for when im abroad - though this would be good but for when i am home and waning to use WIFI not GPRS (especially for my directpush emails)

Quick question for you - how do I install this programme onto my VARIOII?

Many thanks

Edited by abc123mda

Guest richard_d
Newbie here - been looking how to do this for ages - not for when im abroad - though this would be good but for when i am home and waning to use WIFI not GPRS (especially for my directpush emails)

Quick question for you - how do I install this programme onto my VARIOII?

Many thanks

Just copy the cab file onto your device using ActiveSync. On your device use file explorer to find the cab, then double click on it to install it.

Guest abc123mda
Just copy the cab file onto your device using ActiveSync. On your device use file explorer to find the cab, then double click on it to install it.

thanks - do i need to copy all 3 files onto the device?

Guest -=WOLFIE=-

Hi all, i have just got a XDA Mini S on O2, which is a fantasic bit of kit, i love the fact that i can surf the net and read my E-Mail over the WiFi, which leads me to the point of this post!. this might sound like a REALLY stupid question but how do i know if the GPRS system is active? as i want to turn the thing of as i dont want to use it at all.

I tried to install the Disable GPRS program, but when i try and run it it throws up a error message like "

ERROR, An unexpected error has occurred in NoData.exe.

Select Quit and then restart this program, or selet Details for more informaation"

so i restart and it still say the same thing.

Any clues?

Also how do i remove the O2 programs? i really dont want or need most of them.

Thanks! :)

Hi all, i have just got a XDA Mini S on O2, which is a fantasic bit of kit, i love the fact that i can surf the net and read my E-Mail over the WiFi, which leads me to the point of this post!. this might sound like a REALLY stupid question but how do i know if the GPRS system is active? as i want to turn the thing of as i dont want to use it at all.

I tried to install the Disable GPRS program, but when i try and run it it throws up a error message like "

Select Quit and then restart this program, or selet Details for more informaation"

Any clues?

Also how do i remove the O2 programs? i really dont want or need most of them.

Thanks! :)

Have you installed the CAB file properly? Don't open CABs on your PC - copy the archive straight onto your PPC and install it from there using a file explorer, or use the CABViaActiveSync utility provided in "Paul's free software" in this forum (hermes.modaco.com).

Your other questions can be answered a) by RTFM, and :P not on this thread! :D

Guest -=WOLFIE=-
Have you installed the CAB file properly? Don't open CABs on your PC - copy the archive straight onto your PPC and install it from there using a file explorer, or use the CABViaActiveSync utility provided in "Paul's free software" in this forum (hermes.modaco.com).

Your other questions can be answered a) by RTFM, and :P not on this thread! :D

thanks i will give that a try, and sorry about that add-on question, i should know better!! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest llch_81
Quick, handy little application i've rustled up as i'm off abroad for a few days soon, and don't want to run up a huge GPRS bill.

It lists your GPRS connections, and allows you to disable them so that they won't be used.

Disable your connections before you leave, re-enable them when you return - piece of cake with MoDaCo NoData :)

P

you're da man!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ReScorpio

I have the same error (also here). O2 Xda Mini S, Win Mobile 5.1.195 (Build 14847.2.0.0).

Problem solved: it turned out that error occured because there were no GPRS connections set up in the system. After adding one everything went fine.

Thanks for a great program!

Edited by ReScorpio

Guest unitzero

Cheers mate!

After recieving my Orbit i was doing fine with just turning wifi on when i got to work/when i got home, I accidently installed O2's settings and the GPRS fired up every now and then when i opened Hotmail, msn messenger etc. Before this started to cost me a fortune with O2's ridiculous data charges I had a look on this forum and voila! you made me the program i needed! Great, thanks again.

Cheers mate!

After recieving my Orbit i was doing fine with just turning wifi on when i got to work/when i got home, I accidently installed O2's settings and the GPRS fired up every now and then when i opened Hotmail, msn messenger etc. Before this started to cost me a fortune with O2's ridiculous data charges I had a look on this forum and voila! you made me the program i needed! Great, thanks again.

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for a very useful tool (I have been reading a lot of ModaCO posts during last week - I have just gotten a new TyTN and I try to learn new tricks specific to the phone functions - these forums are really terrific!). I have a small question: I have already installed GB-SOft Tweak nad I have the impression that this applet already provides this function or am I missing something (I do not yet understand all the implications of the new GPRS possibilities on my TyTN)?

Best regards,

Murat

Guest RPM 777
Word of notice when roaming. I just got back from the states - I had the GPRS monitor running to make sure nothing was downloading, and every now and then it'd register a few hundred K - quite often when I tried to connect to the hotel WiFi and it missed - it's start to dial and I'd cancel. However looking at my t-mobile bill it hasn't (thus far) actually logged any activity. So either it didn't actually download anything (and the GPRS monitor is confused) or it takes a while for roaming data charges to be transferred (even though the voice calls already have).

Just a point of note.

In my experience, GPRS Monitor doesn't predict my T-Mo USA data usage well at all. I compared 6 weeks of use. GPRS monitor was on average 25% higher, but there were days that T-Mo said I was 33% higher than GPRS Monitor. It was definitely correlated (p=.7) but wildly inaccurate. I emailed the company, was forwarded to a tech, who said 'how could we possibly be accurate for every one of the hundreds of cell providers.' I asked for a refund.

Now what is interesting is why. First, GPRS monitor attempts to track all usage, some of which is overhead and the companies aren't including in billing. But at the same time, the companies seem to be estimating data usage and not recording it exactly. I suspect that GPRS Monitor is in fact accurate (although including unbilled overhead). If I left my data connection enabled but unused for a day (I did a hard reset to insure nothing was connecting), T-Mobile said I used a small amount of data (4K). GPRS monitor said I used about 12K. Now the only thing that was running was GPRS monitor and keeping my connection alive with the registry hack.

By the way, the palm Treo doesn't have the problem of data overuse at all. Checking email with a treo, I used 20% of the data I use with the T-Mo MDA, doing precisely the same thing on the same volume of data. Checking email when there are existing emails on the server uses a lot of data in Windows Mobile, not in Palm.

Thanks for the program; I will use it traveling. The one sure way not to be overcharged is to have GPRS off.

Guest dunroamin

Just like to add my thanks for this great utility.

My wife got an o2 xda mini mainly to use the keyboard for texting, she doesn't use gprs so i got round it at first by using a dummy connection so it failed every time. This was a bit of a kludge so I l looked a bit further & found that the

connections could be disabled in the registry - I tried a remote reg editor but it would not let me change the keys. Then I found this!

Brilliant - Now I can turn all gprs connections off quickly & easily and back on again if we ever need to use it.

I do find it pretty awful that there isn't a built in setting to do this. Anyone who doesn't understand the technology (i.e. my wife) could inadvertantly run up huge bills!

Guest gollyman

Just downloaded this utility . exactly what I was looking for ... And amazingly I installed it properly first time Paul so no need for my usual daft questions :-) ..

Cheers mate, great util. Will

Guest Svoms

I tired using this on my Dash with WM5 and I can't get it to work? Other people have told me to download this to disable gprs. Thanks