Updated Vista / WMDC / CF 3.0 compatible CABviaActiveSync now available

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
cabviaactivesync.jpg
I'm pleased to a minor update to CABviaActiveSync - which is FREE since version 1.4, previously only available to MoDaCo Plus members. (hence the topic bump)

The application has been updated to version 1.5, which adds support for .net Framework 3.0 (which broke v1.4) and of course includes the previously added full Vista WMDC support (as well as XP ActiveSync support of course), including running smoothly with UAC enabled.

From my original posting:

How can a small application change your mobile life? Here's how :P

Last week, nedge2k and I were lamenting how much of a nuisance it was to install CABs on the phone. Sure, it's not complex, but there are a bunch of applications out there to try and choose from that do it (one by myself from a long time ago included!), once you've installed a CAB you need to keep a copy of it for future installs, it doesn't integrate with ActiveSync and - well - in general, it's a bit painful.

With this in mind, I mentioned to nedge2k that writing an application to integrate CABs with the ActiveSync installer wouldn't theoretically be very hard. This morning, I actually got the inspiration to do something about it... so it's my pleasure to introduce CABviaActiveSync 1.3. :)

So how does it work?

- CvAS installs on your desktop PC, and adds a right-click context menu for CAB files
- When you click the menu, the CAB is automatically parsed, copied to your ActiveSync directory, and a regular ActiveSync install is initiated
- When the install is complete, the CAB file stays in the ActiveSync directory, meaning you can un/reinstall in future, without having to archive the CAB away somewhere.

For me, it's a serious time saver.

The application can be downloaded HERE.

Enjoy, and feedback is appreciated! :D

P

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting an error while trying to install the cab file.

My error is:

The application has encountered an error: 0x0, with following description:

The operation completed successfully.

Additional information:

Unable to load the main module C:\Program Files\CABviaActiveSync\%APPNAME%.EXE or one of its dependencies.

Please contact the publisher of this application for more information.

I'm using ActiveSync 4.2 - the danish version.

EDIT! Sorry, i installet the DotNetFX and now it works.

Thanks for this app.

Edited by cork

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Sogarth

I've been getting this error on Vista when I try to use it: "Application Manager cannot install this application on your mobile device due to an invalid setup file. Reinstall and try again." This happens no matter which .cab I attempt to execute it on. And yes, I'm an administrator on the machine. ;) Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest timekeeper

Any luck on this fantastic program? Been wanting to install some CABs to my storage card on Vista, but I keep getting the same error: Application Manager cannot install this application, etc etc. I'm running Vista Ultimate and I have a XDA IIi, if you need and bugspotting or testing, feel free to let me know.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've been getting this error on Vista when I try to use it: "Application Manager cannot install this application on your mobile device due to an invalid setup file. Reinstall and try again." This happens no matter which .cab I attempt to execute it on. And yes, I'm an administrator on the machine. :) Any ideas?

Me too. I used this application a lot on XP and just recently upgraded to Vista. Any news on this? The titlebar of the popup window is "Invalid Windows CE Setup Files" if that helps (although I guess the message text made that obvious!)

Guest carlosp_uk
A friend is getting this error when runnig the program:

exception of type 'system.exception' was thrown

Any ideas?

Sadly, I get this too, which is a shame as this looks like it would be a great app!

C

• 1 month later...
Guest Wombleuk

I'm getting the same error as post #7 on my nice new shiny S710.

I've tried installing CF.Net, but it says I'v got a later version on there - I'm guessing it's included with WM6.

Cheers,

GB

• 5 weeks later...
Guest resistor

I installed this on XP service pack 2, and when i right-click on a cab file and select it i get this error message:

"This application has encountered an error: 0x0, with following description:

Task completed

Additional information:

Unable to load the main module: D:\Programs\CABviaActivesync\%APPNAME%.EXE or one of itsdependencies"

PLEASE HELP! I cannot install cab files on my PPC which is a QTEK 9000, and i need to be able to! So i really need this program! THANK YOU ;)

EDIT: Oh just saw some dude had the same problem as me... I'll do what he did... Hope it works

EDIT: DAMN IT! It still won't work....

Edited by resistor

• 1 month later...
Guest indiekiduk
I installed this on XP service pack 2, and when i right-click on a cab file and select it i get this error message:

Task completed

Additional information:

Unable to load the main module: D:\Programs\CABviaActivesync\%APPNAME%.EXE or one of itsdependencies"

PLEASE HELP! I cannot install cab files on my PPC which is a QTEK 9000, and i need to be able to! So i really need this program! THANK YOU :(

EDIT: Oh just saw some dude had the same problem as me... I'll do what he did... Hope it works

EDIT: DAMN IT! It still won't work....

Paul, any chance of a fix for this? Its been a while now.

Guest A.Bagatov

Paul, you should rename it to:

CAB2Mobile

CABtoWM or something.. because CABviaActivesync is misleading, considering it also works with Windows Device Center

:(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest arty.net
I'm getting an error while trying to install the cab file.

My error is:

The application has encountered an error: 0x0, with following description:

The operation completed successfully.

Additional information:

Unable to load the main module C:\Programmi\CABviaActiveSync\%APPNAME%.EXE or one of its dependencies.

Please contact the publisher of this application for more information.

I have the same problem of cork

I'm using ActiveSync 4.5 - the italian version.

no problem using the 1.3 version

please help me, thx in advance

Edited by arty.net

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pascal_c

Hello i have exactly the same problem, about 2 weeks later.

Task completed

Additional information:

Is it a problem with .net ?????

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.