Paul Reviews... The i-mate SPL

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Pondrew
I currently have a SPV C550 (Tornado?)..

Just a small correction, the SPV C550 is an HTC Hurricane rather then a Tornado. Main differences being the Hurricane had an older operating system (WM2003 SE), older processor, and no wifi.

Guest saqmaster
Just a small correction, the SPV C550 is an HTC Hurricane rather then a Tornado. Main differences being the Hurricane had an older operating system (WM2003 SE), older processor, and no wifi.

.. does that mean the SPL (and/or even HTC S310) may not appear as slow as first thought compared to the C550?

Guest jp heuvel

Has anyone got any great App's foor this device? I've been playing with it since I received it this morning but the working software is hard to find.

Guest Pondrew
.. does that mean the SPL (and/or even HTC S310) may not appear as slow as first thought compared to the C550?

Maybe. All I can say for sure is that the OMAP 730 in the i-mate SPL is an older design of processor then the OMAP 750 in the SPV C550...

Guest van_dommele

Hey Paul,

It's worth to mention in your review that the taskmanager as to be found on the HTC/Qtek 8300 is missing. I'm using that piece of software a lot to keep it fast.

After a bit of googling I've downloaded Celetask and it works great (free space / battery info and ability of closing processes).

Rest of review is very good. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Van_Dommele

Hey Paul,

It's worth to mention in your review that the taskmanager as to be found on the HTC/Qtek 8300 is missing. I'm using that piece of software a lot to keep it fast.

After a bit of googling I've downloaded Celetask and it works great (free space / battery info and ability of closing processes).

Rest of review is very good. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Van_Dommele

Hi

the lack of a task manager is a bit dissapointing as I am afraid to say is the SPL. Got rid of my C600 and loved the compactness of the spl but it feels and looks cheap, and is notably slower than my c600 was. Thinking of a qtek 8500 is this notably faster. Dont run lots of apps just love the functionality of smartphones and hate the joystick on the c600 i had

• 3 months later...
Guest moonshot

Nice review Paul. It was good enough for me to rule out the SPL as a possible next phone, if it appeared soon on t-mobile.

With the key pad issue, you said

Of course, if I was a multi-tapper rather than a T9'er, I might not be so happy..

I'm glad you pointed this out because that is just not good enough.

Also, one of my gripes as you may remember from some of my other posts, is the weight of smartphones. The SPL is 7mm smaller in depth than the c600 and it has the flat keypad, yet it is only 3grams lighter than the c600.

So what is my point........................the c600 type of keypad works just fine, so why does the SPL have the flat type keypad? It's not to reduce the phones weight so it must be for looks rather than use.

Using a flat keypad i-mate have managed to create the illusion of a lighter mobile in return for a 'not so good keypad'. Unlike say Samsung who's flat key pad phones are that way for a reason........to make them much lighter.

Once again, where do c600 smartphone owners who want to upgrade go next. It seems that Microsoft have done their part creating the operating system but are being let down by the phone manufactures and network companies. Where are all the new non qwerty candybar, flip and slider smartphones that Nokia and SE and Others seem to produce so well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.