emailing appointments direct from and to PPc

Guest Markda2000

Guest Markda2000

Is it possible to email an appointment from one WM5 device to another, so as the appointment will show up in each persons calender, without using activesync to the desktop. If not possible directly, is there any third party s.ware to do it.

Is it also possible to email tasks the same way?

Interesting idea, and I like the sound of it. No idea if it's possible, so I've tracked this topic.

I often email things to myself just so I can remember them the next day and add to calender. What you're suggesting would work so much better.

If both of you have an Exchange account, then yes. Free ones are available such as live.mail2web.com which means you get push mail, all your calendar, and contacts backed up and editable online, and when you send calendar events, it will send it as an appointment you can accept and have it automatically added to your schedule.

Guest chucky.egg

You don't need Push Email, you just need to know that all the people you send the meeting to have Outlook or a WM5 device (probably works with other PC clients, but I've not tried them)

When you schedule a meeting put the other people in as Attendees and it will send them an invite by email. The only thing you need for this is data access from your phone/PDA

If everyone has the right bits (may require Exchange, I don't know for sure) then the meeting arranger will also get confirmation of acceptance of the meeting.

Guest Markda2000
You don't need Push Email, you just need to know that all the people you send the meeting to have Outlook or a WM5 device (probably works with other PC clients, but I've not tried them)

When you schedule a meeting put the other people in as Attendees and it will send them an invite by email. The only thing you need for this is data access from your phone/PDA

If everyone has the right bits (may require Exchange, I don't know for sure) then the meeting arranger will also get confirmation of acceptance of the meeting.

Every time I have tried emailing an appointment to date, I get the email defaulting to the synched outlook folder, which will not get sent till I use active sync. I have not had an option to use another email account.

I run a very small business and do not have access to exchange server, and from what I have seen from the Push Email Clients they require that your own PC be switched on all the time, otherwise the service falls over.

Guest chucky.egg

Ah, OK.

Yes, appointment invites will be sent using the Outlook account by default. To use a different account go into Calendar, Menu, Options, Appointments tab and choose a different email account.

That may have other consequences though - the responses from attendees will almost certainly not be monitored in your Calendar (so it won't be able to tell you who has accepted and who hasn't) and there may be other issues too - I've never done it that way.

Push Email from a service provider does not require a PC at all (although it's easier to setup initially using a PC).

Any service that requires your PC to be on all the time is not "proper" push email, it's just some form of email forwarding.

Guest Markda2000
Ah, OK.

Yes, appointment invites will be sent using the Outlook account by default. To use a different account go into Calendar, Menu, Options, Appointments tab and choose a different email account.

That may have other consequences though - the responses from attendees will almost certainly not be monitored in your Calendar (so it won't be able to tell you who has accepted and who hasn't) and there may be other issues too - I've never done it that way.

Push Email from a service provider does not require a PC at all (although it's easier to setup initially using a PC).

Any service that requires your PC to be on all the time is not "proper" push email, it's just some form of email forwarding.

Thanks for the great advice.

Works a treat between mine and my wifes Hermes.

Meeting updates notify in the calander too.

Going to try ending receiving appointments between phone and Novel Groupwise tomorrow.

Then just need decent push email and things are looking up

:rolleyes:

Guest chucky.egg

Finding a good Push Email provider is slightly harder...

I have my domains with 1&1 (http://www.1&1.co.uk) so went to them for Push Email too. I did look around, but I wanted a provider in my country (UK) and a reasonable price.

If you already have your own domain name then it's easier to use your existing host, assuming their deals are what you are after.

One point to note:

Sync'ing with an Exchange server can (depending on the provider) require that you accept a Security Policy of their chosing on your devices. 1&1 do have a Policy like this, although they don't mention it anywhere on their site.

If you want to sync you have to accept the Policy (if there is one) at the time you first sync. If you don't accept the Policy it won't let you sync at all - it's that simple.

If you accept the Policy it also gives your service provider the option to force a Hard Reset on your device - known as a "remote wipe". You don't get an option to "decline" the Reset.

Specifically check that before you sign anything. Reputable hosts shouldn't be a problem, but effectively they can do it at any time so you should be aware of it.

Guest Markda2000

Just been checking out Emoze which claims to be Push Email, but that requires the PC to be on, so that one is ruled out.

Has anyone found any Push email service that works well.

Guest chucky.egg

1&1 works well, but with the security policy (which worries me a little)

Mail2web.com is free, and can collect email from other mailboxes, but requires you to use a [email protected] email address for any emails you send from it.

Those are the only 2 that I have heard reports on - there are loads of companies offering the service, but how do you spot a good one?

• 3 years later...
Guest chesterbro

i was going to start a new topic but came accross this thread...

has there been a fix or solution to sending a meeting invite to attendees automatically on the WM 6.5? i just got WM 6.5 and tried sending a meeting invite but it doesnt send anything out unless if i sync it with outlook on my PC. Even then it doesnt send it out automatically. i have to open the meeting and manually send it out.

it would be nice if the meeting invite can be sent directly from my WM 6.5.

Thanks,

ChesterBro

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chesterbro
i was going to start a new topic but came accross this thread...

has there been a fix or solution to sending a meeting invite to attendees automatically on the WM 6.5? i just got WM 6.5 and tried sending a meeting invite but it doesnt send anything out unless if i sync it with outlook on my PC. Even then it doesnt send it out automatically. i have to open the meeting and manually send it out.

it would be nice if the meeting invite can be sent directly from my WM 6.5.

Thanks,

ChesterBro

so i had to use google sync and just sync my google calendar so that this can work.