Dumb Question about 750v

Ok so i just got my treo today. I've been using it all day playing around to get the hang of it as this is my first palm and pocket pc in general.

Here's my dumb question now. How the hell do you turn the damn thing off? :rolleyes: I read the manual but i really, honestly cant seem to find anything about it. The only thing it says is how to turn the "phone" off. By phone they mean the radio (gsm, bluetooth). They refer to the device as "smartphone" in the manual. So i checked every page but nothing!

If i press the red power button once it turns the screen on and off but thats it. The phone... err sorry "smartphone" still works. People can call me etc. If i press and hold the red power button it just turns the radio on and off. I looked around in the settings but i still cant see any way to change this or whatever.

Am i missing something really obvious here? :(

Any help much appreciated!

Giannis

You "press and hold" the red power button, and this turns the phone off. Press and hold again to turn the phone back on.

You press the red power button (without holding it down) to put the device into sleep mode. What you see is that the screen goes off. This does not turn off the phone.

The device is never "totally off" as then it wouldn't be able to activate alarms you've set on appointments or do any number of other things that it may do automatically. Unless you take out the battery, that is.

This isn't specific to Windows Mobile devices - Palm OS devices work in a similar fashion.

You "press and hold" the red power button, and this turns the phone off. Press and hold again to turn the phone back on.

You press the red power button (without holding it down) to put the device into sleep mode. What you see is that the screen goes off. This does not turn off the phone.

The device is never "totally off" as then it wouldn't be able to activate alarms you've set on appointments or do any number of other things that it may do automatically. Unless you take out the battery, that is.

This isn't specific to Windows Mobile devices - Palm OS devices work in a similar fashion.

I see. So i really wasn't missing something. I didn't know there wasn't a completely off "mode". I like the sleep mode but i'd prefer it if i also had the option to completely switch the device off.

Thanks

Giannis

Guest derosnec

Actually this is quite unusual for a Phone Edition device. Usually you are able to take the device out of standby and into a cold shutdown mode.

As far as I know there is no way to completely turn off the Treo, but I'm not finding it that big a problem.

Actually this is quite unusual for a Phone Edition device. Usually you are able to take the device out of standby and into a cold shutdown mode.

Didn't know that. This my first Windows Mobile device.

In any case, if anyone cares for a well written if a little lengthy description of Smartphone and PocketPC power states, they can look at Mike Calligaro's MSDN blog entry.

• 4 months later...
Guest stripeycat

It is a bit odd, yes. My Treo 750 phone stays off sometimes even after i've tried reactivating it, and the only way to fire it up is remove the battery to hard boot it. SPH Shell has a nice function which is the Soft Reboot. Something you would have though Palm/Microsoft would have included in the software initially, though? All of my other HTC phones were rebootable from the OS.