M$ exchange - Why is it so great?

Guest touficjohn

Guest touficjohn

Allot of people on this forum seem to be running their own exchange servers or signing up to some on the net.

I've seen it in action and played around with a free one a while back and I just dont get what is so great about it? I dont see whats so great about Outlook either - but thats a different story.

Can whoever uses exchange please tell me what makes it so good? Am I missing out on anything by syncing with my POP3 servers directly and only using outlook to sync contacts?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Here's what I like...

- All my mail / contacts / tasks / notes held remotely

- I can access them from my PC outlook or a web browser anywhere with a rich interface

- mail / contacts / tassks / notes PUSHED to my device. As well as push mail, if my other half puts an entry in my calendar, it's immediately pushed to my device

- When I get a new device I can have all my data on it in 2 minutes flat

- I can implement server side mail rules and spam filtering to ensure I get only the stuff I want on my device

I could never ever go back to non exchange now. I LOVE Outlook as a client and OWA (Outlook Web Access) is great too.

You just wait till you see what is coming in the next release of Windows Mobile for Exchange users too :rolleyes:

P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MikeWard1701

Hi folks, couple of questions regarding push email and exchange server.

Firstly, I've read my Vario II manual from cover to cover, and its left me wondering...

1) What happens to my pop3 emails server-side once i've read them on my vario? will they still download in outlook?

2) If I also sync my outlook email to my device will i end up with 2 copies of my mail?

3) Is direct push supported on gmail?

I'm guessing the answers to my questions are; 1) The email is marked as read and wont download into outlook. 2) Yes, I'll have two copies o all my mail. 3) Gmail doesn't suppport direct push.

Which I why I'm considering Exchange Server. If I understand it correctly and PLEASE do correct me if I'm wrong.

1) I setup my gmail accounts on the exchange server like i would in outlook.

2) When new mail arrives at gmail, its automatically downloaded by exchange server.

3) Exchange then pushes the email out to my device. (I'm guessing I need to leave the 3G connection connected permenantly.)

4) If I send email from my device, it goes to the exchange server, then out through gmail as it does in outlook.

I'd plan to build a budget spec 2nd computer (with upgrade potential) to run Windows Server, and wire it to my Netgear DG834G WirelessADSL Modem/Router.

Now for the questions...

1) How easy is it to setup?

2) When I'm back at home, will it work via WiFi?

3) Will a basic pc be enough o run Windows Server and Exchange server?

4) What version of server am I best going for? I'm guessing Small Business Server as it comes bundled with Exchange Server.

5) Is Exchange ActiveSync included with Exchange, or is it a seperate download?

I'll leave it at that before the post gets much bigger lol. This is my first venture into serious networking, but I'm looking forward to he experience, just hope the learning curve doesn't turn into a wall lol.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Currently I am using the mail2web free exchange hosting service.

I have my gmail account forward to my mail2web account. This causes the mail2web account to push that email to me. I then use Outlook on my PC to pop download from the gmail account. I don't sync email between my phone and Outlook on my PC because everything on my device (via Push) is also duplicated on my PC (via POP). The only downside to this is that emails I send from my Vario II originate from a mail2web domain (a restriction of the free account).

If you upgrade to the full approx $10/month pay-for service with mail2web (I tried the $6/month one but this seems to add very little functionality) then both your computers Outlook and the phones Outlook receive mail via Push over activesync, i.e. you don't have to use your POP any longer. Both Outlook and your phone will have the same mail delivered but if you delete an email it is also deleted from the other location. Contacts, calendar, etc are also updated in this fashion. Also, the mail2web domain can be changed to any other, i.e. to appear to originate from your gmail account.

Not trying to push mail2web btw, there are loads of providers who do this, they are just the only ones I have used.

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, I've read my Vario II manual from cover to cover, and its left me wondering...

1) What happens to my pop3 emails server-side once i've read them on my vario? will they still download in outlook?

2) If I also sync my outlook email to my device will i end up with 2 copies of my mail?

I'm guessing the answers to my questions are; 1) The email is marked as read and wont download into outlook. 2) Yes, I'll have two copies o all my mail. 3) Gmail doesn't suppport direct push.

Which I why I'm considering Exchange Server. If I understand it correctly and PLEASE do correct me if I'm wrong.

2) When new mail arrives at gmail, its automatically downloaded by exchange server.

3) Exchange then pushes the email out to my device. (I'm guessing I need to leave the 3G connection connected permenantly.)

4) If I send email from my device, it goes to the exchange server, then out through gmail as it does in outlook.

I'd plan to build a budget spec 2nd computer (with upgrade potential) to run Windows Server, and wire it to my Netgear DG834G WirelessADSL Modem/Router.

Now for the questions...

4) What version of server am I best going for? I'm guessing Small Business Server as it comes bundled with Exchange Server.

I'll leave it at that before the post gets much bigger lol. This is my first venture into serious networking, but I'm looking forward to he experience, just hope the learning curve doesn't turn into a wall lol.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Some good questions there. Anyone got any answers or advise.

I too am new to the whole instant email thing, and would love help on the matter.

i've also learned the magnificence of MS exchange server a while ago and was debating whether to use it.

i've some privacy concern regarding the exchange server. if i host all my schedules, notes and my pop3 accounts on the exchange server, will the admin of the exchange server has access to it?

As emails contain lots of personal info, like user id, password et cetera, i ain't sure if dats a good idea...

Guest eelco_akker
i've also learned the magnificence of MS exchange server a while ago and was debating whether to use it.

i've some privacy concern regarding the exchange server. if i host all my schedules, notes and my pop3 accounts on the exchange server, will the admin of the exchange server has access to it?

As emails contain lots of personal info, like user id, password et cetera, i ain't sure if dats a good idea...

The admin can't retrieve your POP3 password, but he can look into your mailbox, or give him self the rights he needs to have.

Eelco

Guest eelco_akker

If you download them to your vario, they are still on the POP3 server and will be downloaded, delete option when downloaded isn't an option in WM5, FlexMail 2007 can do it however. If you retieve the mail via Exchange it will sync your mail, if read on device, it's read on exchange

If you get the same mail from your POP3 in Outlook and then Sync, it will have 2 copies.

Nope, PPC should have a GMAIL Push client at that time

The Default Exchange Server does not have a POP3 Connector, you should buy MS SmallBusiness Server Instead, or purchase a POP Connetor for Exchange, like POPCON.

Nope, depending on the frequency your POP connection checks. Forwarding to your MS Exchange Adress would push the email though. But only when making use of MX-Records.

Correct, It checks via 'HeartBeat'

No the Exchange Server IS the mail/smtp server, you can create an additional SMTP Connector, wouldn't advise it though, MX Records are the way to go.

Now for the questions...

It's not too hard, You must have STATIC IP, MX Records should be activated for your domain by your host, forward port 25 on your router to your Exchange Server

Yes, but no pushmail, device goes standby, byebye wifi-connection

It can be enough, with small amount of users, PIV Proc. with 512MB ~ 1GB Ram is enough, however the more the better

SBS is limted to 75 users, Terminal Services isn't an option..., For you, SBS Version. Seperate WS2003 and ES2003 is pricy.

Included in Exchange SP2

Eelco

Guest Evilkern

Now for the questions...

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Right ok, i've been using direct push for a few months now with port88.org(free) which i wasn't really sure what i was getting into when i signed up, but i'm someone who likes to try all the features on their phone, even if i know they'll be absolutly no use to me what so ever! Direct Push however is very useful

Before using it i used pop3 and to be honest it wasn't that reliable and so when signed upto direct push was very impressed from the offset. Anyway, over to your questions

First lot of Questions

1)I used the gmail pop service first of all and so once i'd downloaded them onto my phone, although i could see them online still(as set in the gmail settings) they did NOT download into outlook on my pc, which was a bit of a pain. Also if you didn't set the pop to automatically download, it ended up lockin up sometimes if there was loads of emails.

2)By setting the automatic forwarding in gmail, this is how you set it to go on to port88, so you can either apply filters and be selective about what gets forwarded, or set it all to. Although i would imagine you may be able to do this via pop3 from the server instead, although on my service this is not available, so if someone else uses exchange and can add pop accounts, please say!

3)Direct Push isnt supported on gmail, it is a function of an exchange server - so if you wanted to use gmail would have to forward to your exchange accoutn via method above - otherwise ask!.

Almost, all apart from the last point which will send from your exchange address, unless they offer a service otherwise, having only used port88.org, i'm not sure if this is possible, i know with my service it isnt.
Now for the questions...

5) Is Exchange ActiveSync included with Exchange, or is it a separate download?

1)As far as ease of use goes, it shouldn't really be too difficult, the only problem will come if you dont have a static IP for your internet, as each times it changes you will need to reconfigure your device.

2) Not sure, mine doesnt work too well by wifi, not sure what difference it will make if your on the same network

3)You just need to follow the specs for windows server, although unless you'll have loads of users this isn't a massively high spec

4+5)Not sure about those questions! Sorry

Any more questions just ask!

EK

Edited by Evilkern