Replace screen on SP5 (Tornado) with screen from C550

Guest Dumela

Hi

Can anyone give me any pointers. I have the opportunity to acquire a SP5 with a broken screen. Everything else works a treat but the screen keeps cutting out after a few seconds. Apparently steam damage.

Anyway I have a C550 which for all intensive purposes seems to have an identical screen, infact I guess the rest of the internals are fairly identical apart from processor, wifi chip etc..

Can I take the working screen from the C550 and put it into the SP5? If so, am I likely to come across some soldering or will I be able to unplug/unclip the broken screen and replace it?

I have found instructions for case dis-assemply but unable to find info on screen replacement.

Thanks

Guest The Doctor
Hi

Can anyone give me any pointers. I have the opportunity to acquire a SP5 with a broken screen. Everything else works a treat but the screen keeps cutting out after a few seconds. Apparently steam damage.

Anyway I have a C550 which for all intensive purposes seems to have an identical screen, infact I guess the rest of the internals are fairly identical apart from processor, wifi chip etc..

Can I take the working screen from the C550 and put it into the SP5? If so, am I likely to come across some soldering or will I be able to unplug/unclip the broken screen and replace it?

I have found instructions for case dis-assemply but unable to find info on screen replacement.

Thanks

Both screens have identical part numbers so swapping them over will work with no problems.

As for how to do it.......

You will need to COMPLETELY disassemble both phones, gently lift up the screen from the top of the phone and unstick the orange cable from the underside for the screen at the edges. This will allow you to fold the screen completely over so its face down in effect. Then remove the yellow sticky tape from where the screen is plugged into the mainboard and using a small flat blade screwdriver flick up the small brown plastic latch on the connector and gentley pull the cable out of the socket.

Do the same on the other phone.

Now to replace the screen:

Take the screen and with the cable facing the right way up, insert it into the socket on the mainboard, you may need to bend the ribbon cable up and push against that to get it all the way into the socket, then after it is all the way in, press the small brown plastic latch back on top of the cable so it clicks securely into place. If you dont you will get white/multicoloured lines etc on the screen.

Repeat on the other phone then reassemble both phones.

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Any questions, just reply here or PM me :(

Phil

Wow

An answer and details on how to do it. Thanks a lot.

I'll say yes to the phone and have a go.

Very much appreciated. I'll let you knwo how I get on. :rolleyes:

Guest The Doctor
Wow

An answer and details on how to do it. Thanks a lot.

I'll say yes to the phone and have a go.

Very much appreciated. I'll let you knwo how I get on. :(

No problem :rolleyes: Happy to help :)

Phil