Mobile Charges Slashed for Abroad Calls

Guest tsutton

Guest sporkguy
Orange Chief Executive Officer Sanjiv Ahuja said: "Roaming is a valuable service that gives customers the convenience and peace of mind of being easily contactable wherever they are."
Valuable to Orange as well, I'll bet its one of their best revenue raisers.

25%? You've got to be kidding, thats nothing to what it costs THEM to connect your call.

oh and has anyone else noticed its cheaper to call America from a PAYG handset than it is to call another network in the UK!? That's madness if you ask me.

Guest dr who
Valuable to Orange as well, I'll bet its one of their best revenue raisers.

25%? You've got to be kidding, thats nothing to what it costs THEM to connect your call.

oh and has anyone else noticed its cheaper to call America from a PAYG handset than it is to call another network in the UK!? That's madness if you ask me.

Thanks the lord! The missus spent a week in Cannes one year and ran up over ?150 of call charges in that week. Normally takes her at least a month!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pd.ryder

I'm always as cheesed-off as the next bloke about having to pay hugely exaggerated costs for calls when roaming.

However, I'm even more cheesed-off about having to pay international calling charges to speak to my wife when we are both in France / Spain / Potugal etc on our hols.

I mean, surely once we are both registered on this 'ere foreign network, we shouldn't have to pay to call all the way to Blighty and then back again when, physically, we're only a mile or so apart.

I appreciate the techie logistics of why this happens, but there must be a different way for mobile companies to operate this system and keep their customers' costs down. Maybe, they've never considered it? :)

Guest sporkguy
I'm always as cheesed-off as the next bloke about having to pay hugely exaggerated costs for calls when roaming.

However, I'm even more cheesed-off about having to pay international calling charges to speak to my wife when we are both in France / Spain / Potugal etc on our hols.

I mean, surely once we are both registered on this 'ere foreign network, we shouldn't have to pay to call all the way to Blighty and then back again when, physically, we're only a mile or so apart.

I appreciate the techie logistics of why this happens, but there must be a different way for mobile companies to operate this system and keep their customers' costs down. Maybe, they've never considered it? :)

Two words, Paul: Revenue Raiser :D

Guest wombleuk
Two words, Paul: Revenue Raiser :)

Up until about 6 years ago, this didn't happen.

When I was in France and called a local restaurant to book a table, I'd only get charged for a local call.

It was the same talking to my brother-in-law on his mobile when he was trying to find us.

Also, even earlier than that, I was sent to Singapore with a team of people to work for a week.

We were a bit concerned about calling each other as it would cost the Earth.

However, one of the guys, who was a bit tech-savvie in telecoms said that the local (country's) controller would know that the two phones were in the same cell/country and route the call directly, so only charging for a local (relatively) call.

I can't believe that the system has actually changed to route traffic halfway around the world and back, when it can be done so much easier and cheaper.

So, as sporkguy said, the only reason for this change had to be to increase revenue.

Mind you, I imagine the complexities of cross-network/country billing and accounting had a large part to play in it as well.

Guest Lin H

That is fine for roaming charges but what about the minimum daily charges for eaach network when you are abroad. This could clock up excessive charges going onto different networks throughout Europe. Does anyone know of any provider that does not make these charges for GPRS roaming

Guest pd.ryder

The last few times I've been to France, I've locked my phone to Orange France, rather than allowing it to roam freely and log-on to whichever network it decides to choose. I managed to save a few quid doing this.

I noticed the OCS 150 number worked (to English OCS :) ) and this too was charged at an international rate. Whilst speaking to OCS, they were completely unaware I could do this and had no idea how much I would be charged.

Business as usual, then :D