MDA Compact III WiFi

Guest PaulOBrien

I use my i-mate SP5 Smartphone on the Openlink in Norwich (as on the Gadget Show) and it is fantastic. It seems a shame that the Council has gone to all this effort and expense while the amount of devices with this application seems to be dwindling. It would be much better if everyone pulled in the same direction. :)

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well, the bad news is that, despite my best efforts, it doesn't want to play :D

I guess the only way we'll know for sure is to either crack it open and see if the hardware is there or CID unlock with imei-check and flash on the HTC ROM, neither of which I fancy :)

The fact it is an ARTE110 rather than the ARTE100 of the P3300 makes me think it's a wifiless hardware revision :P

P

Guest Pondrew
The fact it is an ARTE110 rather than the ARTE100 of the P3300 makes me think it's a wifiless hardware revision :)

P

Ouch, T-Mobile really have turned evil. Can't see the MDA Compact III holding it's value very well against the other HTC Artemis incarnations...

Guest debully
Well, the bad news is that, despite my best efforts, it doesn't want to play :D

I guess the only way we'll know for sure is to either crack it open and see if the hardware is there or CID unlock with imei-check and flash on the HTC ROM, neither of which I fancy :)

The fact it is an ARTE110 rather than the ARTE100 of the P3300 makes me think it's a wifiless hardware revision :P

P

msmobiles has an article saying that the MDACIII has no 3G and no WI-FI so dont buy it!

Personally, I'm waiting for o2's variant which has the wi-fi and is miles better looking - o2 have sorted their insurance now too, so no need to stay with Orange anymore. Shame the data tarifs aint upto TMobs excellant standard but hey.

Theres a link on msmobiles to a decent review of the o2 variant - certainly convinced me to get one, didnt realise that the artemis is actually smaller than my magician.

Edited by debully

Theres a link on msmobiles to a decent review of the o2 variant - certainly convinced me to get one, didnt realise that the artemis is actually smaller than my wizard.

Just read this review and have to agree, this could be my next phone...

Like the styling changes etc.... looks like a switch back to O2 is on the cards..

Cheers debully

Gaz

Guest debully
Just read this review and have to agree, this could be my next phone...

Like the styling changes etc.... looks like a switch back to O2 is on the cards..

Cheers debully

Gaz

no problem.

I meant to say smaller than my magician rather than wizard!

Editied my quote but your quote highlights my 'ickle balls-up. :-) The joys of t'internet.

Guest cactusbob

It would be interesting to know the details for the Dutch (I think) T-Mobile version of the device. Which I believe has Wi-Fi enabled.

The O2 variant, which has WiFi is ARTE200.

I really doubt that the hardware is any different

Guest Pondrew
I really doubt that the hardware is any different

Unfortunately HTC don't tend to give different model numbers UNLESS there are hardware differences. Admittedly this can sometimes just be differences in the case design but as the ARTE100 and ARTE110 are identical to look at this doesn't explain it.

My guess would be that whichever T-Mobile is selling a version with wifi, that version is actually the ARTE100... :)

Guest cadaway
It's not the CID, it's the model that's the problem sadly :)

I think 110 is no WiFi, 100 is WiFi, as you say.

P

According to a post on the xda-developers site, the Dutch version is 110.

Guest Pondrew

Curiouser and curiouser... well, if that's true then there's yet hope for MDA Compact III owners who want integrated wifi on their devices :)

Paul, still surprised at CID unlock not enabling acceptance of the ARTE100 rom though given traditionally different HTC model numbers under the same platform would accept each others rom. For example the SPV M500 had a different Model ID then the other HTC Magicians but accepted their rom once CID unlocked. Similarly the Tornado family roms are interchangible despite the different Model ID numbers...

I'm still inclined to believe the MDA Compact III being sold by T-Mobile UK lacks the wifi hardware as it's unprecedented, that I know of, to have something stripped out of the rom itself. Usually it's the extended rom's job to add or remove functionality...

Guest cactusbob

If it's got the Wi-Fi hardware in it then it would be nice to get it working. If not then it's not so much of a problem, considering the 10-11 times I've actually used the Wi-Fi on my Wizard in the last year.

Guest Pondrew

Well, don't kill your device on my behalf! Reading on XDA Dev someone mentioned there MDA Compact III getting as far as 3% in their attempt to flash the HTC rom. It apparently failed at that stage. Having said that, he didn't say it was irretrievable...

Guest stormuk

Just got my unit today and realised it didnt have wifi - raised a return and upon reflection I reckon I dont mind it so much.

My issue with O2 is with the cost of using GPRS you need wifi, TMobile's w&w will mean I dont need wifi as for what I do 1gig will be fine and theres always blue tooth for home browsing....

Just hoping now they try and talk me out of the return with some sweetner as Ive decided to keep it.