The Samsung i607 'BlackJack' is imminent on Cingular!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Cingular customers rejoice... the very lovely SGH-i607 slim landscape Smartphone is set to go on sale in the next few days!

From Cingular:

Cingular, Samsung Have Ace in Hand With Launch of New BlackJack Smart Device

samsung-sgh-i607.jpg

NEW YORK, Nov. 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Cingular Wireless, Samsung and Microsoft unveiled the BlackJack™, a robust, slim smart device packed with the power and functionality desired by business customers and consumers alike. With the BlackJack™ customers can get rich entertainment features, powerful business applications and the familiar look and feel of Windows Mobile® 5.0, turbo-charged by Cingular's 3G-enabled BroadbandConnect service in an ultra-sleek design.

The stylish and compact BlackJack™ will be available exclusively from Cingular in the U.S. in mid-November for as low as $199.99. This ultra thin, 3G device features a fully integrated QWERTY keyboard with a large high-resolution QVGA color screen. Built to satisfy everyone from the music fan to the business user, BlackJack™ includes a bevy of cutting edge features:

• MP3 player and access to Cingular Music™, the most comprehensive music subscription service of its kind ever offered by a U.S. wireless carrier, including access to online subscription music content from Napster and Yahoo!
  • Cingular Video -- Cingular's on-demand streaming video service featuring exclusive content such as HBO
  • High speed internet browsing over Internet Explorer® optimized for Cingular's 3G and EDGE networks
  • 1.3 Mega pixel digital camera with video capture capabilities
  • Stereo Bluetooth® version 2.0 with stereo headset support
  • QWERTY keyboard for fast email and textingIn addition, the BlackJack™ provides users easy wireless access to business and personal email accounts through such solutions as Good Mobile Messaging, Microsoft Push Direct with Pocket Outlook and Cingular Xpress Mail. The BlackJack™ also offers over-the-air synchronization of calendar, contact and to-do lists, access to enterprise applications and superior music, photo and video capabilities. For more information, visit: http://www.cingular.com/

With 3G / HSDPA / 128MB ROM / New generation TI OMAP processor and coming in at 100g and under 12mm thick, the i607 is shaping up to be an awesome device!

So long as the 1000mAh battery can take the strain and deliver half decent standby, it could be the one to have.

P

Image courtesy of HowardForums

this is the device I've been waiting for for a long time. I got a dash as I was fed up waiting and I have to say I'm happy with my excalibur now so it will take some excellent reviews of the i600 to get me to swap.

Whats the next gen TI proc all about Paul? Higher clock rate?

I'm not to fond of the way its wider at the top and narrower at the bottom. Also battery life (as pointed out) could be its downfall, 3G drains the juice and IMHO providing a 2nd battery will not make up for crappy battery life (of course all that is just my speculation)

look forward to more info though

gr

Guest Paul (MVP)

Usual Samsung connector rather than miniUSB IIRC.

Don't know much about the OMAP 1710 TBH... I think what's significant is that it's 3G / UMTS / WiFi ready all in the one chip and should be far more power efficient than the chipsets we've seen in Windows Mobile 3G devices to date. I think it runs at up to 220MHz, but as we all know, it ain't all about the clock speed :D

I'm no expert however, so this is as I understand it :)

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Remember the reason why the Breeze / Hermes are relatively poor from a battery perspective is their dual chip arrangement, which as I understand it isn't the case on the i600.

This brings a LOT of efficiencies.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
After our experience with the Dash, we expected more from the BlackJack's battery life. With normal use, each charge only last about one and a half days. This is better than the performance of the Motorola Q, in that you can at least use your phone for a full day without having to recharge it, however you still can't leave home, even for just an overnight trip, without your charger.

Guest rklosinski

I usually get a day w/o charging on my i320, which is spec'ed at 5 days standby and 3 hours talk. The i607 is spec'ed at 11 days standby and 5 hours talk. So, it should be better, but we will see Thursday...

Guest Pondrew

Phonescoop are being a bit unfair comparing the 2G Dash's battery life with the 3G Blackjack's. Of course the Dash is going to last longer.

Still, a day and a half isn't great. Hmmm, was hoping for better from Texas Instruments integrated 3G processors.

Personally I've been waiting ages for Texas Instruments to deliver an integrated 3G processor solution.

Think now I'll wait for one which includes HSPDA! :)

Guest nickcornaglia

Here is a promotional video I found on Cingular while scouring their site and modifying URLs to try to find the launch pages!

COpy and paste this into your browser. (I can't make this post NOT add a "http://" in front of it)

mms://a1720.v16731c.c16731.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1720/16731/1163360/stream-1.onstreammedia.com/cdn_stream/multivu/6008/26058_56-150k.wmv

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.