T-Mobile MDA Compact III and camera

Guest gadjet

Hi,

I would like to get a MDA compact III but where I work camera phones are banned. I asked T-Mobile if they could temporarily (because I would like to sell it on later) disable the camera but they said they couldn't.

Can anyone who's got one tell if the lens is screwed on or not, if it is then I maight be able to remove it myself. Never mind the warranty :)

Cheers

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well... tell me what would consistute 'disabling the camera'. I could give you a software patch to disable it, but would your employer think that is sufficient?

I suspect a hardware mod isn't going to be straightforward.

P

Guest chiquita
Hi,

I would like to get a MDA compact III but where I work camera phones are banned. I asked T-Mobile if they could temporarily (because I would like to sell it on later) disable the camera but they said they couldn't.

Can anyone who's got one tell if the lens is screwed on or not, if it is then I maight be able to remove it myself. Never mind the warranty :)

Cheers

Would a bit of gaffer tape or something be sufficient enough to call it disabled?

Well... tell me what would consistute 'disabling the camera'. I could give you a software patch to disable it, but would your employer think that is sufficient?

I suspect a hardware mod isn't going to be straightforward.

P

As far as I can gather the current methods are

- Having the lens physically removed, i.e. unscrewing the lens if possible.

- Drill the lens and fill with epoxy resin.

- Have the phone disabled by the supplier and a letter provided to that effect.

Then Security have to register it.

There is talk of a foil type anti tamper sticker that can be applied over the lens but that's only a rumour at the moment.

It's a right royal pain in the ar**.

I don't think a SW mod would do but If they can see that the camera didn't work it might be enough, I'll ask.

Cheers

Guest GadgetMaster
As far as I can gather the current methods are

- Having the lens physically removed, i.e. unscrewing the lens if possible.

- Drill the lens and fill with epoxy resin.

- Have the phone disabled by the supplier and a letter provided to that effect.

Then Security have to register it.

There is talk of a foil type anti tamper sticker that can be applied over the lens but that's only a rumour at the moment.

It's a right royal pain in the ar**.

I don't think a SW mod would do but If they can see that the camera didn't work it might be enough, I'll ask.

Cheers

Ever though of changing job? :)

Edited by GadgetMaster

Hi,

Can anyone who's got one tell if the lens is screwed on or not, if it is then I maight be able to remove it myself. Never mind the warranty :D

Cheers

I have an old Nokia 3210 that doesn't have a camera. I'm more than happy to swap phones..... :)

I have an old Nokia 3210 that doesn't have a camera. I'm more than happy to swap phones..... :D

Hey, there's nowt like a sense of humour and believe me there's nowt like yours...... :)

Guest Pondrew

Edited topic title (second one today!)

Gadjet, there IS a device still talked about on here called the MDA III (the HTC Blue Angel by T-Mobile) so could you use your device's full name, at least in topic titles? Cheers :)