Speed up your Dash/Excalibur

Guest jcjdoss

Guest jcjdoss

A hack for the Q that works for the Dash

"Moto Q Speed Increases (Note: Could this work for the Dash?)

The following 2 hacks increase system performance significantly for me. They make the Q much more responsive:

1.) Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\

Changed limit from 16384 to 32768

2.) Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS

Changed - CacheSize to 4096

NOTES: Some improvement, but not a significant amount, different users after reported better responses though (TechWhore)

CREDIT: jewalsh2k"

I ran some speed tests before and after the cache tweak. It only affected the storage card speeds.

before:

1200KB/s write

1650KB/s read

after:

1200KB/s write

8000KB/s read

The following 2 hacks increase system performance significantly for me. They make the Q much more responsive:

1.) Navigate to:

2.) Navigate to:

NOTES: Some improvement, but not a significant amount, different users after reported better responses though (TechWhore)

Guest jcjdoss
I ran some speed tests before and after the cache tweak. It only affected the storage card speeds.

before:

1200KB/s write

1650KB/s read

after:

1200KB/s write

8000KB/s read

Still a good thing, It'll speed up the programs we use off our cards :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jimizee

I think speed tests are deceptive. This reg hack doesn't actually "speed" up the dash, it simply increases certain memory cache which allows windows/menus to load faster.

I don't recomment number 2, the FATFS. You might have problems with activesync afterwards, and the speed increase on the second one is not really worth it.

1.) Navigate to:

2.) Navigate to:

I think speed tests are deceptive. This reg hack doesn't actually "speed" up the dash, it simply increases certain memory cache which allows windows/menus to load faster.

I would consider windows/menus loading faster a speed increase... It speeds up the display of windows and menus, right? :)

I don't recomment number 2, the FATFS. You might have problems with activesync afterwards, and the speed increase on the second one is not really worth it.

It's somewhere around 4 or 5 times faster read from the Storage Card with the hack. That's a significant increase indeed, and if it didn't cause problems for some people it would definitely be worth it.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...