Tumbleweed...

Guest Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

Wow this is a popular forum isn't it?

Surprised as a few members have posted about having one. No one been particularly inspired by this handset?

I noticed it's now featured in a new Virgin Mobile tv ad with Pamela Anderson I think it was. Not that Windows Mobile got a mention! :)

Guest The Doctor
Surprised as a few members have posted about having one. No one been particularly inspired by this handset?

Does anybody actually have one?

Or are they ashamed of it? :)

Phil

Guest mutleyboy

think its ugly myself,

but just thought id mention instead of the £200 price tag it launched at on PAYG, its now available on the virgin site for only £165 including £50 talktime credit!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mutleyboy

just to mention, its only £110 now from virgin, including £50 credit which you receive over a period of time for making at least 1 chargeable call a month

tempted now at that price

Guest mutleyboy

no, just £110!!

the £50 credit is a bonus. £5 initially on sim, plus £10 voucher. The other £35 is paid over 7 months as long as you make a chargeable call each month

Guest Paul (MVP)
no, just £110!!

the £50 credit is a bonus. £5 initially on sim, plus £10 voucher. The other £35 is paid over 7 months as long as you make a chargeable call each month

Holy crap!

Is that instore or online?

P

Guest awarner (MVP)

Only the medion with GPS is cheaper.

Promlem is that's an old 2003 device so this has to be the best deal around.

Now to hope reception works ok where I live.

If you go here

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/lifestyleLanding.do

and make a note of the code, although its been 14000 every time Ive been there, you get 20% off!!

Plus if you go to the site through quidco you get 10% back as well!

I'm sorely tempted by this, despite the reviews, if only yuo could get it unlocked and still get the tv I'd buy it!

Guest Confucious

At this rate if I wait another week or two it will be free! LOL

Nice one Stunno - thanks for that, I'd never heard of Quidco but it looks interesting and the 20% off is making this look even more tempting.

At this rate if I wait another week or two it will be free! LOL

Nice one Stunno - thanks for that, I'd never heard of Quidco but it looks interesting and the 20% off is making this look even more tempting.

Just found someone who won one and was selling it on another forum. He thought it was worth £200. When I pointed out it's new price I got it for £55 delivered. Should be here on Saturday!

It's worth it to use it as a DAB portable/MP3 player. If it can be an unlocked WM5 smartphone too then it will be excellent....

Guest Bongmaster

pluss now u can appunlock it and i discovered u can use Tornado Powercontrol to overclock it and it works :) got Pocket quake running much faster :D

and i hope to get a 2GB Micro SD to put in it.. i have a 1GB at the mo.. but i want to put more movies on :P

if u use Tmpmp for the movies (converted with pocket divx encoder) u can watch full screen and landscape..

(yea i like this phone :D who cares wat it looks like :( its got a DAB and TV in it :) )

• 1 month later...

Hi I have had my Lobster about 2 weeks now and I love it.

I had an SPVC550 (+ c500 and MDA compact before that) This is a lot less buggy, no freezes so far. I have every dab station I like with crystal clear reception. The TV is OK (the ITN news channel is my main use so far) and a real show off item at the new years parties :).

I paid £90 via the lifestyle link at Virgin and got the usual £50 worth of free top ups.

So far, a brilliant piece of kit loaded with Audible, TCMP, ereader, and all the usual bells and whistles.

Now if only I could get it unlocked so I can use my TMO web'n'walk allowance without having to carry 2 phones.

imei-check.co.uk can unlock it for you but there are no free methods at the moment.

Can they? I can't see the option on their site.

Mine is really only a radio at the moment, and even if I unlocked it I'm not sure I want that size in my pocket!

Just thought Id add my twopenneth in here.

Had the Lobster for just over a month now and I'm liking it. I had an old SDA and was trying to upgrade to an SP5 but had a right palaver over buying a handset (see elsewhere on this forum!) and so when I saw how cheap the Lobster was I thought Id give it a punt.

I got it in Virgin Megastore in Croydon for £99 with £25 of credit (Plus a sendaway form for a £20 store voucher). I credited an extra £5 to bring my credit balance up to the required £30, rang Virgin, asked for an unlock code ('why do you want the unlock code, we hope you dont want to leave Virgin madam') and a fib later, they sent the unlock code through the post in about 4 days.

At first I did find the keyboard a little disconcerting, and it has been one of the main gripes about this phone I think, along with the size. The keys do move more than I would like and although I thought I would be mis-hitting them all the time, I haven't really. I am a demon fast texter and I do find that I look at the keypad a bit more when Im texting than I used to with my SDA just to make sure I'm hitting the right keys and I'm a little slower, its not really bothered me and I've always been a bit fussy about phone keypads. It just feels a little odd at first, but you do get used to it.

The size isnt so bad, it just feels a bit chunky but in a kinda of favourite chunky knit jumper way than anything else. Although I must admit Ive not taken it out a night out yet, it does fit in a jeans pocket.

The DAB digital radio is great, almost always get full reception at home in SW London, when travelling on the bus and at my Mums on the coast in Kent, although it did struggle to keep a signal to the point where I gave up on it on the train from London up to Manchester last week. The TV reception is also good, full bars at my place and medium reception at Mums (sometimes had to wave the ariel around a bit) and it keeps the reception well.

Not had a good chance to test out how nippy it feels when doing processor heavy stuff as not got a microSD yet to transfer my vids and music onto but hope to do that soon.

All in all, whilst I dont think its going to be my faithful companion for ever more, its doing me very nicely right now. Part of me wishes I did manage to get the SP5 and another part is looking longingly at the O2 Graphite thats coming out at the moment, but the DAB radio is the winning things for me at the mo. Its a decent phone, obscenely cheap for a WM5 mobile and a good DAB radio. So Im quite satisfied for now!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pondrew

Another Croydon MoDaCoer! I work near East Croydon train station.

Quite liked the lobster myself the brief time I owned it. The DAB Radio is fantastic and the tv's not bad either...