Orange Issues - Post your complaints here

Guest Orange Issues

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I'd have to echo the above.

- CS taking hours (no exaggeration) to answer, and being badly trained. I asked for the World Cup Unlimited bundle over the summer which the CSR assured me had been applied when i asked. Next bill - no sign of ANY changed.

- Unlimited data plan. Personally i think the devices and plans are pretty good atm. The reason i'll leave Orange at my next upgrade will be the lack of a reasonably priced unlimited data plan.

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Also NikLP - The WAP usage is if you used the old-style dialup access. This IS still possible on any WM handset. Are you using the phone that came with your contract and with an Orange ROM? I've had similar issues in the past with non-Orange devices defaulting to WAP access, its still paid per min afaik!

Guest Confucious
I've got a bloody complaint alright, having just received my first bill since getting the """""unlimited""""" bandwidth installed on my contract.

I'll assume despite the slightly fuzzy image that its impact will be no less dramatic. I'm absolutely fuming and now I've got to try and get the money back from the idiots who don't know that WAP and INTERNET are the same thing. Why the hell are they measuring these differently, and how the hell are we supposed to know what's what, if it's called "Orange World Browsing"?

IDIOTS!!

The way I understand OWU is that it is unlimited EXCEPT when a black cat is within 20 yards of you OR the wind is blowing from the South East except on Thursdays when it's the North West.

I could be wrong.....

The way I understand OWU is that it is unlimited EXCEPT when a black cat is within 20 yards of you OR the wind is blowing from the South East except on Thursdays when it's the North West.

I could be wrong.....

Yes, but it was a Blue Moon, and I was wearing the correct garters!

To you foolish detractors above, go read the THIRTY PAGE thread on the matter HERE - more specifically (in relation to my previous comments above), this post.

I have contacted Orange (Premier) and they THINK it was an error, but they're not sure. Either way the bill doesn't look right... but I will hopefully getting my money back.

In light of the problems I've had, should I be disabling one of my connections? I've got Orange World containing 'Orange GPRS/WAP' and 'Orange Internet', but what's the difference? It's set up on auto pick. PM me if this is too off topic, thanks.

Edited by NikLP

This may not be constructive criticism, but I'm so glad I left Orange.

I was an O customer for 10 years. For the last 5 years, I was a big spender.

Did O reward me? NOPE! People joining O on low end contracts were getting better deals than me.

Furthermore, the customer service people were useless. I got all my Orange network information from the Modaco website. I would get a different answer from the CS people... no consistency whatsoever.

And the data charges were criminal!

I have now cut my phone bill from approximately

No mention of the Orange World Unlimited either in present or discontinued plans/services as far as I can see.

Hell's Bells...! IT'S NOT ON ANY LISTS, that's why no-one has got the damn plan apart from a few!

We lucky few...

Guest Orange Issues
AFAIK "Orange Issues" is not the official replacement for "Mr Orange"

Please correct me if I'm wrong

yes that is correct. :-) Mr O is still very much Mr O!

I've got a bloody complaint alright, having just received my first bill since getting the """""unlimited""""" bandwidth installed on my contract.

I'll assume despite the slightly fuzzy image that its impact will be no less dramatic. I'm absolutely fuming and now I've got to try and get the money back from the idiots who don't know that WAP and INTERNET are the same thing. Why the hell are they measuring these differently, and how the hell are we supposed to know what's what, if it's called "Orange World Browsing"?

IDIOTS!!

Not the first person to report a problem with OWU Nik and I will guarantee not the last. The fact no one in OCS even knew the product existed, I was given a multitude of different explanations as to whether it was full internet or WAP only or what this represented and O do not mail out a contract stating T&C's when you upgrade did not fill me with one iota of confidence and helped push me over to TMob. So far, so very happy.

Guest Orange Issues
Oops. Next!

please read all - check your preferred connection on the phone before connecting.

WAP

What is it?

Short for the Wireless Application Protocol, a secure specification that allows users to access information via mobile phones.

WAP is not the internet. (Although some handsets do have additional capability to allow internet sites to be viewed).

WAP is the standard for how content from the Internet is filtered for mobile communications.

Ericsson, Nokia, Motorola and unwired planet(now phone.com) founded the WAP forum in 1997. The first WAP phone on orange was the Nokia 7110e and was launched in 1999.

How does it work?

WAP uses WML (Wireless Mark-up Language) which is the format in which the information will be displayed on the screen. This is supported by almost every mobile phone browser around the world HTML (Hyper Text Mark-up Language) is what computers use when displaying internet pages.

There are 2 methods to connect to WAP.

CSD

This is when the customer

Guest Confucious

With all due respect Orange Issues - we know the definitions but do Orange?

Orange GPRS/WAP' and 'Orange Internet' are both GPRS connections and not CSD. OWU specifically says WAP only or Orange World Only but no details of which connection to use or what the differences are, no one uses WAP unless they have a very old phone and can't use http!

What are the terms of OWU? Why do some people get it and others not? What is included and what isn't?

The answers to these questions would probably help.

Guest xrchris

I have used Orange for many years and never had a problem with CS always managed to get through within a few minutes and on the 2 occasions my phone (K750i) broke down i was couriered a replacement next day. This damn impressed me as never had such a good service from any company i have ever dealt with in the past.

However, i have now left Orange for TMob as they were blitzed bt the package i got through them. Vario II for

Guest chucky.egg

This is guess work, but makes sense to me and seems like it's probably how Orange do it: ...

WAP usage is anything that goes through the wap APN. How you get billed will depend on your tariff, and whether you have an off peak bundle.

'Internet' will be anything that goes through the internet APN.

What orange should do, and their staff should know, is describe the services (Such as email or browsing) and crucially which APN that service uses.

The fact that they don't/can't/won't do this clearly, for those that can understand this info, suggests that they are either trying to mislead people or just aren't trying to be clear.

I had errors on my data charges once and like NikLP's bill they made no sense whatsoever.

Nik used 83Mb of his OWU bundle. In data charges he has been charged for 90Mb of WAP and a few Mb of Orange Internet. If OWU relates to WAP data he shouldn't be ccharged for that or if it is all GPRS data then no data charges should appear. The only way to get things to work as billed is if he has got OUW off peak but that is not mentioned in the T&C's, IIRC.

As I say none of the numbers added up on one of my data bills but since they keep no record of access times and the like it was impossible to say what had or hadn't been fairly charged.

Guest jimbouk

As someone else said - make sure your connection uses the orangeinternet APN. That will avoid any wap charges.

This whole issue highlights that different parts of O use the term WAP differently.

I had errors on my data charges once and like NikLP's bill they made no sense whatsoever.

Nik used 83Mb of his OWU bundle. In data charges he has been charged for 90Mb of WAP and a few Mb of Orange Internet. If OWU relates to WAP data he shouldn't be ccharged for that or if it is all GPRS data then no data charges should appear. The only way to get things to work as billed is if he has got OUW off peak but that is not mentioned in the T&C's, IIRC.

As I say none of the numbers added up on one of my data bills but since they keep no record of access times and the like it was impossible to say what had or hadn't been fairly charged.

Well... it's to do with this, but I don't know what caused it. This is the (horrifically concise) reading from my gprs monitoring software for 9am to 6pm on the day in question.

(yyyy|m|dd|hr|up?|down?|summat else)

2006|9|22|9|222251|179800|42451

2006|9|22|10|75034|51959|23075

2006|9|22|11|34691|19683|15008

2006|9|22|12|7703224|7395877|307347

2006|9|22|13|8637798|8385255|252543

2006|9|22|14|140285|62637|77648

2006|9|22|17|234965|178658|56307

2006|9|22|18|126929|96624|30305

As you can see the data peaks 'somewhat' during the hours of 12-14:00. God only knows where it came from. Their software says I was connected like five times simultaneously or something?!

I hope it wasn't me doing anything outside the T&C's... I can't see how it would be that though? (let me know if you think it is though for god's sake!!)

Edited by NikLP

As someone else said - make sure your connection uses the orangeinternet APN. That will avoid any wap charges.

This whole issue highlights that different parts of O use the term WAP differently.

Are you suggesting deleting the connection 'Orange GPRS WAP' and leaving 'Orange Internet'?

The APN names are different, but the unit (out of the box) connects automatically to 'Orange GPRS WAP'!

I don't know if this is the problem or what, but I used NoData last night to disable the WAP APN and switched GPRS monitoring over to the Internet connection.

I suppose it would help if Orange had a single frickin' iota of a clue about this themselves...

In terms of this thread I guess the big gripe is the lack of a transparent, cheap 'unlimited' data package on O. Given that a year ago I can barely think of anyone who was on TMob and now many people upgrading to a data device have moved operator this is definitely haemorageing your customers. Given that many people would consider even 100Mb 'unlimited' in terms of their general mobile access O should really be able to provide this AT LEAST as a match to W&W.

Guest drummer
Are you suggesting deleting the connection 'Orange GPRS WAP' and leaving 'Orange Internet'?

The APN names are different, but the unit (out of the box) connects automatically to 'Orange GPRS WAP'!

I don't know if this is the problem or what, but I used NoData last night to disable the WAP APN and switched GPRS monitoring over to the Internet connection.

I suppose it would help if Orange had a single frickin' iota of a clue about this themselves...

Before I left O for T-Mob I was on the open access plan which gave me unlimited "wap" access for

Edited by drummer

Guest RT_Spruce
The point blank refusal to arrange a replacement or repair when a fault develops after 6 months. By law it is Orange's responsibility to do this but tghe supervisor I spoke to last week claimed that was not the case despite me reading the law verbatim from the DTI website. I am currently stuck with a C600 with a white screen (the 2nd time this has happened) and Orange won't do anything & HTC say it's for Orange to deal with(quite correctly). My only options appear to be claim on my phone insurance at a cost of

Guest hunyango_uk

i'm not going to say anyhing, my contract is due and cancel the number. (sigh) haaaaaaaaaaaaa...............

thank you, no more problems for orange. just glad i'm off orange and jump to tmo, me and my wife are with tmo now.

Just posted this in the Hermes section but would love to know the answer

"BTW, Orange charge you for leaving! I don't know the exact cost but as well as paying off the remaining month of that contract they also levy a fee. If you happen to transfer your number before day 30 of the PAC validity then they charge you on a per day basis. Bloody annoying and I would love to know the justifcation for it! In fact, I think I will ask Orange Issues."