Orange going down hill

Guest moonshot

Guest emyllis

:) not half way yet

I only use them cos I have always been with them - that's the only reason really, and it's not much of a good reason. Nothing has been demonstrated recently to make me think i should take a contract phone out with them.

Guest Mattt

:D The bottom is very definitely in sight. -------- Sad really, they used to be the best by a looooong way.

They really pee me off with phrases like "Orange policy says" or "we don't have a system in place to deal with that" or "the system won't allow it" or "you can't speak to the relevant person as that department is not forward/customer facing". Grrrr. :)

lol

yes I agree totally - they used to be great but dropped dramatically in the last 2 years I believe.

have had poor experience and co-operation with them, have been with them for 3 years now I believe and 2/3 smartphone handsets in total

one of my contracts expired in November and I asked for a PUC code and they did not even bother to say "oh, why are you leaving orange? we have new deals which we think you may be interested in..." - nothing just a "sure, no problem, thanks!"

:-/

Guest pd.ryder

I believe your comments are typical of how many of Orange's customers feel - including myself :D

sporkguy has posted recently regarding the "new-improved" Orange deals for it's existing customers but there aren't many details available yet (see here for details) and I doubt they'll blow our socks off :P

Thanks France Telecom :)

Guest sporkguy
lol. ok ok, i meant a really not so friendly reply if I must clarify myself :D

Please proceed.. I'm not easily insulted/offended/amused :)

Guest chucky.egg

I'm with emyliss

I've been with Orange for 7 years now, and the ONLY reason I haven't changed is because I've got to know their ways - trying to work out and compare tariffs across networks is a nightmare.

Now I dont use GPRS any more it's easier to work out and I'm more inclined to move. My contract is up in Sept, so T-Mob or Voda are likely to get my business around then.

Guest phr34k

its a shame orange are losing so many customers really, we used to be such an inovative network.

with any luck tempest will bring customers back or at least hold onto some of the ones we have already :)

Guest pd.ryder
' date='Mar 13 2006, 16:38' post='1095']I don't see that happening really now...

Hey mono - welcome to the forum :)

I can't see there being any chance of improvement unless there's some fundamental changes in marketing strategy from the top of the Ivory Tower (well, the Orange Tower I suppose :D )

[And this infernal button won't work properly again....]

Guest pd.ryder

Who on earth dreamt up these animal 'themes'? I can't possibly imagine serious executive types sitting there and proposing this as anything more than another feeble stab at the 'yoof' market - with far too much disposable income to dispose of on cuddley-wuddley animal 'feems'.

Or maybe the CEO's grandaughter had a dream......

:)

Or maybe I'm just an old synic :D

Guest steve_smith

:D

I left and joined T-Mobile last year when Orange announced the HTC Wizard was not being released in the UK. They made no attempt to keep me as a customer.

The wife was fairly happy with Orange, but just tried to upgrade her phone today (she's just gone past the end of her 12 month contract).

They wanted her to sign up for another 18 months on a poor tarriff (something like ?25 a month for only 100 minutes and 100 texts) and add an extra ?80 for a handset she can get for free on T-Mobile.

It's a no brainer really... Flext 20 on T-Mobile gives her more calls/texts and for a tenner a month less than Orange. Plus she gets a free phone. So thats another customer Orange have lost.

She was telling me that when you ring customer services, they now have a special option on the main menu for people who are leaving :) Says it all?

Guest sporkguy

Option 4 > 3 has been around for a couple of years at least :)

But indeed, Retentions dont seem to be retaining people much these days.

Guest Swampie
Option 4 > 3 has been around for a couple of years at least :)

But indeed, Retentions dont seem to be retaining people much these days.

A colleague here at work was on Orange - spend was about ?35 per month I think - OVP O2 250 minutes + some texts thing I think. He just renewed asking about matching T-Mobile deals (costing around ?19 per month after discount). He ended up with a free C600 and what he called "a butchered tariff". I think the tariff was about ?25 per month but with double minutes compared to normal (I guess 120x2 or 100x2 = 200-240 mins), and he got a ?60 credit, which works out at a ?5 per month discount, bringing it to ?20 per month cost - close enough to the T-Mobile one he wanted to compare to. Not sure what he got with regard to texts, although he has a separate ?4/4MB data bundle added.

So they are still trying some form of retentions - although I'm sure he'd be better off on T-Mobile :D

When I got my PAC from Orange, the call lasted about 1.5 minutes - most of which was traversing their menus, and the guy explaining how the PAC worked. I phoned up, asked for my PAC and got it within a few seconds! No attempt to keep me - I was on Talk 120 - usually spending up to ?30 a month - so not a high spender.

Now I'm on T-Mobile spending ?16 per month for 200 mins, 40MB data and a free Vario :P

Guest steve_smith
Now I'm on T-Mobile spending ?16 per month for 200 mins, 40MB data and a free Vario :D

When you look at how much cheaper T-Mobile appear to be, there's only two ways of looking at the business plan/pricing. Either T-Mobile are making no money in an attempt to build their user-base, or Orange are making terrific profits from the customers they have left. I wonder which it is? :)

Guest moroni

they are aiming at being the number 3 in the Uk by the year end, and the number 2 by the end of next year.

Volume is king in their eyes and its going to blow the market wide open in the coming months as all the networks start to react, customers have never had it so good!

Guest pd.ryder
Just a shame T-Mob won't sort out the coverage in my area
Same here. I don't know the official T-Mobile stance on their coverage here but anyone local I've asked has never been too complimentary :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jchamier
' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:46' post='988']Was :D but definitely now :), and to think i've been a customer for 10 years now!

I see your 10 years and up you to nearly 12.... same number too.

Guest confucious

Just as you think Orange can't get any worse they release the "Animal" tarrifs....

The bottom has to be in sight, they can't sink much lower, surely?

They will apparently match T's voice plans for some people but not their data prices which is why SmartPhone and PPC users are deserting in droves.

My broadband is playing up which is why I am posting this from my Exec but with good 3G coverage and unlimited data it really is a pleasure to use.

Thank you T-Mobile.

The lady at Orange didn't seem at all surprised when I asked for my contract to be changed to a text only tarrif as I no longer use them - I'll give that SIM to my g/f daughter so she can text away to her hearts content until that contract expires then my g/f will do the same with hers and move to T herself (she had just signed up for another 12 months to get the C600)

Do Orange care at all?

Guest pd.ryder
Do Orange care at all?
I guess not.

I spoke with OCS 2 days ago to confirm their charging policy for text message delivery reports - these are indeed 1 pence each but thankfully for 'new customers only' :)

I discussed the pricing of T-Mobile's data package and wondered if O planned to match them. No such luck - just an embarrassed giggle from the OCS rep. She seemed quite aware customers were leaving in droves due to their current price plans and data packages.

They really don't seem to care and I can't understand why. They're a business and are losing what must be their biggest revenue makers - heavy data users.

Madness.

Guest impy78

I never really had a problem with Orange until they started all the Home screen crap - whose idea was that?

I am guessing whoever came up with it was in a state of inebriation at the time.

That was the start of the problems for me....until the other day, when I was mocked by one of their foreign call centre staff, because he could not understand my (very faint), northern accent. And it took him about 5 minutes to work out I was saying "0" not "8".

I felt like going over there and ramming my phone up his bum.

Edited to add: And whenever I speak to them a technical problem, they assume that as I female, that I have the technical IQ of a retarded chicken.

Like when I called them to say that there had been a problem with reception, and I kept being cut off all the time.

"It's a handset fault"

I explained 12 TIMES that it had affected not only my phone, but 6 of my friends on Orange as well.

"No it's your phone"

Had my phone orchestrated some sort of trojan attack on the other phones, I wondered?

It went back to technical support 8 times.

After 3 WEEKS they admitted there had been an outage.

W*****s!